Unlimited Creativity Works > Doujin Projects

Katsura's Worldbuilding Corner.

(1/4) > >>

Kat:
Basically, I had this idea going on for more than a year, and decided to start working on it. Developing my own fantasy setting from scratch, and then possibly adapting some system to run it. So I will put my ideas here for feedback, hints and questions.

Rules:

1) Behave reasonably
2) If one doesn't behave reasonably, I might decide to advise the offending party to stay await from my corner.

---

The basic concept is that this fantasy verse is set on terrestrial planet bit larger than Earth, enough to maintain a moon with its own atmosphere and magnetic field. There is a source of magical in this world which correlates with the magnetic field of the planet, drawn from the planet itself. Nature spirits can access it directly, but intelligent species of the planet had to harness it indirectly, for example through technology. The second source of magic comes from spiritual beings (separate from nature spirits), some of them powerful enough to be called gods, gained through supplication and sacrifice devoted to given spiritual entity. Basically a deity may lend a bit of its power to followers in return for sacrifice, usually blood sacrifice.

It's getting late, so that's all for today, folks.

Puck-Chan:
So is this going to be more of a medieval time period kind of setting?

Kat:
Neither medieval nor modern. It's pre-Industrial Revolution, yes, but its real life inspiration is 17th and early 18th century. Muskets, cannons, with a dash of Da Vinci esque inventions and magitek. Golems and other alchemical constructs.

Umbra of Chaos:
So the spiritual beings can only become powerful through belief and devotion?

Kat:

--- Quote ---So the spiritual beings can only become powerful through belief and devotion?

--- End quote ---

Majority of deities are either powerful nature spirits which ascended into another plane of existence through worship or ancestor spirits who became deities in similar way. An exceptional individual can become a deity through some unique method or ritual (in fact, the man who first practised blood magic became a deity on his own), but his/her/its power will wane without a source of belief or sacrifices, so deities are keen on maintaining fame or they will be degrade back into anonymous spirits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version