Author Topic: Newbish fan with a couple of questions for a F/SN fanfiction  (Read 2303 times)

AzureTheta

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
Newbish fan with a couple of questions for a F/SN fanfiction
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:32:07 AM »
So I've been mulling ideas around off and one ever since I read the F/SN visual novel and watched Fate/Zero four years ago. I just discovered the new F/SN animated series and while thinking on my ideas I got hit by inspiration that made me want to actually start writing a fanfiction. My biggest question concerns F/HA and the Heaven's Feel route. I've looked up and down the Type-Moon wiki on info about Avenger, Bazett, and F/HA in general, but just reading a wiki is very difficult to piece together what's going on in that story. So my question is Does F/HA affect what happens after Heaven's Feel in any big, major way? I wanted to write a story of the 6th Holy Grail War where the Eizenburg family reactivates Heaven's Feel to open the path to the Greater Holy Grail again. However, I do not wish to just completely ignore F/HA, but since there doesn't seem to be a way to read it in English yet I decided to ask for help.

Another major question I feel I should ask is are there other series that are important to tie to F/SN in terms of writing a cohesive fanfiction? I do eventually want to branch away from just F/SN, but atm I would like to divert my free time to planning and plotting out this fanfiction and perhaps getting a chapter or two done while I still have this passion in me.

And third is just some help for thinking of someone to fill the Assassin role. For every other role I kinda thought of a list of potential candidates and then built the master's personality to work off of them, but I really want Assassin's master to be an Eisenburg mage who commands a legion of puppets and a few powerful homonculi in preparation for this war. Basically, a guy who's had enough of the Eisenburg participant in the previous wars failing (or disobeying in Ilya's case). I kinda wanted an Assassin who could possess the puppets or have some way to make the puppets stronger, but I can't really find any legends that seem to fit. And yes, I know this is more of Castor's territory, but I have already decided Castor's, Saber's, and Rider's roles in the story and will not budge on them.

I thank everyone who takes the time to respond. I have tried my best to keep to either stick to the rules from F/SN and Fate/Zero or think of a really good reason why a rule got broken.

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Newbish fan with a couple of questions for a F/SN fanfiction
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 01:37:26 PM »
Well, technically, unless he was to exploit some loophole in the system the only servant available for the assassin class would be Hassan al Sabbah.

Also, it's usually said Einzbern, not Einsburg. And it's Caster, not beaver (castor).

As for F/HA, well it does give more hindsight on the 3rd HGW and the grail itself if memory serves me right. I heard they made a F/HA english patch, so I'd look for it if I were you or something.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
It's never spelled einsburg, is there? I thought the worst romanization of it was einsbren.

If you seriously want to write fanfiction about Fate, yes should at the very least read the visual novel in its entirety. Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is also reccomended, but it's not as absolutely imperitive as Fate/Stay Night.

Hollow has a completed translation avalible on forums.nrvnqsr.com; the main story is extremely good.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:03:49 PM by Sakura »

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Well, considering Toosaka is a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if Einsburg was as well.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
Does F/HA affect what happens after Heaven's Feel in any big, major way?

No, HA is a completely separate story which doesn't explicitly follow after any of the routes.

Another major question I feel I should ask is are there other series that are important to tie to F/SN in terms of writing a cohesive fanfiction? I do eventually want to branch away from just F/SN, but atm I would like to divert my free time to planning and plotting out this fanfiction and perhaps getting a chapter or two done while I still have this passion in me.

There's nothing essential to FSN, really. Tsukihime is set in the same universe, but there isn't really anything in there that's essential to understanding FSN.

It's never spelled einsburg, is there? I thought the worst romanization of it was einsbren.

If you seriously want to write fanfiction about Fate, yes should at the very least read the visual novel in its entirety. Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is also reccomended, but it's not as absolutely imperitive as Fate/Stay Night.

Hollow has a completed translation avalible on forums.nrvnqsr.com; the main story is extremely good.

He did say he'd read the VN. Hollow, I think, is only necessary if you're intending to use HA-only characters. I've never read it, certainly.

Well, considering Toosaka is a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if Einsburg was as well.

The "oo" in "Toosaka" is a perfectly valid romanisation of the long o that we usually write as "oh", though. I can't see how you can possibly romanise Einsburn as "Einsburg".

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »
I don't think it is, but that's besides the point. It's just not how it's spelled or pronounced.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:03:09 PM »

He did say he'd read the VN. Hollow, I think, is only necessary if you're intending to use HA-only characters. I've never read it, certainly.

It expands upon characters who appeared in Fate/Stay Night, but didn't get much detail, such as Lancer and Rider. If you want to write fanfiction, it would certaintly help. And also, the main story is really great.

The "oo" in "Toosaka" is a perfectly valid romanisation of the long o that we usually write as "oh", though. I can't see how you can possibly romanise Einsburn as "Einsburg".
[/quote]
It's usually Einzbern, IIRC. Type Moon romanization sucks anyway, they have altria, artoria, illyasfeel von einsbren, for example.

AzureTheta

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
Sorry, sorry. It's a bad habit I picked up since my closest friend who introduced me to F/SN spells it Eizenburg. I think he only saw the anime and spells it as he hears it, and it kinda rubbed off on me. I know it's a really wrong spelling, I'll try and ween off it.

@francobull3 I'm perfectly aware that only Hassan al Sabbah is the true assassin, but tbh I feel that rule is really limiting as to potential assassins. I'm not gonna outright break it, but as far as I can tell in the Nasuverse the rules are secondary to a good story.

Oh, and the translation is complete? I checked last October and it was still not quite done yet so I had given up on it. Ty for letting me know.

@Sakura Well, I plan on using mostly completely new characters with just nods as to what happened in the past, so getting to know characters from F/SN isn't exactly important. I'll definitely read F/HA though, but for now I'mma focus on fleshing my fanfic out.

Again, thank you everyone.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 08:43:47 PM »

It expands upon characters who appeared in Fate/Stay Night, but didn't get much detail, such as Lancer and Rider. If you want to write fanfiction, it would certaintly help. And also, the main story is really great.

Sure, although I've seen quite a few people question it's canonicity. I don't think it's a requirement, though, most FSN fanfics have been written without it.

It's usually Einzbern, IIRC. Type Moon romanization sucks anyway, they have altria, artoria, illyasfeel von einsbren, for example.

Well, yeah, my point is that romanisation is not an exact science, because Japanese pronunciation does not have a one-to-one correspondence with English writing. "Altria" is just as valid a romanisation of Saber's name written in Japanese as "Artoria" is, and better than "Arturia", it just doesn't really make sense when you consider the name that the Japanese version is transliterated from. Using "Altria" for Saber is like calling me "Maiku" on the basis of a Japanese transliteration of my name. 

Sorry, sorry. It's a bad habit I picked up since my closest friend who introduced me to F/SN spells it Eizenburg. I think he only saw the anime and spells it as he hears it, and it kinda rubbed off on me. I know it's a really wrong spelling, I'll try and ween off it.

Yeah, that's definitely going to confuse people.

@francobull3 I'm perfectly aware that only Hassan al Sabbah is the true assassin, but tbh I feel that rule is really limiting as to potential assassins. I'm not gonna outright break it, but as far as I can tell in the Nasuverse the rules are secondary to a good story.

Yeah, honestly, if you do that virtually no-one is actually going to mind that much, as long as you basically admit that you are aware of this and don't really care because you feel it limits the story.

@Sakura Well, I plan on using mostly completely new characters with just nods as to what happened in the past, so getting to know characters from F/SN isn't exactly important. I'll definitely read F/HA though, but for now I'mma focus on fleshing my fanfic out.

Ah, right, OK.

Then you probably don't need HA, honestly. I wouldn't expect Rider or Lancer to show up in your fic, and FSN tells you easily enough about the main human characters that you could do what you're intending without difficulty. Plus, HA is an AU story, so it wouldn't have happened in your timeline unless you really want it to have.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:46:36 PM by Cherry Lover »