Author Topic: Fail zero, or, why this dub makes the show for me.  (Read 4285 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Fail zero, or, why this dub makes the show for me.
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
I'm a firm believer in the idea that an audio visual medium needs both understanding of audio and visual aspects to be best enjoyed. As such watching subs is not now, nor has it ever been something I can get behind (excepting the dubs which wholly mangle the original version like Sailor moon and so on) without a doubt I would have lit zero on fire for it's dub if it was bad but it's actually pretty great.

The cast

Kiritsugu: resident evil has a history of pretty wooden or derpy acting so he's one of the four I was fairly concerned about. Fact is for someone who, to my knowledge, has never done anime before he plays Kiritsugu well.

Saber: Kari sounded horrible in clips but I have to admit she pulls it together well enough, I think I wouldn't have a problem with her being cast again for the new adaptations.

Iris: well this was an absolutely perfect choice VA wise, Bridget has been voice acting for a long time and the delicate, soft crazy chick is a role she has a lot of experience with. This gave me shivers like back when I first watched Lain. Fucking awesome, nuff said.

Rider: Without Price I don't think I would like Rider honestly, the bombastic cheerful attitude Jameson puts into every word really sells the king of conquers. Trivia note, this va played Kirei in the deen adaptation dub.

Lancer: played by the og Gilgamesh I thought I'd grow to hate him but he was alright. Not a stand out but serviceable.

Berserker: I hated the concept of Lancelot being a berserker from the out set, however the va for what time he gets is good enough.

Assassin: much like soylant cola it varies from person to person, decent overall though.

Gilgamesh: our replacement VA does a good job here.

Caster and his master: unlike the others I can't speak of them separately since they are almost exclusively speaking to each other. JYB as a serial killer works awfully well, blue beard is played by Igor from the persona games, they work rather great together.

Waver: This guy is a total unknown to my ears, pretty likeable though.

Tokomi: the character is exactly what he's supposed to be, a boring idiot.

Aoi: I pity Michelle Ruff, she played Arc in the Tsukihime anime and here she's playing this wispy waste of skin.

Karaiya: Liam has experience with this role, he played Archer in the fsn dub so another good performance.

Kirei: well this is Crispin Freeman, you're guaranteed a good performance with him but he really did a fucking excellent job here.

The animation: great with three exceptions. Firstly the effect on Lancelot, gross, just terrible imo. Secondly the creatures of caster, not their design but the effect used. Finally the fish face look some characters get (excepting caster who it fits to a T) it's deen levels of bad.

The plot: the only stand out things in the plot are the interlude with Kiritsugu and Gilgamesh palpatine-Ing Kirei. The rest of it is pretty by the numbers enjoyable action. Although two things bother me, one the Rin stuff, it drags down the show a bit and creates a potential plot hole. And secondly the continuity error at the end where Saber isn't at the tree dying.

So yeah, that's how I see it. How do you see Zero?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:58:38 PM by lantzblades »

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Fail zero, or, why this dub makes the show for me.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
I found Berserker's effect rather neat, hell, I didn't mind the CGI caster octopus.
Kariya's carnivorous fly bugs on the other hand....

What plot hole did the Rin's adventure thing bring out, if I may ask?

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
^^Watch Blue-Ray RAWs for YAMATO superiority.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
CGI rarely is any good when mixed with traditional animation. Lancelot looks really out of place here.

Rin's adventure makes some stuff in fsn contradictory or plain confusing. Mostly Rin in HF, actually Rin's inaction period.

oh, oh god. I almost forgot, Sola and Kenny are the seen Rider and Shinji. Puts a whole new spin on the finger breaking scene for me.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
He is SUPPOSED to look out of place. The CGI is used in appropiate manner to make his presence disturbing.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
Opinions! Wonderful things.

I personally don't think they could've found a better way to bring across how Lancelot's Noble Phantasm distorted his appearance like black mist - at least not a practical way that would not have required a ton more work - but that's only my opinion.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:17:32 PM »
Rin's adventure makes some stuff in fsn contradictory or plain confusing. Mostly Rin in HF, actually Rin's inaction period.

Rin at six is not Rin at sixteen. It's pretty obvious to me that Rin is inactive because she feels like she is "supposed" to be rather than because she actually wants to be, and children tend to be more impulsive.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
Opinions! Wonderful things.

I personally don't think they could've found a better way to bring across how Lancelot's Noble Phantasm distorted his appearance like black mist - at least not a practical way that would not have required a ton more work - but that's only my opinion.
Yeah, same.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 10:58:48 PM »
Ugly is ugly, the cgi doesn't fit as far as I'm concerned.

@CL

no, sorry after seeing that and having the situation she does it makes her actions in fsn faulty.

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
But that's like, just your opinion.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

Kotomine_Rin

• The God Tongue
  • Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
The only CGI that doesn't fit in F/Z is the flying bugs.
Not because it's CGI, but because the bugs look ugly as fuck, and not ugly as in oppressively ugly, just so silly and unaesthetically pleasing it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:07:31 PM »
no, sorry after seeing that and having the situation she does it makes her actions in fsn faulty.

How?

Like I said, she is only six at the time. Rin as a six-year-old acts more naturally, without so much of her father's bullshit "true magus" crap.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 07:13:10 AM »
Hahahah, it's not like Berserker Lancelot was supposed to be a sparkling bishounen.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 07:13:32 AM »
Yes Bdoom, that's why I said that in the beginning post and asked others what there opinion was.

I think you may have a crossed wire mike.

Franco dude, I get the emulation of beyond horror for Caster's monster but seriously berserker is a traditional animation character who looks like he's bleeding the PhotoShop tween tool. It's just icky in my opinion.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
Well, he is supposed to go into uncanny valley.