Author Topic: Mabinogi  (Read 4583 times)

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Mabinogi
« on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »
So yeah, since a few of us have gotten into this game, I'd figure I'd make a thread.  ;D I had fond memories of it from my early college days, and playing it again I'm enjoying it. :) So yeah, discuss, brag about your homesteads, ask for tips and advice, etc.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: Mabinogi
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
Honestly, at the moment I'm not too fond of it. It just seems entirely designed around finding ways to ensure you spend money.

Firstly, the beginner instructions are awful. Worse, they come as books which take up inventory space, which means you need to get rid of them ASAP. Secondly, travelling around is a pain in the ass unless you have a pet, which you have to pay for, or a whistle, which is free but takes up more inventory space.

Thirdly, it seems like you need to have basically every basic life skill possible in order to actually achieve anything and, worse, you need equipment to go along with it. I can't find any way to upgrade my homestead further without four or five different skills (carpentry, blacksmithing, weaving I think), because none of the stuff seems to be for sale. Further, there is no way I can see to sell the stuff you don't need, which means a lot of the time it's wasted (particularly given that it all takes up inventory space).

Worst of all, though, the inventory is tiny relative to what you need. There is a bank you can store stuff in, but it's limited to a particular city, which means you need to remember where you put everything and go back there when you need it. I already lost my main weapon by putting it down to do a task and forgetting about it. The only ways to increase the inventory space are to pay for the VIP service, or to pay for a pet. Both of which require "NX credits".

It is possible to get NX credits without spending money, but it seems to involve either spending half the day taking surveys (to the point that anyone with a job would be better off just paying for the things), infesting your computer with horrible crapware or ensuring you will forever be snowed-under by spam, junk mail and unwanted phone calles. I got around this to some extent by a) being unemployed and having nothing better to do, b) telling the companies in question I live at my old college and giving a fake name and phone number and c) being tech-savvy enough to uninstall the crapware and, later, set up a virtual machine to install it all in (yes, I actually did that) but, even so, it took me ages. Half the offers don't even seem to work, although the fact that I was lying through my hind teeth might have affected that....

I dunno if I've just missed a bunch of stuff, but it does seem like it's very hard to get anywhere in the game without spending money. Possibly I just need better instructions, though. But, again, see point 1)....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
Only because you're new at it and don't know what you're doing just yet- the other thing is that you're focusing on the homestead for now primarily, which does take a lot of skills.

There's a reason I implied that I should be with you to help you at first. The money's only relevant if you really want the bestest homestead evah or if you want a mount. The latter of which is pretty handy, but not nessisary, especially if you have friends with mounts. Pets are potentially a good idea for the inv space.

You're wrong about the banks though. I told you before, you can get your stuff from any bank, but it can take a fee and a set period of time for it to transfer.

As for the needing the basic life skills? Not really. I think your problems are twofold:
1. You aren't focusing on quests, but your homestead. This means you're neglecting things that require combat in favor of more domestic things. Really, the homestead is meant for more of a late game thing. Again, this is really why you need my help, sometimes it doesn't just do it to jump in and try to tackle it yourself.

2. Your talent is alchemy. Alchemy is one of the harder combat styles to learn and use. This quest set will help quite a bit, trust me.  Otherwise, if it turns out to be more unpleasant, experiment with other combat styles, and upon your next rebirth, change your talent to that style of combat.

As for your alchemy cannon... yeah, again, you should have done that while I was there, I could have told you that dropping stuff on the ground on the Homestead or the Beauty Shop then leaving is a bad idea.

So really, other than taking my advice in investing your next set of NX in one or more pets (since you're gonna end up having far more of it than I ever did in the end ^^"), your main problem is that you've been trying to tackle stuff that's more advanced by yourself instead of starting out slow, and thus you need a guide. So my advice? Let me help you before you jump to conclusions about the game.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »
Only because you're new at it and don't know what you're doing just yet- the other thing is that you're focusing on the homestead for now primarily, which does take a lot of skills.

Well, yes, I agree with that, but that's kind-of the point I was making. The game just doesn't explain what the hell I'm supposed to be doing at all. If I didn't have you around I wouldn't stand a chance.

There's a reason I implied that I should be with you to help you at first. The money's only relevant if you really want the bestest homestead evah or if you want a mount. The latter of which is pretty handy, but not nessisary, especially if you have friends with mounts. Pets are potentially a good idea for the inv space.

The thing is, pets also cost money. And, as I pointed out, otherwise you have far too little inventory space.

You're wrong about the banks though. I told you before, you can get your stuff from any bank, but it can take a fee and a set period of time for it to transfer.

Well, yes, but that requires you to have money (which I don't have), and it also takes time (dunno how much), which means you can't access it when you actually need it.

As for the needing the basic life skills? Not really. I think your problems are twofold:
1. You aren't focusing on quests, but your homestead. This means you're neglecting things that require combat in favor of more domestic things. Really, the homestead is meant for more of a late game thing. Again, this is really why you need my help, sometimes it doesn't just do it to jump in and try to tackle it yourself.

Well, yeah, the problem is that you're not around most of the time. Plus, when you are around I end up doing the more advanced stuff because you aren't going to want to follow me doing the beginners stuff....

Also, I have done a bunch of quests, and even several of the beginner quests (notably I have done the Elf quest about spying on the Giants). The thing is that I keep going around looking for more stuff to do and running into all these different things.

The thing is that the game doesn't make any of this at all clear. I got to level 10 without even trying, and then just started doing stuff with my homestead. Further, it doesn't explain how I'm supposed to get any of these skills and do things.

2. Your talent is alchemy. Alchemy is one of the harder combat styles to learn and use. This quest set will help quite a bit, trust me.  Otherwise, if it turns out to be more unpleasant, experiment with other combat styles, and upon your next rebirth, change your talent to that style of combat.

Yeah, it does seem that way. I think I've found one alchemy quest already, I just screwed up with my weapon.

Again, the problem is that the game doesn't tell you any of this. It just let me pick that particular style (also, it wasn't battle alchemy, but transmutation) without any warning about how damn hard it is to practice it....

As for your alchemy cannon... yeah, again, you should have done that while I was there, I could have told you that dropping stuff on the ground on the Homestead or the Beauty Shop then leaving is a bad idea.

Honestly, I don't need you to tell me that, the problem is that I lacked the inventory space to put it in there to practice my alchemy, and then forgot all about it. It's a combination of my crap memory and the game design forcing me to do that.

So really, other than taking my advice in investing your next set of NX in one or more pets (since you're gonna end up having far more of it than I ever did in the end ^^")

Well, yeah, sure. The problem is that getting hold of NX is only going to get harder.

your main problem is that you've been trying to tackle stuff that's more advanced by yourself instead of starting out slow, and thus you need a guide. So my advice? Let me help you before you jump to conclusions about the game.

Well, the thing is that the game doesn't make it clear what "taking it slow" even is. There really is no guidence about what you should be doing, or at least nothing obvious.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »
Haven't done the MMORPG thing since the sadly flawed imagine, the inventory problem is MMORPG universal unless you pay money, I have yet to see a free MMORPG that works elsewise magnobi seems like the usual. I don't know if Terraria counts as an MMORPG, it's certainly a game that can be played like that(wish more people I knew had it on PS3)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

My main point is that it seems to me like there is no way to play the game long-term without paying. That isn't overly surprising, but it does make me wary of getting involved.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »
Not quite, the time investment is just steep compared to paying

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

Well, yes, I agree with that, but that's kind-of the point I was making. The game just doesn't explain what the hell I'm supposed to be doing at all. If I didn't have you around I wouldn't stand a chance.
Yeah, this game does have a bit of a learning curve at times. ^_^" However, the basic quests you get should be guiding you pretty well for the most part. Then again though, I registered long before talents were even a thing, so it's possible the quests are less straight forward since when I started all those years ago. I should be able to help put you back on the right track. :)

The thing is, pets also cost money. And, as I pointed out, otherwise you have far too little inventory space.
Sorry, I meant to imply that with the mount thing, since they're also pets. But yeah, having a pet is pretty handy. For now though, the key is to discard unnecessary things. I can help you with that.

Well, yes, but that requires you to have money (which I don't have), and it also takes time (dunno how much), which means you can't access it when you actually need it.
...This is true. This is why I tend to rely on my pet invs quite a bit to be honest. However, it is nice that you have a place to store things. My advice is to take the stuff you use often with you, and stuff that you might not need all the time goes in the bank. And get a pet.

Well, yeah, the problem is that you're not around most of the time. Plus, when you are around I end up doing the more advanced stuff because you aren't going to want to follow me doing the beginners stuff....

Also, I have done a bunch of quests, and even several of the beginner quests (notably I have done the Elf quest about spying on the Giants). The thing is that I keep going around looking for more stuff to do and running into all these different things.

The thing is that the game doesn't make any of this at all clear. I got to level 10 without even trying, and then just started doing stuff with my homestead. Further, it doesn't explain how I'm supposed to get any of these skills and do things.
Oh trust me, I won't mind doing some of the noob stuff again. ...I just started playing again recently and need some refreshers myself. It was apparently more straightforward with the quests in my day. ^_^" I can help you get on the right track. :) Plus I should be on much more often after this Tuesday. :)

Yeah, it does seem that way. I think I've found one alchemy quest already, I just screwed up with my weapon.

Again, the problem is that the game doesn't tell you any of this. It just let me pick that particular style (also, it wasn't battle alchemy, but transmutation) without any warning about how damn hard it is to practice it....
...yeah, they should have explained that alchemy was a bit more advanced. :( It does tell you some stuff though, you mostly have to follow quests. I think half the problem is that it's giving you some quest overload, something it didn't used to do back when I was first playing. Again, I can help you with that.

Well, yeah, sure. The problem is that getting hold of NX is only going to get harder.
Not necessarily. :) There's always gonna be crapware to download for NX after all~ :3 Really, if the free NX fountain has sputtered out for anyone it's me, since I'm stuck with taking surveys and the safer free offers and those are starting to sputter out for me.

My main point is that it seems to me like there is no way to play the game long-term without paying. That isn't overly surprising, but it does make me wary of getting involved.
It's actually not nearly as bad as a lot of other cash shop MMOs that are Pay to Win. You definitely get some inconvenience without having a mount, sure, but the game is still quite playable and you still stand a fair chance against the other players. The inventory stuff is pretty typical for most MMORPGs, but in this case you can at least get around it with pets. In most others you just have to pray that you can sell your stuff soon, or just deal with a full inventory.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 07:27:03 PM »
Yeah, this game does have a bit of a learning curve at times. ^_^" However, the basic quests you get should be guiding you pretty well for the most part. Then again though, I registered long before talents were even a thing, so it's possible the quests are less straight forward since when I started all those years ago. I should be able to help put you back on the right track. :)

Yeah, I suspect it has got a hell of a lot more complex now....

Sorry, I meant to imply that with the mount thing, since they're also pets. But yeah, having a pet is pretty handy. For now though, the key is to discard unnecessary things. I can help you with that. [/quote]

Well, the thing is that I was trying to get stuff to use to practice transmutation, and also a bunch of other stuff. I just ended up with an over-full inventory.

...This is true. This is why I tend to rely on my pet invs quite a bit to be honest. However, it is nice that you have a place to store things. My advice is to take the stuff you use often with you, and stuff that you might not need all the time goes in the bank. And get a pet.

Well, yeah, that figures, the problem is that there is so little space that just getting the stuff I pick up is hard enough.

Oh trust me, I won't mind doing some of the noob stuff again. ...I just started playing again recently and need some refreshers myself. It was apparently more straightforward with the quests in my day. ^_^" I can help you get on the right track. :) Plus I should be on much more often after this Tuesday. :)

Ah, OK, good. I guess KAIZA needs to do a lot of them himself, too....

...yeah, they should have explained that alchemy was a bit more advanced. :( It does tell you some stuff though, you mostly have to follow quests. I think half the problem is that it's giving you some quest overload, something it didn't used to do back when I was first playing. Again, I can help you with that.

Yeah, it does seem that way. There's so much to do it's easy to get side-tracked. Especially when I'm playing with more experienced people.

Not necessarily. :) There's always gonna be crapware to download for NX after all~ :3 Really, if the free NX fountain has sputtered out for anyone it's me, since I'm stuck with taking surveys and the safer free offers and those are starting to sputter out for me.

Well, there will always be some, but most of the good ones are gone already, and half of them don't work anyway.

It's actually not nearly as bad as a lot of other cash shop MMOs that are Pay to Win. You definitely get some inconvenience without having a mount, sure, but the game is still quite playable and you still stand a fair chance against the other players. The inventory stuff is pretty typical for most MMORPGs, but in this case you can at least get around it with pets. In most others you just have to pray that you can sell your stuff soon, or just deal with a full inventory.

Well, possibly it's not as bad as some, but it's still pretty bad. Also, the ability to get around the inventory thing is worse, because it encourages them to make the game so that you can't live with a small inventory so you have to spend money.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »
Well, most MMOS have tiny invs. It's good that there's even a way around it. If you're willing to forgo saving up for a mount, I'd get a Japanese Bobtail or an Orange Pixie. They're only 2,900 nx per kitty. Plus cats. Cats are good. But yeah, just be careful to conserve inventory space, and only keep the essentials with ya until you can get a pet- then dump what essentials you can into its/their inventories.

Now that you've said what you don't like about the game so far, what do you like about the game so far?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Well, most MMOS have tiny invs. It's good that there's even a way around it.

Like I said, I'm not so sure, because games with restricted inventories will be designed so that you don't need more than that, whereas Mabi is designed around the assumption that you have a pet or some other alternate storage, because they don't want to encourage people to play for free.

If you're willing to forgo saving up for a mount, I'd get a Japanese Bobtail or an Orange Pixie. They're only 2,900 nx per kitty.

Well, that's possible. I don't know if I actually need a mount, as such, because the whistles seem to provide a mount.

Plus cats. Cats are good.

Lol, why am I not surprised at you saying that :P

But yeah, just be careful to conserve inventory space, and only keep the essentials with ya until you can get a pet- then dump what essentials you can into its/their inventories.

Well, yeah, that figures. I'm just struggling to see how.

Now that you've said what you don't like about the game so far, what do you like about the game so far?

Hmm, honestly, I'm actually struggling to answer that one, which isn't really a great sign. So far it's mostly consisted of running around places and dying to the occasional bear....

I guess doing that dungeon with you and bumping into that random guy with the lute was fun, though. I suppose the problem is that I've done too little of that and too much running around. I must like something about it or I wouldn't be playing it, but I'm not sure I can identify what.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:43:35 PM by Cherry Lover »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »
Hmm, I've thought about what I do like about it a bit more. Oddly enough, despite what I've been saying, I do like the open-endedness of it. The fact that you can do basically anything does make for an interesting game, even if it would be better if they did give you more indication on what to do early on.

So, what do you guys like about it? Do you have anything to say about the game?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »
Hmm, another thing that confuses me about Mabi (and it's not explained on the Wiki either) is the skill training system (having spent much of today training my alchemy by synthesising eggs, wool, wood and paper together and seeing what I get). When you're training skills, it tells you that you have x points (towards the next level) out of a total of y, and the obvious assumption is that you need y to get there. Whereas in fact you only seem to need 100 points. This is not explained anywhere.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
Well, for the skills thing it's basically you only need so many points to get there, but if you get all the points, you get exp from it on top of learning the skill. You can get this to an extent from just getting extra points as well, but not as much. It's optional and just there if you want an extra exp pop from it. :) Basically, once the pink bar that appears once you start getting extra completely covers up that regular blue bar, you're good to go on that. Whether it's worth it or not varies on the skill's requirements.

As for what I like... I like the fact that it doesn't lock you into anything predetermined. You're free to experiment as you will and the like. Plus you're not stuck doing combat things either, and there's a lot more to offer in that department than other MMOs, even those that brag about having those features. Basically in a way it's Rune Factory the MMO, which is pretty cool, and I have yet to see another MMO that does the same thing. :) There's just so much stuff to do, and I like that. Plus there's plot too if you take the storyline quests, which is also something I like.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:06:47 PM »
Well, for the skills thing it's basically you only need so many points to get there, but if you get all the points, you get exp from it on top of learning the skill. You can get this to an extent from just getting extra points as well, but not as much. It's optional and just there if you want an extra exp pop from it. :) Basically, once the pink bar that appears once you start getting extra completely covers up that regular blue bar, you're good to go on that. Whether it's worth it or not varies on the skill's requirements.

Yeah, I've pretty much worked out how the system works now, it is just not well-explained initially (which is true for quite a lot of things, honestly, particularly when you consider that a lot of the explanation that does exist is on an unofficial Wiki which Nexon have no involvement with).

The impression I get based on having done this, though, is that it is generally not worth waiting to rank up a skill just to get the extra XP, because the amount of XP in question is tiny relative to the amount you can get from other sources. However, given that the limiting factor on ranking up a skill is almost always lack of AP and not a lack of points (at least at lower levels), you do have to prioritise, and there I do think it makes some sense to wait until you've perfect-trained a skill (especially a less-essential one) before upgrading it, or at least to prioritise upgrading skills that you have perfect-trained even if they're a bit less important. Which does encourage people to diversify somewhat rather than focus entirely on one thing.

As for what I like... I like the fact that it doesn't lock you into anything predetermined. You're free to experiment as you will and the like. Plus you're not stuck doing combat things either, and there's a lot more to offer in that department than other MMOs, even those that brag about having those features. Basically in a way it's Rune Factory the MMO, which is pretty cool, and I have yet to see another MMO that does the same thing. :) There's just so much stuff to do, and I like that. Plus there's plot too if you take the storyline quests, which is also something I like.

Yeah, I would agree with that, although a lot of the life skills stuff does seem to be there to encourage you to spend money to avoid grinding rather than to actually make the game more enjoyable. I mean, standing around stroking a hen for 10 minutes to get eggs is not particularly fun. Similarly, some of the exploration missions are pretty tedious, although other apsects of that (like the hot-air ballooning we did last night) was enjoyable.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:08:08 PM by Cherry Lover »