Author Topic: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction  (Read 33476 times)

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:08:51 PM »
Something I'm migrating from Beast's Lair, because I thought the discussions needed to be brought here for good reason, considering that it's something that needs to be brought here.

Here's an example of something that can be said here, as it's my opinion, not something I consider factual in everything:

Spoiler for Xamusel's example of what annoys him in fanfics:
Y'know what? I hate it when people seem to think that they don't have any need for improvement in writing. There's no such thing as "perfect" in this life.

Also, I'm partially guilty of this myself, but I hate it when a fanfic follows an anime word for word. Reason why I am partially guilty of it is because I'm trying to put in a framework for the different changes that are being made in my particular story, but in order for me to do that, I need to have some semblance of the original work before I write in the changes.

I hope that explains what I'd like to see in this thread.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:52:02 PM by Alice »

Tyrnek

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
Re: Things that annoy you in fanfiction discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »
Author's notes in the body of the story. Too much of a flow-breaker for me. I prefer them to be in posts following the main story post, so that those who want the information can get it, while those who just want to get on with the story can ignore them entirely.

inb4 hypocrisy accusations.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
I know what you mean. I find that all that much annoying as well.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
OK, well, personally, what annoys me is when people try to write fanfics without actually understanding the source material, and make no effort to rectify this. I've seen some really terrible characterisation and plot holes come from that before.

Also, I don't like it when people kill off characters for no reason, or just to be "edgy", particularly if it's someone I like (which mainly means Sakura...). I understand character death is sometimes needed in a story, but just doing it to make the ending look a little less perfect or because you just don't like them is really annoying. Particularly if it's then glossed-over and everyone but that character is perfectly happy.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
Remind me to find a way not to make a mess of that to begin with.

I mean, a story that I'm writing is set in a timeline which is famous for killing off characters brutally, aka because of "Kill 'em All" Tomino (the guy who created the Gundam franchise). I have no intention of killing off the majority of the cast that way, at least unless it involves the Newtype ideology that's famous in said timeline, which includes how people are supposed to evolve.

I don't want to be an idiot involving the use of character death, but this is a story set in a Gundam timeline known for having a depression-induced creator, and it is a crossover with the Nasuverse. I just don't know what all I am supposed to do to begin with.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
Well, like I said, killing off characters when it makes sense is OK, although it is likely to turn off at least some of the readers (I, for example, would be unlikely to continue reading a fic in which Sakura was killed-off). It's just doing so gratuitously or, worse, because you have an irrational hatred for the character (someone like Zouken I fully understand wanting to kill off, but Sakura I don't) that I can't stand.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »
I understand what you mean.

Of course, Zouken is not gonna live long in said story, as compared to the start and end of the story (for example, the story is going to last at least 40 years in-universe, from Ilya's birth to the end of a major war in the setting).

Then again, I don't want to ignore any of the characters I write about, which I know can annoy people if I do so.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense.

And, yeah, people ignoring characters is another thing that gets at me, particularly important characters.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
I figured that would be another annoyance.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »
In the case of crossovers the only thing that irks me is the criticism from people who don't actually know both source materials and think that their opinions are invaluable and perfectly valid.

as for ignoring or killing characters I'm okay with both depending on a story's context and premise

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »
Not knowing both source materials doesn't mean you can't criticise what you do know, especially when the story is posted on a site that caters to one of the fandoms. Further, if you're expecting people to read it without knowledge of both series, you should expect them to comment on it.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 07:25:42 PM »
There you've missed the words I used, I'm fine with input when people acknowledge their ignorance about one or the other subject , it's when people assert facts or complaints like they are unassailable or more important than the work as such. This is one reason why the cross overs I did on beasts lair were discontinued and featured here since you guys are more sensible

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
I find that to be annoying, what you went through, lantz.

Then again, what I also find annoying is that there aren't stats for Servants that serve under someone as a what-if, like Kariya with Diarmuid.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
Funny thing is having created role playing game systems I can tell you that there is a way to get the numbers for the thing you're looking for xam, nasu just hasn't released the system specs

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
Lantz, I think it's quite dangerous to assume that the stats given to servants follow any kind of consistent pattern. The impression I always got is that Nasu basically pulls them out of his ass based on a very vague concept that a more powerful master means better stats....