Author Topic: Fate/Glass Moon. (sign up and discussion)  (Read 12115 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Fate/Glass Moon. (sign up and discussion)
« on: November 08, 2014, 03:02:44 AM »
Fate/Glass Moon.

The premise: The PC's are together in a virtual environment (similar to the moon cell). They live in a large city, competing in the grail war and passing the days in any way they see fit. In short, players can be any character they wish (with approval of course). They interact, fight and so on as they see fit, with the addition of plot hook events dropped by me as the GM.

Game flow: The main premise allows for characters to do anything. However, this has two restrictions. Just like the grail wars, fighting is confined to the night time, to this end there is a time cycle game mechanic. Secondly, while every NPC and enemy servant can be killed for experience points, anyone attacking disqualified servants, NPCs or other non combat parties will suffer  an attack by the system. It's not a penalty strictly speaking but it is not advisable.

Time cycle: Every three real-world days, the cycle moves forward. Day to night, night to day and so on, repeating. Barring special circumstances, this cycle is impossible to change.

Day: This is the social time of the game, a break from combat in the streets outside (although characters can stay indoors to avoid all danger from programs during the night and effectively use this as a social time as well).

Night: Programs are unleashed to allow characters to train and the grail war is active, allowing servants to fight.

Penalties: Aside from the in-game penalties that occur in Extra for breaking the rules, there are a few penalties that are for players should they become disruptive.

1) Suspension of experience, items and or powers.

2) Restriction of character actions, or removal of the right to play a character.

3) Expulsion from the game.

These are the penalties I have in place. In short, three strikes and you're out.

All combat and actions are resolved with the roll of a twenty sided die.

1: Fumble

2-9: Failure or miss

10-14: Sub-par success, glancing blow (the opposing side takes no damage but contact is made)

15-19: Hit, success

20: Perfect success/strike

A fumble is followed by another roll, if it comes up 1 again then it is a critical failure and a rebound occurs, damaging the character in some fashion.

A perfect success is followed by another roll. If 15 or more is rolled, then it is a critical success. If 20 is rolled then another roll occurs, 15 or higher is considered to be an exceptional success, exceeding the user's ability. In combat, the opposing side is defeated instantly.

Character creation (maximum three active characters per player)

Player:

Name: (real name and aliases)

Class: (if servant. Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Berserker, Assassin)

Race: (human, dragon, vampire etcetera)

Height:

Attack:

Defense:

Agility:

Magic:

Luck:

Skills: (maximum five)

Noble phantasm: (maximum ten)

Characters start with E rank or zero in their stats. The stronger the phantasm or skill, the higher the level you will have to be to unlock it.

Player rules:

1) role play as the dice fall, if you take a critical don't shrug it off it your description of it should reflect the damage taken.

2) Be respectful of others, GM and players alike, we are all here to have fun.

3) Don't harass players or otherwise bring outside baggage to the game.

4) Don't complain about the dice, sometimes you'll get your butt kicked, it's part of the game.

5) PCs don't die when killed, they're just revived with a small exp loss. No matter what your character can do, it cannot over ride this system directive.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Glass Moon. (sign up and discussion)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 03:28:00 AM »
OK, well, I'm in. I'll probably play Sakura and Rider as a master/servant pair, but I'm not sure exactly what version yet.

Also, how do the servants work here? Are they summoned when you enter the Moon Cell, or beforehand?

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
>10 NPs

What.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
Kat, are you going to play in this RP? If not, then piss off. This isn't Lantz-baiting thread #3452234.

Anyway, I have some questions. Firstly, how does the Grail War work, exactly? You said that PC characters can't die, and simply respawn with EXP loss when defeated, but if that is the case, then how does anyone actually win the Grail War? Secondly, how does skill and NP unlocking work? For example, Rider has her Mystic Eyes as a skill, and Breaker Gorgon (her blindfold) as an NP. So, does that mean that, if I unlock Cybele without unlocking Breaker Gorgon, Rider unavoidably turns everyone she sees to stone?

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
>Implying you can play with 1 player.
>Announcing it when CE 3.0 is nearing dangerously

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »
Kat, please; if you're not interested in playing, don't start another argument. Just leave, it's better for everyone that way.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
@CL

it depends, ultimately that's up to the player whether or not they want to summon a servant in the moon cell or have one been with them when they entered the system.

skills are unlocked at different levels, given that breaker gorgon is a limited use NP which is also clothing it's likely you would obtain it long before her eyes were made active.

masters and servants are disqualified upon defeat, they are out of the contest for the grail. Simple as that.

katsura has violated the game's rules, he's lost the right to play.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
it depends, ultimately that's up to the player whether or not they want to summon a servant in the moon cell or have one been with them when they entered the system.

Ah, OK.

Presumably in either case they start with no skills, though....

skills are unlocked at different levels, given that breaker gorgon is a limited use NP which is also clothing it's likely you would obtain it long before her eyes were made active.

Well, the thing is, though, Breaker Gorgon is of almost no use without her eyes. So, if I get any kind of a say in it, I won't unlock it early.

Which is what I was asking. How does the unlocking process work? Do we allocate points to unlocking NPs, or do they unlock at a certain level depending on the strength of the NP (in which case, how is that level determined?)

masters and servants are disqualified upon defeat, they are out of the contest for the grail. Simple as that.

Ah, right, OK.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
It works by the strength of the skill or NP determining a level for it to be unlocked at. That level is decided by me upon application.

you start with no skills or NP available

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »
It works by the strength of the skill or NP determining a level for it to be unlocked at. That level is decided by me upon application.

Hmm, but what if a servant only has high-level NPs? Will they be unable to fight until they can unlock them?

That seems like a pretty big swing, honestly. You are massively underpowered until you reach the necessary level to unlock Bellerophon or Cybele, and then suddenly you become really strong.

you start with no skills or NP available

Hmm, OK, then how do they fight?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:33:49 PM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:34 AM »
A character has their primary weapon, it simply cannot use it's associated abilities until the given level has been achieved. Saber for example could not use the heat blast until the level required is reached.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
A character has their primary weapon, it simply cannot use it's associated abilities until the given level has been achieved. Saber for example could not use the heat blast until the level required is reached.

Well, what I'm worried about is that you could easily have a servant who has lots of NPs at a low level, and gets all of them at the same time (early on), making a very powerful servant. Whereas another player might only have one high-level NP, and only gets it much later.

I.e., basically, I think that the quantity of NPs as well as the quality should matter. A player shouldn't be able to make 10 rank C NPs and unlock them all at level 10, whereas another player with only one rank C NP also unlocks it at level 10. It makes more sense to have some sort of point allocation thing or something here, I think.

Also, how do skills like Magic Resistance and Independent Action work? I mean, they count as skills in FSN, but it seems odd to me that a servant with rank D Magic Resistance will become resistant to magic earlier than one with rank A Magic Resistance, so you could have a time when Saber would be fully susceptible to magic but Rider was not.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:17:57 AM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 03:48:06 AM »
Rank determines effect, damage and so on, skills depend on the skill itself, a skill like magic resistance adds a bonus to the magic stat when determining damage from magic attacks.

trust me it all balances out.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 05:13:38 AM »
Rank determines effect, damage and so on, skills depend on the skill itself, a skill like magic resistance adds a bonus to the magic stat when determining damage from magic attacks.

trust me it all balances out.

Well, what I mean is that something like Magic Resistance shouldn't just suddenly get unlocked. It should gradually increase from the beginning.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 06:16:05 AM »
It's a bonus

magic determines both damage and resistance stat wise. The skill would be a bonus, if you had say an 10 in magic the skill giving 5 this means you have a total of 15 when calculating magic resistance.