Author Topic: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction  (Read 33492 times)

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
  • I don't want no trabble
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Annoy You in Fanfiction
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2014, 07:44:31 PM »
If a first chapter is really bad, it's safe to assume a writer may not improve much within the story.

Sometimes, people hope it can improve. Everybody hopes a fic does that if its premise is exciting.
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

I told you I wanted no trabble.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2014, 02:27:01 AM »
...sheesh. How long have I been away from this thread?

Anyway, an annoyance I have is people dissing OCs, when they could very well help improve the canon characters.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »
Self insert Sue ocs. Fucking hate those.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 14, 2014, 04:53:18 AM »
I never said what sort of OCs they were... at all.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 17, 2014, 08:41:43 AM »
Original characters are always going to be under the sword of Damocles no matter who they are. Unless they are just background characters they'll be attacked by someone in the fandom. Strangely I find the only place original characters get fair due is in superhero books (ironic considering how tightly wound CB fans are in general) the thing that annoys me most is the attitude of hate new stuff is the default in fan fiction. If people would give stories and characters proper chances in fan fiction I think the stigma around fan fiction would disappear.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 17, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Well, I think the issue is two-fold. Firstly, fanfic is almost by definition generally (although not always) less well-written than the original story is. After all, the original story is something that someone managed to get people to buy in reasonably large quantities, whereas fanfic is often written by 13-year-olds with no concept of how to write a story. As a result, OCs also tend to be less good characters than the characters they're placed next to, and thus that sticks out. It's not true of all OCs, of course, but it's true of enough that they get a stigma attached to them.

Secondly, people who are reading a fanfic are doing so because they are interested in the original story, which means the characters, settings etc. OCs aren't part of that, which means they lack the existing connection with the readers that the canon characters have and, therefore, the author has to work harder to get people to be interested in them, and may not be able to do so at all for certain people (I'm not going to be interested in an OC-only story unless the OC happens to have a connection to Sakura, and even then I'd be wary).

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »
I don't mind OCs, just ones that are Power-trip Mary Sue Author-insert OCs. I won't like a badly written oc, but I won't like a badly done canon character either.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 17, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
Unfortunately your attitude leads to the stagnation of fan fiction Mike. If the world never grows the characters become stunted or otherwise parrot the original work. A lot of people disregard fan fiction because fans don't accept change or rail against any kind of addition or theoretical /alternative explanation, characterization and so on, thus making it a pain to produce anything that isn't a factory pressed disappointment to a would be fandom author.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 17, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm not making a judgement on whether it's a good or bad thing, I'm giving an explanation of why I think it's the case that OCs are often frowned-upon. Personally, I have no issue with OCs in stories. However, I am primarily reading them for the characters rather than the setting, so if the canon characters don't show up much or at-all I probably won't be overly bothered about the story.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2014, 05:40:04 AM »
Also OCs are often poorly written, so people often disregard them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:15:51 PM by Sakura »

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2014, 05:42:05 AM »
Er... you misspelled "poorly". That's something I find annoying in fanfiction (misspellings).

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 21, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
An addition on the OC thing: When they're paired with canon characters. That's never good, ever.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
Actually, I don't agree. For a story like FSN or Tsukihime, where there are many heroines and only one significant male character, it's ridiculous to assume that everyone but the heroine whose route it is will end up being single for the rest of their life. They're going to get into other relationships, and sometimes those relationships are important to the story. Of course, it can be done very badly indeed, but it doesn't have to be.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:57 PM »
Well I've never, ever, seen it done well.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 21, 2014, 08:28:52 PM »
I think Nerroth did a reasonably good job of it in his fics (they're in the fanfic board if you want to check them out), and I have an idea for an OC that would be paired with Sakura post-UBW. I think it can be done fine as long as the pairing either makes sense within the context of the story, or else the OC is a side-character who is mostly there just to fill out the world a bit.