Author Topic: A Lesson in Magical Theory-Second Chances (A Retelling of the Fifth Holy Grail)  (Read 27106 times)

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
1. Stop Berserker’s transformation at any cost:
2. Allow Berserker to transform: TheMegas, Council
3. Force Berserker on the offense: G-Man

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
With three more people calling for Berserker to transform I believe the decision is pretty set in stone. Therefore I'll end voting tonight.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
His shoulder was on fire. It felt as if a thousand needles were being stabbed through his arm. He needed to move his arm to stand up but his mind was a haze. The more he attempted to struggle against the pain the worse it got.

He couldn’t resist, the pain was too much. It was only a glance at his painful arm but his mind nearly shut down at the sight.

Blood, so much blood was coming out of his arm. It was all coming from the huge hole that had etched its way into his arm pinning him to the ground.

He couldn’t even believe that the human body had this much blood. It etched a foul smell into the air and his throat went dry. He wanted to scream, he needed the pain the blood to go away, but he couldn’t do anything but stare at the wound.

“Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!”

A blood curdling scream that shook the very rooftop brought Shirou back to reality. Turning towards his Servant he couldn’t believe his eyes.

His face was bubbling and smoking in a disgusting manner as the knight’s forehead looked as if it might split into two.

But the pain continued its assault on his body, what was once a thousand needles became a thousand daggers as a heat ten times a strong assaulted his entire body.

He needed to breath, but his breathing was ragged and hoarse as he began gasp for breath only to internally scream as he found nothing but a heated vacuum.

Was this the end? Was Shirou Nosuke going to die here?

The pain was finally too much for his body to bear, with one last glance he looked on at his Servant as the man was split into two and his body had finally collapsed.

This was a tale from days long past. A distant tale forgotten by time and warped by memories.

It was a large gathering of people, a family reunion, but the boy didn’t care about any of that. He was more concerned with the recent birth of his newborn sister, about when he could go back outside and play with his friends, mundane everyday thoughts like these flooded his mind.

But he knew what was proper of a young gentleman like himself. Bitterly, he bore it as numerous older people who he knew nothing about talked to him, congratulating him and his parents about the birth of his new sister.

But he didn’t care much about that either. He had only seen his sister a few times by now but he still didn’t understand who she was. All he wanted to do was leave these annoying people and find someplace to hide until the reunion was over.

Finally the time for greeting was over and people were beginning to enjoy the feast laid out before them, after which the guests continued to mingle inside the large open hall. But the boy didn’t really understand the complex talk most of the adults talked about.

Quietly he wandered the open halls, doing his best to copy the actions he saw his father once carry out.

And it was then that he met, ‘him’.

He stood out because of the shining red hair very similar to the boy’s own but also his looks. He was by far older than the boy, but still younger than all the other adults in the room. But he carried with him a beaming smile as he played with the remnants of the night’s dinner, a smile beaming across his face.

There was something about the movements in his hands, the grace with which he hacked away at the leftover steak, and the gleeful mutterings that completely captivated the young boy’s innocent mind.

Eventually the older boy noticed as the younger continued to stare at his play, and closing his eyes in glee, his face gleaming even brighter he spoke out.

“Hi! Name’s Uryuu, wanna play!?”

***************************************************************************************

As he grew older, the boy was often asked questions about his future. But one thing above all stood out to his developing ears.

“What do you want to be when you grow up?”

It was a question first asked by his teacher during his first years in school but the boy took the question very seriously. Even as it was repeated by his parents and even his younger sister he never allowed himself to answer halfheartedly.

Perhaps it was some empty thought from long ago, or perhaps he was twisted in some way but he never allowed himself the chance to respond improperly.

As the years went by he often found himself considering that question, but could never find an answer. As the other kids often responded with their own youthful responses he couldn’t bring himself to do it.

Even as his mind screamed at him to just say something, anything that would allow the older people to leave him alone he still could not bring himself to do it.

Was there something wrong with him? Why couldn’t he respond properly to such a simple question? That’s all it would take, one simple response. But he couldn’t do it.

“What did he want to do? What was his purpose in life? Why did he live?”

There was only one answer he could think of even as he got older.

The hazy memories of his long distant friend and relative.

Pain assaulted the man’s body. It screamed at him to get up and move, he needed to move. His senses were screaming at him to move.

After spending what seemed like hours in darkness, eventually the man opened his eyes and saw the vast open night sky above him. As the stars twinkled in the darkness he felt like reaching up towards them but something was wrong.

He couldn’t feel his right arm. It must have just rained recently as his body was soaked and freezing.

Dark thoughts began to cross the man’s head, he felt that something urgent was going on. He needed to stand up, to look at his arm and assess the current situation. But his body was having trouble moving.

“Hey Berserker… What’s going on?”

The last thing he could remember was retreating with his honorable knight but he couldn’t remember why or when.

Yet Berserker never responded to Shirou’s calls.

“Berserker? Anyone? Where am I?”

He had to move, the numbness in his arm was screaming at him to move. He needed to turn and look at his arm.

Using all the strength he could gather with his free arm, Shirou pushed himself up with his left hand glancing at his right arm in the process. And his mind froze.

Red.

There was so much red all over his body, it wasn’t just his numb arm, under the dim light of the moon and the flickering of the nearby building lights he could make out nothing but red as far as he could see.

Like a switch flipping in his head Shirou quickly recalled everything that had happened up until he passed out, the encounter with Rin, the escape with Berserker, and Archer’s attack, he remembered it all.

And he wanted to scream, his injuries were too great, he knew he didn’t have much longer to live, his arm was already probably lost and Berserker was nowhere in sight.

What could he do? What had happened to Berseker? Was Rin and her Servant still looking for him? What about Shinji? All these things flooded his mind as Shirou needed to react and quickly before his mind gave out and he truly died.

1. Scream for help
2. Look around for Berserker
3. Call Shinji
4. Write in...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Berserker:

Saber:

Assassin:

Assassin?:

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Even though no one voted in my last choice that does not mean I will give up on you folks here on DSM. In fact you might be interested in reading my latest segment:

If anyone could save him, Shirou believed that it would be Shinji. He had to calm his own breathing and the dull pain was causing his hands to shake violently, but eventually he could feel the phone in his good hand.

Ignoring as best as he could the blood that had begun to smear all over the phone he struggled with the screen eventually reaching the number the one guy Shirou believed would be able to help him.

The phone had barely rung even once before Shinji answer the phone.

“Nosuke!? You’re still alive? Dude what is going on, I don’t know what happened but I’ve been trying to get over there.”

“..Shinji...  I think I’m dying, please, you’ve got to help me. I can’t feel my arm, there is so much blood…”

“Ah jeez man, what did I say about being careful, you knew this kind of thing could happen… Look, here’s the deal. I’ve been trying to get over there for hours after I found out what happened but those Berserkers of yours won’t let me get any closer than I already am. If I’m going to get over there to help you, you gotta do something to control your Servants.”

“Berserker? I don’t even know where he’s at… I haven’t seen him since I woke up.”

His head was throbbing, his shoulders were getting heavier by the second, Shirou couldn’t afford to wait any longer than he already had. He needed to act if he was going to live, and then he remembered the words spoken by his faithful Servant just a few days ago.

“Those Seals are an unbreakable oath that you may use on myself to grant the strength to accomplish the impossible. No matter the circumstance should you order it with one of those three oaths, the path shall be revealed.”

The pain was dulling his thoughts and clouding his judgement. Before he even realized it had happened his bloody hand that glowed in a faint red light was right in front of his eyes. If he used one of these seals he could allow Shinji to come and save him.

“Alright… Shinji, I think I know what to do, just give me a minute…”

If there was ever a time to use the miracles now was that time. Holding his arm as steady as he could prayed to the starry sky and to wherever his Servant was hiding in order to grant his savior safe passage.

“By this Command Seal, I order you Berserker. Grant Shinji Matou safe passage, you are not to harm him under any circumstance!”

“Alright Shinji, you should be safe now please I don’t know how much longer I can stay awake.”

“Yeah yeah I’m coming over now, hang in there… Say Nosuke, while I’m getting over there, would you care to talk?”

“What do you mean Shinji? Did something else happen?”

“Heh, that’s just like you Nosuke, you could be lying on the ground dying and you would still concern yourself with me first, as if it were natural. Well as a matter a fact a few things have happened. You remember how I summoned my own Servant right?”

“Yeah, just like me, were a team, and we’re working together to win this Holy Grail War right?”

“...Of course, of course. You’ve always been a faithful companion Nosuke, even going so far as to join me in my little ‘adventures’ just like at the museum. If it weren’t for you I have to admit my life would have been far messier without your help.”

“Uh sure of course, ugh, are you almost here Shinji? I’m not sure how much longer I can stay awake, you gotta hurry.”

“Just a few more minutes I’m going as fast as I can. But Nosuke, you know… There is something else I haven’t been telling you… You see, the Servant that I’ve summoned, Assassin is only partially mine. It was actually a gift from my relative, someone you never got the chance to meet.”

“What? What are you trying to say Shinji? I’m confused.”

“Hey Nosuke, you know… You know that you’ve always promised to help me right? Aren’t we a team?”

“Shinji?”

“Yeah of course we are. That’s the only reason you’ve stuck around for so long right? To help me out? Then there is something I need to ask you, it’s something I’ve been holding off on asking but now I can’t think of a better time.”

“Wh-what do you mean?”

Finally Shirou could hear Shinji’s approach as his friend’s footsteps echoed on the steel stairway that led to the roof, the door was already ajar as Shinji ran through the door.

“Oi Nosuke, you still alive?”

Quickly, Shinji ran up to his friend with a face full of concern and eyes brimming with joy.

“Thank god, Shinji, please help… My arm, it hurts so much.”

A flash of disgust flew across Shinji’s face as he finally saw Shirou close up, but whatever disgust he had was held back as he suppressed the urge to vomit.

“Alright, let’s see what I can do here, leave it to your good pal Shinji. First off we need to examine your body. Lie down on the floor so I can take a look.”

Carefully lying down yet again, Shinji did his best to sit still while Shinji looked over the wound, first his shirt had to be removed due to the amount of blood and cloth that had begun to stick to his body. After which Shinji attempted to clean the wound with whatever materials he had on hand from the small first aid kit he had brought.

“Ah geez man you weren’t kidding when you said you got hurt real bad. I don’t think I brought enough cloth… Hey… Is this your Seal?”

As he continued to wipe off the blood, Shinji’s movements froze when he came across the glowing red mark that proved the contract with a Servant. He continued to glance at the mark as he caressed the dim magical energy that shined from the skin.

“What’s wrong Shinji? Is something the matter?”

“You know Nosuke, you promised to always help right? You would be my friend until the end right?”

“Ok Shinji seriously, this isn’t funny man, I need help, I’m dying here!”

“...My…”

“What?”

“I said this is MY story.”

“You’re scaring me man, what the hell are you going on about.”

Shinji’s look of frozen concern began to change as he reached into his pocket he retrieved the small leatherbound book that Shirou recognized all too well, but something was different. Now he held two books in his hand, both were identical with that same strange marking that was sketched across the reddish brown canvas.

But why did he have two?

“You see Shirou, you’ve met Assassin before right? Well Assassin as a combatant is rather weak, as strong as they are compared to us humans, they are pathetically weak compared to the likes of Saber or Rider, so I’m going to have to take your Servant in order to strengthen my own position.”

“My Servant? You mean Berserker?” Shirou’s body was still weak, he was having trouble keeping up with the conversation, perhaps the blood loss was too severe.

“Yes… I’m gonna ask you to take part in my biggest plan yet, something that’ll be sure to grant me victory and allow my Grandp… I mean MY own wish to come true! He told me a lot of things you know, that old geezer. He even told me just what I could do in order to return myself to the lineage I deserve to have. All I have to do is win this war, and in order to do that, I’m gonna need your Servant.”

As Shinji turned away, before Shirou had even realized what happened the dagger was already flung. In one swift motion Shirou screamed as his arm was separated from his body.

His body couldn’t take any more, as the life faded from his eyes though his dimming conscious he could hear Shinji’s final speech.

“ALRIGHT! I was gonna do that later but you made things easy for me Nosuke, as usual. Now where are those Berserkers…”

Bad End

********************************************************************************[/center]

“It is time… Once more we shall take the stage, for a triumphant return! Too long have we waited hiding in the darkness. But now is our chance, we will strike with all we have!”

“Hello! And welcome to the Taiga Dojo! I am your host, Illyasviel, and together with my pupil Tiger, we have come once more to help those when they need it most!

“Excuse me?”

*Smack! Smack!*

“Such strength…”

“Ahem, as I was saying. Hello folks! Welcome once more! I am the leader of this grand establishment, Taiga! Here today to help you when you are your lowest point, to those who have been beaten and mangled, we will act as your shining knights, to bring light to this darkened path and illuminate the path of truth!”

“I thought we were just going to provide information on how they got a bad end?”

“Ah yes… Of course! As my pupil most kindly suggested you are here because of one reason and one reason alone!”

“You died…”

“Exactly~ But how did it happen? What did you do wrong? Well allow Student #1 to reveal it!”

“Their mistake lies in trusting Shirou’s friend far too much far too quickly. By relying on him before finding out his intention you placed yourself in a position that allowed him to take advantage of you in your time of need. And without Berserker there was nothing you could do, thus poor Shirou died. But it doesn’t really matter, especially since he’s nothing like my Shirou.”

“How harsh, doesn’t a little sister’s love extend past space and time? And yet here we are without any compassion, no love, no faithfulness…”

“I only state the truth~”

“I see. Well anyways, it seems like we are all out of time, this has been your host Taiga Fujimura together with my assistant…”

“Illyasviel von Einzbern!”

“We hope to see you again soon!”

Alright folks here is where things get interesting, you've reached your first bad end, congratulations!

I'm sure most of you remember my promise right? Therefore two options are laid before you, the chance continue the story, or the chance to retry from the last set of choices.

So what shall it be?

1. Return to the choices (Shirou)
2. Continue in England (Bram)
3. Continue at the hospital (Sakura)

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Continue with Sakura!!!

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
3. Continue at the hospital (Sakura)

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Given how lame was Berserker Gilles I'm voting for Sakura because obviously Milbunk will self-insert into Bram.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Current Votes:

1. Return to the choices (Shirou): Li Shuwhere, BibliophileGoat
2. Continue in England (Bram):
3. Continue at the hospital (Sakura): Bdoom, TheMegas, mAc Chaos, Nuclear Consensus, Magus, CyberNinja, Mike, Kat

I'll leave the vote up until Tuesday night.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
The votes are settled looks like you guys will be getting your wish after all, expect more news in a few days.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
That urgent business has just gotten worse I'm afraid to say.

As such I don't feel confident in posting anymore and as such this particular adventure will from this point on be put on hold until further notice.

Sorry about that.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
What urgent business?

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
“Sigh…”

I took another glance at my cellphone but the time display had only showed the passage of a few minutes.

“Sigh…”

No matter how often it happened I still couldn’t quite get used to the idea of these long waits during missions. Or maybe it was stress that was building up over the past few weeks?

Another meaningless glance at my phone and then I glanced around the waiting lounge of the hospital, still no sign of him. When would he arrive?

Assassin was still watching the outside of the building and would inform me should he show up, I knew this all too well but I was beginning to feel anxious. Would he even bother to show up?

I couldn’t take this much longer, I needed to calm down, to keep my focus, flipping open the phone I typed a short but precise message to my contact on the outside while my thoughts continued to wander.

*********************************************************************************

I remember the first time I ever laid eyes on her. What was supposed to be just another evening in that ‘place’ turned into an event that would shape the rest of my life. Confused and disoriented I had no idea how to react when I opened my eyes and saw her face.

How could I? My mind was dead, all I could do was stare at her with blank open eyes.

“It’s alright, you’re safe now. I’ll do everything I can to protect you, so don’t worry.”

That was the first thing she said to me, a simple phrase, but her gentle embrace made those words all the more sincere. But even then I still could not believe the situation I was in, everything felt like a dream. This kind of thing shouldn’t happen to a person like me, but she made it sound as if everything would truly be alright.

So even if it was only for a moment, I allowed myself to fall into her embrace. That was the first time I ever met the woman who would soon become my mother. That was the first time I would ever meet Maiya Emiya.

Over the years I learned various skills under my new mother and adoptive father Kiritsugu Emiya a man with only one arm. Apparently he had lost it during one of his missions, but he would never say which mission of how it happened and it wasn’t within my right to ask. Together along with my new sister we learned various skills in the art of combat and survival much to Kiritsugu’s reluctance.

He was so against it in fact that at first he outright refused the thought of teaching us magic. But in the end he was won over after insistence from Maiya, back then I couldn’t figure out just what she had told him to change his mind like that, but now I realize it.

Myself and my sister, we were special. Compared to other magi we had enormous capacity to grow. And that would make us targets against those would seek to use us for their own personal gain. He had to give us these skills, allow us to grow or else our chances of survival would be slim.

It was during this period of time that I learned where my skills lay. I had the power to control the imaginary, spirits, and beings that were not innate to this world. With my hands I could create powerful familiars, beings that could imitate the looks of feel of humans but they themselves could never truly be alive.

My teacher was smart with her methods, she taught me that magic was not the only way to obtain victory. Sometimes the simplest option was the best, and thus I learned how to wield firearms, drive vehicles, arm explosives, craft that most normal magi would consider barbaric I learned to use without a second thought.

If I was going to survive I had to do everything within my means to accomplish that goal, I either hunted or was hunted, that was how I lived for nearly fifteen years.

My sister on the other hand was different, her body was special, her connection to a unique magic called wishcraft was so strong that she disliked the use of such simple firearms. Much preferring to rely on her great magical capacity which far exceeded even my own and allowed her to accomplish the tasks that I could, without the need of most modern equipment. She did however, take a liking to various automobiles, in particular the faster they could go the more she appreciated them. Her skills behind the wheel on the other hand were rather harsh and extreme, something that her normally calm and elegant demeanor would normally never show.

My new ‘father’ on the other hand was someone I could never truly read. When he spoke his voice was often calm but controlled, as if every word of his was carefully spoken in order to never allow a glimpse of a weakness. This was one of the methods that he had trained with his entire life, one of the reasons I would later find out that he got the name, the Magus Killer.

Despite surviving with only one arm his skills with his equipment far exceeded my own even on my best days. Perhaps it was simply experience but deep down I could never agree with that assessment. It was as if these weapons of death were his very life and soul, without them he would be nothing but an empty husk.

And so we trained, for nearly fifteen years I lived a life on the run from many magi who wished to harm my family, they wanted Kiritsugu for crimes he had committed in the past, though I could never figure out just what they wanted, I had strong suspicions it was related to my dear sister.

Though the years were rough, we found a fragile sort of peace together with one another. Occasionally my thoughts would often drift to the past and I wondered how ‘they’ were doing. But such thoughts often became far and few between as the years went by. And my memories of that household were becoming dim with age.

Until it happened, two weeks ago.

**********************************************************************************

We were staying in a remote part of Italy, a place that we thought was safe for the time being.
As I was reading a book, a sharp pain shot through my hand and a bruise appeared. At first I thought nothing of it, but when I showed it to Maiya her expression darkened and she called for Kiritsugu.

How did I not realize it then?

I should have known this might have happened. I could never escape the past that easily, even after fifteen years of wandering.

My sister, Illyasviel came in at nearly the same time, but for her it was much worse. Crouched down in pain her forehead began to bleed as her entire body reddened.

It was a call from the Holy Grail and the Einzbern. A call to return home and fulfill her duty as a receptacle for the Grail.

After Kiritsugu arrived he told us about the Holy Grail War and its inner mechanisms. Apparently he had once been a Master in this war, but due to the fact that the war was supposed to happen every sixty or so years he thought we’d all be safe from it.

We spoke up at the same time, I knew I had to enter this war if I was ever going to finally free myself of the past but my sister felt the same.

Surprised at our reactions Kiritsugu had little choice but to accept our insistent demands to enter the war. He knew that if he attempted to say no we would just go off on our own anyways. We were too strong willed for him, but he was in a dilemma.

He only had one catalyst and there were two of us, so we decided to settle the matter over a duel. A duel of magi, the strongest would get the catalyst while the weaker would have to find an alternative route.

It was during this duel that she finally revealed her true colors. Illyasviel von Einzbern cheated, she did something I could never forgive her for and because of it she won the duel and stole my catalyst.

After that I couldn’t stay at home any longer, I couldn’t stand being near her any longer. Perhaps deep down I was afraid of what I might do to her, I had to run.

A few days later, under the cover of darkness and with the help of my dear mother, we summoned my own Servant. Servant of the night and a true killer, Assassin.

Apparently Assassin was special, he required no catalyst. But more than that I felt that he would fit my personality more than anyone else. Someone like Saber being of the knight class was too righteous for one such as myself with such a blackened heart, Assassin was the only choice.

Assassin himself was a little odd at first, but I quickly got used to him. Whenever I did get him to talk he would often pronounce things as innocent or guilty, as if he looked at everything through either black or white lenses. And how could I blame him? With a Noble Phantasm like that it seemed like the perfect fit for him.

With less than two weeks left until the Grail War was set to begin I began to make my way towards Fuyuki City, the place where the Grail War would take place.

After my arrival I quickly began to research other possible participants, along with help from Maiya we managed to find a great deal of information on possible participants.

The Tohsaka…, the Matou…, and then the Einzbern… I couldn’t believe my own eyes when I saw the data in front of me. I felt like an outcast, tossed outside of them all, I felt I belonged to all of them and yet none.

Additionally, I obtained information in regards to the Archibalds another house of magi that had begun to entwine its fingers into the inner workings of the grail war. A man named Kayneth El-Melloi Archibald was the winner of the last war, but he had won by default as the Grail was never actually summoned and he refused to explain why unless the person he was speaking to was of a higher status than his own. And seeing as he was the ninth head of his family there were few that could achieve such a claim.

These were all great families who had amassed their wealth and power over centuries of time, and yet I felt nearly all alone. With only myself and my dearest mother, I would have to overcome great odds in order to succeed.

Could I really do this?

What other choice did I have?

*********************************************************************************

Fast forward to three days ago, when the war had officially begun, all the Masters had been chosen, and after a signal from the mediator of the church we were all set to begin.

My first day was filled with scouting various positions, and although I came across no Masters or Servants besides my own I did note a few places of interest. Besides the mansions that belonged to the Tohsaka and Matou, the Einzbern hid a castle deep in the forests of Fuyuki I I considered he thought that my father and sister might be located there, but seeing as how they were now enemies of the Einzbern I quickly put that thought to rest, and that wasn’t all.

There were small traces of magical residue on a newly built skyscraper hotel that went by the name of Hyatt. I remembered my research into the last war, had the Archibald decided to make their own move into that place? It was a very plausible thought.

But before I could delve any deeper into that mystery I ran into her, it had to of been an accident, there was no other way we would have met that quickly yet again.

Illyasviel von Einzbern, the one who broke the rules, I needed to get my revenge. And what better way than by dealing with her Servant and proving my skills as a magus and a killer.

It was then that I realized what a battle between Servants truly was. With every shot of my Servant Assassin’s daggers he shattered the air and obliterated the ground, but his opponent, Saber was even stronger.

My Assassin fought as best as he could but despite his innate strength, his skills were not enough to overcome the demon that was Saber. In the end he was overwhelmed and beaten back. Additionally my skills were too obvious to use in such a short amount of time, my familiars were easily overcome by Illya’s magic leaving me with little choice, his Noble Phantasm was the only option but in that state it would only be possible with the use of a Command Seal.

With my hand outstretched I had begun to state my order, until they appeared. With those white masks and daggers similar to my Servant’s own, I was confused at first even if I secretly welcomed their help.

And then I heard him, his voice was loud and sounded arrogant, he gave his assistance with his Assassins and Illya was forced on the retreat. As she left she vowed that she would return and settle this matter later.

Seeing as I was no longer in any danger the man gave his own farewell promising to help a ‘beautiful young lady’ such as myself should I ever be in trouble again. But even as he and his Assassins disappeared I couldn’t help but remember that voice. Why did it sound so familiar?

As I began to leave I noticed one final presence out of the corner of my eye. Turning to face it for only a second before I vanished I noticed the man with his binoculars and the knight by his side staring down at me.

I didn’t recognize this particular man, he bore no look of familiarity and thus additional research was required if I was going to solve this mystery.

Later on I would find out that his name was Shirou Nosuke and together with his friend Shinji Matou they shared an apartment in that very location. He also worked as a nurse at a local hospital, and it was there that I decided to make my first real move.

How much time had passed since I had drifted into thoughts of the past? Shaking my head to gather my scattered thoughts I glanced at my phone yet again just as it vibrated and a new message appeared on the screen.

‘Target spotted leaving the apartment, strong magical energy sensed nearby, likely a servant. Continue surveillance?’

Quickly responding with a yes, I shuddered at the thought of finally getting to see some action.

Thoughts about the plan fluttered through my head as I contemplated what my first true mission would be like. Would I be able to act as I should? Could I kill him if necessary?

These thoughts and more flew through my head as I silently waited for the next text, which appeared just in time.

‘Target is not heading towards assumed location. Should I intercept?’

Responding with a no, I wondered what he might be up to. Did he have a change of plans? Was he onto us? I had no way of telling, until the next text came in.

‘Target is engaging someone in a darkened alle…! Change of tactics, target is now being chased by another Servant, no visual available.’

What was going on? Had he fallen for some kind of trap? It appeared that someone had beaten us to the punch and without any visuals it would be difficult to plan our next course of action.

But regardless we had to move fast, before anything else could happen.

1. Chase after the target before he can escape
2. Stay in the hospital and send Maiya after them
3. Abort the operation entirely, rethink the strategy
4. Write in…

Spoiler for Hiden:
My Servant

Illya's Servant

???'s Servant

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Current Results:

1. Chase after the target personally before he can escape: Renko, Li Shuwhere, Nuclear Consensus, Bdoom, Magus
2. Stay in the hospital and send Maiya after them
3. Abort the operation entirely, rethink the strategy: Shrimperor, Council

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm going to go for 1.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Alright it looks like voting is done this time around, it appears that we will begin a full fledged chase!