Author Topic: A Lesson in Magical Theory-Second Chances (A Retelling of the Fifth Holy Grail)  (Read 26813 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
That seems rather spiteful.

Erm, does the smiley not clue you in to the fact that I'm obviously not serious...?

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Oh, didn't notice it, I'm posting while doing other stuff, lol.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
But, no, I wouldn't attempt to kill off Shirou. Not unless the alternative is killing or seriously harming Sakura, anyway. Obviously I will oppose any attempts to cause harm to Sakura, though, and will encourage an alliance that ensures she is safe.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
I'll just go with the flow, myself.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile

So you'd support killing Sakura if it comes up? Seriously?

You Will Never Know

• Spiritron
    • View Profile

Umm, yes?

If I am playing a CYOA and the choice comes down to "Kill the girl and live" or "Let the protagonist die" then obviously she dies. You don't play a CYOA to kill off your protagonist. You take the hard rolls as they come.

Besides, she's not even the same woman, so my attachment is far less.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile

Umm, yes?

If I am playing a CYOA and the choice comes down to "Kill the girl and live" or "Let the protagonist die" then obviously she dies. You don't play a CYOA to kill off your protagonist. You take the hard rolls as they come.

Besides, she's not even the same woman, so my attachment is far less.

I wasn't asking you. You're not Bdoom.

And, I would hope it wouldn't get into a situation where literally the only two options were "kill Sakura" and "die". Not least because that's not much of a CYOA. I'd expect there to be different methods of dealing with her, at least some of which are non-fatal, and if not I would try my hardest to implement a non-fatal one....

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Lol, whiteknighting even Not!Sakura.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
I wouldn't vote to kill sakura, I'd choose the third option. But I wouldn't get horribly upset if other people decided to kill her. It would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile

Umm, yes?

I would like to point out that there might be exceptions (We're in the Nasuverse, there are exceptions to every rule).

However, as much as it pains me to say this, I would have to say agree. However, we will not have protags/protag candidates going out like punks. There will be last stands, tearful goodbyes, sheer epicness. At least, as much as can be had without breaking that ever-important Suspension of Disbelief.

By the way, this is my opinion regarding the death of any of these three, or any other major charaters, within this CYOA. If this was my general policy, there would be no way for me to enjoy Attack on Titan.

*Sarcasm mode* Bro, I have no clue what you're talking about. Just because we lack worms doesn't mean we can't have shrinking violet Sakura...

Seriously, though, there is more to her than the worm-rape. Enough for white-knighting? Debatable, but she has appeal all on her own. Don't make me give my take on the exact appeal. I don't want to risk starting a flame war before I've even hit 10 posts here.

To quote another member of the board, I don't want no trabble.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:35:52 AM by I_care_not_till_I_must »
[8:49:50 AM] Daniel Mahan: He can still get RAEG
[8:49:52 AM] Daniel Mahan: Just better at not loosing his marbles over it.
[8:50:09 AM] Helligator:> losing his marbles over it
                                      I seeeee what you did there

[11:00:22 PM] francobull III: elf, will you do rin?
[11:00:33 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I would love to do Rin!
[11:00:39 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I'd bend her over and . . .
[11:00:45 PM] francobull III: woah woah

francobulli'd - Today at 4:53 PM
i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh

Sakura Today at 7:09 PM
don't see anything that triggers my gm senses

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile

Umm, yes?

I would like to point out that there might be exceptions (We're in the Nasuverse, there are exceptions to every rule).

However, as much as it pains me to say this, I would have to say agree. However, we will not have protags/protag candidates going out like punks. There will be last stands, tearful goodbyes, sheer epicness. At least, as much as can be had without breaking that ever-important Suspension of Disbelief.

By the way, this is my opinion regarding the death of any of these three, or any other major charaters, within this CYOA. If this was my general policy, there would be no way for me to enjoy Attack on Titan.

I have no intention whatsoever of supporting any action that leads to Sakura's death. That doesn't mean I'm going to kill off the protagonist, but I can't imagine that any such choice is ever going to arise. It would not be a CYOA if it did.

*Sarcasm mode* Bro, I have no clue what you're talking about. Just because we lack worms doesn't mean we can't have shrinking violet Sakura...

Seriously, though, there is more to her than the worm-rape. Enough for white-knighting? Debatable, but she has appeal all on her own. Don't make me give my take on the exact appeal. I don't want to risk starting a flame war before I've even hit 10 posts here.

To quote another member of the board, I don't want no trabble.

I like Sakura. She doesn't have to be worm-raped Sakura for me to like her.

Panda

• Panda
  • Alter Ego
  • Deal with it. B-)
    • View Profile
I have no intention whatsoever of supporting any action that leads to Sakura's death. That doesn't mean I'm going to kill off the protagonist, but I can't imagine that any such choice is ever going to arise. It would not be a CYOA if it did.

*Shrug*

I like Sakura. She doesn't have to be worm-raped Sakura for me to like her.

...You do realize that that was the exact point I was trying to make, right?
[8:49:50 AM] Daniel Mahan: He can still get RAEG
[8:49:52 AM] Daniel Mahan: Just better at not loosing his marbles over it.
[8:50:09 AM] Helligator:> losing his marbles over it
                                      I seeeee what you did there

[11:00:22 PM] francobull III: elf, will you do rin?
[11:00:33 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I would love to do Rin!
[11:00:39 PM] Jennifer Bratcher: I'd bend her over and . . .
[11:00:45 PM] francobull III: woah woah

francobulli'd - Today at 4:53 PM
i litterally
said
FORCE
not penetration
sheesh

Sakura Today at 7:09 PM
don't see anything that triggers my gm senses

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Actually Mike, COYA often have sacrificial points, be it an item, a power or a character or whatever because a COYA is divided by however many storylines there are and however many choices the user is given. The current trend which is not native to COYA stories is the idea of writing in outcomes or actions. I grew up on the genre of books, as with role-playing there's actually a story to follow. This is why I don't do write ins as a rule. You get however many choices given by the storyteller, that's it. As for Sakura dying, I'm a lover of fiction and sometimes I will support the unfortunate lost of companions if the ends are good enough (HF barely qualified in this regard due to the obvious problem I have with it)

side note, I can't weigh in on the story directly because I'm still catching up on it.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Lasted CYOA I read was full of hilarious dead ends and none good ends. Except maybe Sabbat end for Toreador PC.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Actually Mike, COYA often have sacrificial points, be it an item, a power or a character or whatever because a COYA is divided by however many storylines there are and however many choices the user is given. The current trend which is not native to COYA stories is the idea of writing in outcomes or actions. I grew up on the genre of books, as with role-playing there's actually a story to follow. This is why I don't do write ins as a rule. You get however many choices given by the storyteller, that's it.

COYA might well have "sacrificial points", but I very much doubt that there will be one that is "kill Sakura" or "die". If Sakura is going to get killed by GM fiat, it will just happen and we won't have any say in it.

As for Sakura dying, I'm a lover of fiction and sometimes I will support the unfortunate lost of companions if the ends are good enough (HF barely qualified in this regard due to the obvious problem I have with it)

Well, to me, no end is good enough to justify Sakura's death. I don't really expect most of the fandom to agree with that, though....

Also, I'd like to point out to people on BL that, whilst Sakura and Shirou are both part-canon, part-OC here, Sakura is still fundamentally the same person, albeit with a different upbringing. Shirou, on the other hand, was changed totally by the fire, which did not occur here, and so will be extremely different, to the point that he might as well just be called an OC.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:20:48 PM by Cherry Lover »