Author Topic: A Lesson in Magical Theory-Second Chances (A Retelling of the Fifth Holy Grail)  (Read 27197 times)

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
If I remember when I get home, maybe. I'm planning on powerreading HF over the weekend though.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
That was mostly addressed at Mil, although you doing so would also work.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
By the way, Mil, could you please give us a warning and a vote count before you close the votes, If Ilya is still winning then I might change my vote to option 3, at least that way Sakura doesn't get totally shafted....

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
The results were a bit off last time but here are the newly updated ones:

Current Results:

1. Aid the white haired girl and the silver knight: Rafflesiac, Sinon, TheMegas
2. Aid the purple haired girl and the white mask: Sakura, Cherry Lover,
3. Watch how things unfold: Nuclear Consensus, Daiki Nihilm, Magus, mAc Chaos, G-Man, solarchon, Renko
4. Run Away: CyberNinja

I'll give this a few more days right now but so far it looks like 3 is the popular option.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Sunday night will be the end of voting but unless something dramatic happens it looks like things are mostly set in stone.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
He had no reason not to trust Berserker, and though Berserker seemingly had his own secrets Shirou could understand that, even if in the end he was slightly confused about it.

So he entrusted the decision to his newfound friend, they would wait. It was far too early to engage themselves in any battle. For now perhaps time was best spent simply watching how things unfolded.

“Alright Berserker, I will trust you. For now we will watch how things unfold, it is just like you said. I’m nowhere near strong enough to intervene yet and since it doesn’t look like they’ve noticed us, this gives us a good opportunity to watch and see.”

Shirou’s concentration was broken as he felt the strong slap on his back from his Servant. “Excellent, excellent Master! I’m so glad we can agree on this, you catch onto things quickly and that’s essential to this war. In fact it looks like your decision will soon reward itself. Take a look!”

Turning back towards the battlefield he watched the ensuing destruction and his jaw dropped. The armored woman continued to strike at the darkness with her invisible weapon. Her strength was obvious as with every swing of her arms enormous grooves were easily cut deep into the earth.

“Co...of...he...co...a...with....nor!”

With ease she dodged the blades aimed at her vital areas occasionally deflecting them out of thin air when her sword was unavailable.

The Assassin on the other hand was nearly impossible to make out from appearance alone. Occasionally the white glimpse of it’s mask could be picked out only to disappear once more as if some sort of magic made it’s body invisible just like the girl’s sword.

The fight was moving so quickly Shirou could barely keep track of what was happening. Getting dizzy from trying to concentration on the chaos between the two Servant he instead focused his attention towards the other two who were engaged in a fight of their own.

Though it was hard to make out from the distance the white haired girl seemed to be smiling as she faced off against the purple haired one. They continued their talk for a little longer before the white haired girl held her hand out and unleashed a barrage of white missiles straight for her opponent.

Who quickly rolled to the side and retrieved a small pistol from within her trenchcoat firing it off at the incoming missiles and exploding them straight out of the air and allowing the rest of th projectiles to harmlessly slam into the ground.

Now the purple one took on the offensive, firing shots straight at the white haired girl only to have them bounce off of some sort of magical barrier that was as clear as glass, before they could reach her.

“Was this… Magic?”

“Oh it appears so, my Master. And what wonderful magi they appear to be! That white haired girl especially seems to be promising.”

Yet before he could continue his words were cut short as three humanoid shapes rose from the ground surrounding the white haired girl.

“Oh no! She’s in trouble!” Shirou could tell those things were dangerous even from afar. They reached for the girl but she did not react to them. Did she even know they were there?

As if to answer his question the white haired girl only continued to smile and with a wave of her hand Shirou noticed a faint glimmer from the thin wire she used to easily dissect them,throwing them right back into the ground where they came from.

To make things worse the fight between the Servants came to a halt as blood came flying through the air. At first it was unclear who had managed to get a hit but the white mask appeared yet again blood dripping from its invisible body.

The Assassin’s wound began to glow with a thin purple light as the purple haired girl hand also glowed. But Saber was not about to give him that opportunity. She continued her offense forcing Assassin’s weakened body to fight.

Things were not looking good for the purple haired Master and her Servant, and Shirou began to hesitate. Should he help her? There was still time, he knew he could make it with his own Servant. And he doubted the armored female knight could take two foes on at once but he couldn’t reach a decision no matter what he thought.

After all, if he marched to the aid of one wouldn’t that mean condemning the other to death?

“Berserker… What do we do? I want to help them… But I c-can’t…”

He was lost, confused, disorientated, all he could do was stare as the Assassin was pushed farther and farther back and his movements began to feel sluggish, It wouldn’t be long before the masked figure would be completely defeated.

“Excuse me miss Einzbern, Not to intrude on your little spat but just who do you think you are picking on a Servant far weaker than your own?”

A voice echoed throughout the park. The location of which Shirou couldn’t make out. But it was loud enough that even through the barrier he could hear it clearly.

‘That voice, it sounds so familiar. But who?’

The entire battlefield froze and Saber’s attacks stopped. Moments passed in silence before the white haired girl spoke up with her own magically enhanced voice.

“...ow you!...w...not pl...mes!”

Right on cue six more white masks appeared surrounding both the armored knight and her Master. Unlike the other white mask these ones had bodies which they covered with thick dark cloaks.

All of the participants except for the Assassin whose face was hidden behind a mask appeared shocked at these new arrivals but that lasted only momentarily as the knight simply began to stare them down while muttering a few words that Shirou could not hear.

The tense moment seemed to last forever but eventually the knight made the first move, before Shirou had even realized what had happened she quickly picked up her Master and leapt far away from the battlefield leaving the chaos on her own terms.

With the opposing side gone the purple haired girl turned towards the extending blackness of the park where they had fought and began to speak, her voice was still quiet enough that Shirou was having trouble making out her words.

“A...to wh...d... I o...t...p...ure...t...s he...?”

The other voice on the other hand echoed loud enough to be heard clearly.

“Just someone who thought you could use a little help, also I couldn’t leave a cute lass like you unintended now could I?”

The girl was visibly shaken by the words but she quickly regained her composure this time muttering a few more words before running off her as her Servant quickly followed.

“Berserker… I think I recognize that voice. The one that came to that girl’s aid.”

Berserker merely continued to stare at the six masks as they silently stood there only to watch them quickly disappear as well.

“Berserker? Is something the matter? You seem concerned about something.”

Closing his eyes in thought he muttered to himself just loud enough for Shirou to make out the words.

“Those… were not Servants?”

Shirou was confused by this statement. “Not Servants? What do you mean? They looked just like that girl’s Servant except there were a few more of them and the wore different looking cloaks. How could they not be?”

Berserker was silent for a moment more before his familiar smile returned. “Call it, intuition if you must… But that is besides the point my dear Master, you mentioned something about knowing who that man was?”

With Berserker’s concern gone Shirou quickly remembered what he was talking about earlier. “Oh right! Berserker, I think that might be my f-.”

Suddenly Berserker silenced Shirou with a finger before whispering a few words just barely loud enough for him to hear. “Someone’s coming, be quiet…”

Right on cue Shirou heard someone walking up the steel steps towards the roof. As if they knew he was here all along. Should he go and hide, or was it best to wait out in the open?

Looking towards Berserker for advice he was shocked to find that he had disappeared. “Berserker?”

‘Quiet Master, use your senses, feel that I am always by your side but there are times when it is advantageous to remain hidden like this. Using our connection we can still talk and others like the approaching one will be none the wiser.’

Before Shirou could respond though the great steel door was finally pushed open making a loud creaking sound as much to Shirou’s surprise he saw the face of his good old friend, Shinji.

“Ah, Emiya… I thought I might find you here, I noticed you peeking at us from a distance and what do you know! Hey, you’ll never believe the day I’ve had! I’ve got something amazing to share with you, though it looks like you noticed already, but you’ll never believe it… Not in a million years!”

Seeing his best friend after the day’s hard work Shirou let the tension flow from his body. He felt no reason to hide anything from his partner so while giving a huge smile he too began to talk freely.

“Oh hey Shinji, I was starting to get worried when you never showed up, glad to see you again man. I’ve got something to share with you as well! And I can almost say with certainty that it’s far more amazing than whatever you might have been through.”

‘Master, are you sure that’s wise?’

‘Relax, Shinji’s my best friend… I’d trust him with my life!’

‘Very well then, I must say… I am rather hesitant about this but you are my Master. So I shall listen and follow your words.’

Shinji could tell a challenge when he got one. Giving off a quiet smirk of satisfaction he arrogantly spoke to Shirou. “Alright then, you know the drill. On three tell me what you did and I’ll say mine.”

‘Oh this will be perfect, Berserker would you mind playing along?’

‘If that is what you wish…’

A similar smirk appeared on Shirou’s face, as he began the countdown.

“You got it, 3…”

Shinji began to reach inwards through his white jacket to retrieve something, while Shirou held his hand tight.

“...2…”

A small spark gleamed in their eyes brimming with anticipation.

“...1…”

Simultaneously Shinji held out what he was hiding, while Shirou turned his hand around to reveal his open Command Seals. While they both spoke the same words neither was expecting.

“I’m a Master!”

“I’m a Master!”

Revealing the thin leather bound book with a similar looking red glow as Shirou’s own Command Seal they were both taken aback by the appearance of Berserker’s knightly appearance and the appearance of six white masks around Shinji.

“No way…”

“You too Nosuke? I can’t believe this!”

“I was afraid of this… How do you do… I am Berserker, Shirou’s Servant.”

The only ones who didn’t speak up were the Assassin’s, silently they stood there perfectly still. Berserker quickly spoke up to address their silence.

“And you are? Assassin I take it? Come now don’t be shy… I am most interested in knowing how a second Servant of the same class was brought into this war… Surely as a friend of my Master here they wouldn’t mind explaining?”

He turned his attention towards Shinji whose smile had only fainted slightly. Quickly he came up with what he sufficed was a worthy explanation.

“Ahem, they aren’t ones for talking as you can see. But Nosuke I c- ”

“Clearly…”

Thanks to Berserker’s interruption Shinji was beginning to get annoyed at this man’s provocative speech halting mid sentence he turned again towards the Berserker who dared to annoy him.

“And what do you mean by that?”

“I mean what I say… Your ‘Servant’ is clearly below it’s rank. In fact, I dare to say that it’s not even worthy of the title of Servant at all!”

“Berserker! What brought this on!?”

Now Shirou was the one to speak up, to him this rudeness came out of nowhere. And he wasn’t about to just sit around and allow his friend to be mocked even if by another friend.

“Thank you Nosuke, but yes Berserker what brought this on hmm? Are you trying to drag the fire away from one such as yourself? Shirou already seems familiar to what is going on judging from his earlier reaction and your appearance but have you told him everything? What about how Berserker’s are almost always the first to die in these battles, hmm? And just how do they do might I ask?”

“Hold your tongue boy, you are years out of your league to begin speaking to me like that.”

The tension between the two of them began to rise, and Shirou began to panic.

“Oh really? It looks like you haven’t then…”

Turning towards Shirou he put on a most familiar mocking tone. “Shirou, Berserker’s put a huge strain on their Masters. Additionally, Berserker has never won the Grail War. Do you know why? It’s because they have all killed their Master’s first.”

The veins in Berserker’s head visibly began to shake with anger as he withdrew his sword in anger. This was quickly followed by the six Assassin’s unsheathing various weapons of their own from sickles, to daggers, with one even taking a short sword from it’s sheath.

“Why don’t you continue then? Do you really have such a wish to be forcibly ejected from this war so soon? I would be happy to grant your wish here and now, by the gods be damned!”

Shirou needed to diffuse this tension and fast. He feared the worst if he didn’t, and he couldn’t allow his two friends to fight like this. To make matters worse he feared Berserker might do something inexcusable…

But which side should he take?

1. Support Shinji…
2. Support Berserker….
3. Try to support both…
4. Write in...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Berserker:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Saber:

Assassin:

Assassin?:

Credits go to Xyphos for providing me with blank Servant sheets and Irisviel for helping with art!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:05:20 PM by Milbunk »

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Current results:

Support Shinji: mAc Chaos, Rafflesiac, Nihilm, CyberNinja, Sirel, Christemo, TheMegas, , Kotonoha
Support Berserker: Magus, Bdoom
Try to support both: Renko
Assess the situation: Sinon, Nuclear Consensus

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Voting will be closing soon, does anyone want to vote?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
I somehow doubt it's going to make any difference....

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Well with that attitude obviously not!

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Well, the current status of the voting is that the favoured option is winning by 6 votes over everything else, and anything I say is irrelevant because no-one reads it anyway (and even if they do I can't discuss it with them). Plus, I don't have a strong opinion on this issue, honestly.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
But Berserker and Shirou can be best buddies, come on!

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Shinji defended Sakura, though, and saved her from death. Plus, Berserker wanted to not help Sakura.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
B-But Bahzaka x Nosuke otp!

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
“Both of you stop! And as for you Berserker, just what has gotten into you? We’ve only known each other for a short time but I’ve never seen you so pissed off at anything before. This is my best friend Shinji Matou, I’ve known him for nearly as long as I can remember. As I’ve said before I will trust him with my life even if the Servant he has summoned is known for Master killing and betrayal.”

Shirou’s loud voice echoed on the empty rooftop, his interruption had caused everyone to halt in their tracks including Berserker whose hand still held onto his large two handed sword.

Turning to face Shinji now, Shirou gave off the biggest grin he could. A smile that showed the two had shared quite a few adventures together, not all of it good. “And besides, we’ve got too much riding on our past to just start attacking each other like that. I’m sorry Berserker, but I’m not going to allow you to be openly hostile towards my best friend, if you don’t like it then you are free to leave.”

Berserker was shocked upon hearing words he had not expected from his Master, the shock was enough to calm his raging exterior as he allowed his body to fall back into a calmer stance.

“Master… It seems I misjudged your history with this man… I… I… think I am going to go on patrol for a while, it is one of the core elements of being a Servant… Please… Get some rest… You seem tired Master…”

Before anyone could reply he dematerialized and just a quickly vanished into the night air Shirou feeling his presence fade away as he quickly left the apartment rooftop.

“Well that just happened… Anyway, Nosuke!...”

“Damnit, damnit damnit! Damnit it all! Why must the gods forsake me yet again!? Set upon this earth for the chance to recover what is lost only to be thrown into such a worthless situation! Oh heaven’s cursed I can only begin to describe my anger at those on high!”

The instant he was out of view of the apartment he materialized yet again, Berserker had managed to hold his anger but that was only temporary. He was still very angry, angry at this new obstacle, angry at his gullible master, and perhaps most of all angry that his master had dared to refute him when he had done nothing but help all this time.

“I’d give my entire fortune in order to calm the raging beast of madness that has befallen my poor master’s soul… No, I’d give that and more if only it could fill the hole in my heart that has gathered all this time! Why, why must I be fated to such lunacy!? Why!!!?”

He couldn’t stand it, the words were being spit from his agape mouth but he didn’t care, with his gloved pauldron he threw his hand towards a nearby brick wall causing an explosion of dust as the brick and mortar wall easily gave way to Berserker’s strength.

“Ahhhhhh! Why!? Idiotic, foolish, peasant, who dares to stand in my way. I will show thou the strength forged by mine own hands! I, Berserker, am the wisest, the strongest, the most wise! With my silver hand I take victory quickly and decisively and those who dare to stand in my path! Those most foolish mortals, who dare to defy my greatness!? They will be slaughtered their bodies sent to the pigs as a sign to anyone else who might dare to defy me! The great and powerful, the wise, the handsome, the beautiful, the clever, the most holy, the savior, the humble, I, Gilles de Rais, greatest leader of the french army, will be the strongest! No one can match my artistic values! No one! Not those blasted church buffoons, not my blasted Master, not even God himself! I am the greatest legend this world has ever had the honor of setting foot on!”

His fury was getting worse, he was having trouble thinking, the rage was becoming too much, using his iron grip he tore his oily black hair from his head throwing enormous patches into the night sky but he didn’t care about his appearance, he had barely even registered the fact that he had just shouted his identity to anyone who might be listening, all he could do was hate, curse, spit at the gods, and hate even further when it wasn’t enough.

It was a never ending cycle of destruction. And he was already caught in the loop.

A normal businessman who had the misfortune of wandering towards Berserker when he heard the knight’s screams froze in terror at the sight of the rampaging beast, cursing himself for deciding to stay late in order to get more work down. He began to panic the instant Berserker turned to face him.

Berserker’s eyes were completely bloodshot, his teeth were so tightly clenched they began to crack from the pure force, and the chain that covered his palms ripped from the force of his tightened fists.

In an instant, before he had even realized what was going on, the businessman was thrown to the ground from the force of Berserker’s mad charge towards him. His palms were sweaty, his throat dry, his body was completely trembling.

“W-what do you w-want? I-is it m-money? t-t-take it, just d-don’t hurt me okay?”

Slowly removing the great broadsword attached his belt Berserker held it to the panicked man’s throat as a small trickle of red blood began to seep from his shaking neck.

“My greatness! You, a foolish peasant whose greatest honor is tending the field of mine own glorious castle, dares to look at the face of his lord!? Dares to defy one so great as I!? No amount of begging, whining, sacrificing, tempting, snarling, pleading, or living, is worth the payment of such an atrocity! The blood you spill here, is not even worth a morsel of the dirt that holds the foundation of my very own fortress!”

the two men lay motionless on the empty sidewalk, the businessman who had now closed his eyes in order to prepare for the worst, and Berserker who continued to spout nonsense held his weapon ready for the kill.

“Well done Berserker! Well done!” A hoarse crackling voice echoed throughout the seemingly empty street. It was a voice Berserker recognized very well. After all, how could he not recognize his own speech?

“Your steps towards the road of salvation is nearly complete! You are completely correct, God has abandoned us! Left us to rot in the confines of hell. But you have realized this… Haven’t you?”

Taking his eyes off the frightened business man, Berserker turned towards the approaching voice where he came face to face with a new figure. This new man also wore plate armor of the exact same style as Berserker’s own. However, the condition it was in was terrible, the silver sheen had long been replaced by a muddy purple rust, with huge red splotches of red dashed across resembling large blood splatters as they ran all throughout the tainted metal.

Perhaps the most intimidating factor was the man’s bulging eyes and hideous face complete with a crooked nose and cracked pale lips, a sign of great neglect and inability to care for his own body.

“Yes! Yes! Just one swift painless motion of your hand and the transformation is complete! Just think of what we can accomplish, together! After all, your wish is already accomplished is it not? You saw her fighting against that paled Assassin did you not? The Holy Virgin? Jea-”

“Shut up! Shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up! Don’t you dare speak her name! Blasphemy, nothing but blasphemy, you think I will allow you to come forth and bring madness? That is a path of pure destruction, and I refuse! Absolutely, may God strike me down, I will not fall for your petty tactics!”

“I-I’m sorry?”

Sending the businessman rolling across the street with a swift motion from his hand Berserker stood up once more and charged the pale knight who quickly retrieved his own identical broadsword in order to counter Berserker’s mad charge.

The loud screeching clash of metal rung throughout the street as the two swords locked themselves against one another.

“Are you so blind as to not see it!? Her mannerisms may be similar but that was clearly not the Holy Maiden hold above all else!”

Throwing strategy to the wind Berserker struck with pure unaltered force. With each powerful swing the very winds howled and nearby glass windows shattered from the sheer pressure of his maddened attacks.

“It seems you are as mad as your name implies! Ha! Don’t try to spout such hypocrisy at me! Open your eyes to what is true, not what you wish to believe! To believe in such convenient lies is the failure of any man great or not!”

Despite his weak appearance the opposing knight was able to match Berserker in every single way, with great strength he deflect the powerful sword strikes aimed for his head, with swift agility he moved away from incoming kicks, his crazed mocking smile and bulging eyes only serving to enrage Berserker even further.

“Lies!? Hypocrisy!? Do not make me laugh! You have already fallen so far that you really have begun to believe in such things… I pity you, whose demeanor is foolish enough be kicked from even the worst of kingdoms. And you hope to convince me!? Don’t make me laugh, I would sooner spit on the grave of great Charles than fall into your little web of lies!”

“Hahahahahahahaha! Look at this fool, oh great and mighty God! He actually believes himself to be nothing but a servant towards your will, and yet what will you do? I say it for you! Curse him to an early grave, that is what awaits the followers of this so called almighty God.”

Berserker had had enough, using all of his energy he charged the pale knight and in one mighty attack shattered the rusted broadsword the hideous man had held cleanly in two. Stunned by the sudden destruction of his weapon the pale knight failed to react as his chest was pierced by the blade of Berserker’s own sword.

“I will never become such a pitiful monster, never…”

Spitting towards the ground Berserker remained defiant towards his nemesis. His will was still strong and he would not give in that easily.

As blood poured from his mouth and his body began to fade away the pale knight laughed and laughed. “Hahahaha! You cannot turn from the inevitable, I will always be with you… Through life, through death, through suffering, through victory, my truth’s whisper to you, calling, and cleansing the cloud that has fallen over your mind. After all, I am you, and you are me, and that will never change, so long as we live… Hahahahahaha!”

And with that final comment the knight disappeared and Berserker’s insanity truly began to fade.

His rage subsided he began to have trouble remembering all that had just happened as he glanced around the destroyed street. Bricks and concrete was thrown all about from a great battle and the businessman had long run away.

Did that really just happen?

Slowly sheathing his sword yet again Berserker calmy dematerialized and vanished into the night air.

“So what do you make of this Archer?”

“Clearly a case of a dog gone mad. If he can barely stand on his own before attacking the very air itself, it will not be entertaining to take him out with my strength.”

“So you don’t want to pursue?”

“Nonsense, it would be more fun to have him run wild some more. Let the others waste their efforts first, I do not wish to waste even a single blade on the likes of him.”

“Well so long as he doesn’t actually kill anyone…”

Sitting on his leather sofa Shinji Matou was taking a sip from his soda and watching the local news when he spit out his drink in surprise at the sudden appearance of a fully armored man appearing directly in front of him.

“Hey man! What’s your problem?”

‘In other news, the grand reopening of the Hyatt is continuing on schedule and accounting for good weather will open in five day’s time.’

“Why do you appear so startled Master of Assassin? Surely you sensed my arrival, after all, I made no intentions to hide myself.”

‘The grand hotel’s turbulent past is well known around the Fuyuki area...’

“Yeah well not everyone likes to be on alert 24/7 dude. Seriously though, where have you been? Shirou’s been going off nonstop about you ever since you disappeared.”

‘...mostly due to it’s sudden collapse nearly fifteen years ago due to a terrorist attack.’

Ignoring the question of Berserker’s whereabouts, the armored knight went to the top of his Master.

“Speaking of Master, where is he now? I would like to speak with him but he appears to be in his room right now.”

“He’s obviously following your advice, he seemed really tired so he went to bed soon after your left.”

‘At first hopes were dim that a reconstruction of the hotel was ever going to happen.’

“I see… And you? You barely seem tired at all. Surely recently summoning your own Servant has left you tired. Unless… That is not truly your Servant.”

Rolling his eyes in annoyance Shinji dramatically flung his arms open as if to mock Berserker’s harsh comment.

“Here we go again... Just what is it that’s making you so pissed off dude? We’ve barely spoken with each other and yet you keep hounding me like some rabid dog. Are you really that insecure Servant Berserker?”

‘However, thanks to a gracious donation from an anonymous donor who went by the name of Arc-’

Berserker’s hand slammed into the remote that lay next to Shinji shutting the TV off in the process, he couldn’t take the noise any longer.

“Will you please shut that infernal contraption off? I’m trying to think here. How is it humans of this day and age get anything done when a box is constantly filling their heads with useless thoughts!”

“Hey man it’s just a TV, no need to get so riled up over something so simple. And besides, I was trying to plan out next weekend.”

Ignoring the comment of preparation Berserker returned to the topic in front of them.

“Yes yes, anyways as my Master has said before perhaps I was too hasty in my actions. If I offended you then I must apologize but before that I must ask… Do you intend to harm him in any way?”

A tinge of disgust flashed across Shinji’s face at the comment, he clearly did not want to talk about Shirou’s summoning but his annoyance got the better of him as he began to rant.

“Of course not! Shirou’s my friend, why would I go after the guy who actually managed to get a Servant before I could… It’s not like he’s been better than me at doing his job, I mean… Look ok I’m not going to harm the guy, he’s me friend and we stick to together.”

“Very well then, if you are so wide awake perhaps you can help me with a little project of my own.”

Retrieving the small leather bound book, Shinji almost remarked at how similar it looked to his own, but quieted down when Berserker began to quickly flip through the pages muttering various comments as he skimmed.

“Bounded fields, bounded fields, oh here we are.”

Walking towards the center of the living room, Berserker held his hand to the floor and muttered a few vague words as he concentrated on the outstretched hand that held his book.

“De furto deprehendatu. De furto deprehendatur. De furto deprehendatur…”

“Bounded field? What are you trying to do?”

Berserker froze in his actions as a tinge of annoyance sketched across his face.

“A bounded field of detection, created in order to keep anyone who stays here safe. If you can talk then perhaps you can help. Come on, hand me that book of yours.”

“H-hey what are you talking about?”

Snapping his fingers in impatience Berserker reached for the small leather book Shinji had retrieved moments ago.

“Seriously dude what the fuck.”

“Oh relax, if I was going to take it from you, I would have already done so long ago.”

Flipping through the pages he stopped at a referenced point very similar to the one in his own book, before handing it back to the boy.

“You know how to cast from this do you not?”

“O-of course I do!”

“Very well, then follow my lead, this will not take long if we cooperate.”

Berserker then set to work preparing various sigils across the walls of the house and on the outside of the apartments with Shinji helping him along as he went, still questioning why this Berserker was suddenly being so friendly towards him.

His was so tired, his body was having trouble moving. He wanted more sleep but his head would not allow it. And with a start he awoke.

“Ah Master, I’m so glad to see you’ve awoken! Come come, we have much to discuss today!”

“Berserker? Berserker! You’re back!” The fatigue had momentarily disappeared as Shirou jumped to his feet.

“Of course I am! I must say Master, I am so sorry for disappearing like that. My mind was not as it should have been. Perhaps it was due to the curse of my class but regardless I am indeed back. And with great news no less!”

“News? What kind of news?”

Berserker explained the intricacies of the bounded the field he and Shinji had created during the night. It was a very simple bounded field in design but the effect was of great use. A field meant to detect any and all sorts of danger. The instant one made their killing intent clear a large bell would strike signalling the approach of a foe. By doing this they would have time to prepare and react to any and all attacks. And because it was such a simple concept, only the greatest of killers could hide from it.

“Well almost everyone, except perhaps Assassin.”

“Assassin? You mean like the one we saw fighting earlier, or the one that Shinji summoned?”

“Exactly! But have no fear, I will not allow any of them to lay a finger on you so long as I live on this blessed earth. Such is so natural that it is the very core of my existence, just as the sun rises in the sky I will be there to protect you. You have my word!”

“Oh alright then… Wait sun rises… Oh no, work! I’m going to be late!” Glancing at the clock he still had just enough time to make it if he ran. He couldn’t just afford to miss a day of work especially when he was still fairly new to the nursing job.

But his body still felt tired, it screamed at him to rest. And if anything counted as an emergency, Shirou figured that the past few days might allow for him to take it off.

Should he go to work? Or stay at home and rest?

Go to work
Stay and rest
Ask for Berserker's advice
Check on Shinji first
Write in...

Also from this point forward Bad Ends are now allowed!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:04:44 PM by Milbunk »