Author Topic: 2014 FIFA World Cup  (Read 7292 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
2014 FIFA World Cup
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
So, what do you guys think of the World Cup so far?

England seem to be in a bit of trouble, you would rather not lose your first match, but I think we played reasonably well and were somewhat unlucky. Based on Uruguay's last match I think we'll beat them, and I think we probably should be able to beat Costa Rica as well, so I think we'll go through.

Spain, on the other hand, are in real trouble, IMO. They've pretty much got to win their remaining two games now (and Chile are a pretty good team), if they lose they're out, and if they draw they're in big trouble (because their goal difference is so bad). And, if they do make it through, they're almost certain to play Brazil in the second round....

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »
6th fastest goal in World Cup history just pulled off by an American. 32 seconds into the game he pretty much walked that thing into Ghana's net

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 12:15:21 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty impressive. I think you'll win this game now. But, you've still got to play Germany and Portugal yet....

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »
HAHAHA SWEET SWEET REVENGE.

2-1 US victory. First first match win for the US since the 1930's. Fucking hell this Group of Death just gave the US a gasp at struggling into the cup proper.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 01:09:18 AM »
Well, obviously winning is better than losing, but I'm pretty sure Ghana are the weakest of the other three teams in the group. I don't see you beating Germany (although it's not impossible), so it'll probably come down to the game between you and Portugal (although a draw will probably be enough, since Portugal got hammered by the Germans).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:10:12 AM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
I decided to follow USA in this World Cup. I won't be surprised if Portugal gets owned by Eagleland.

And I will laugh if USA lasts longer in the Cup than England.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
I decided to follow USA in this World Cup. I won't be surprised if Portugal gets owned by Eagleland.

It's not impossible. The US realistically only needs a draw anyway (if they draw, then they only need to avoid a 5-goal swing in the final game, and the Germans will already be guaranteed to finish top, assuming they beat Ghana, so they won't give a shit), and I can easily see them managing that.

And I will laugh if USA lasts longer in the Cup than England.

Well, regardless, England certainly lasted longer than Poland....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 06:24:56 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »

^Dude, why it even matters? It has literally nothing to do with what I posted, as I was making comparison between USA and England :|
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:26:10 PM by Kat »

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
Now, now, it's true. What really matters is...

That our team is sucking harder than last time, and all of your teams have better chances than ours. :V
And if they don't beat Honduras...oh, boy.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »

^Dude, why it even matters? It has literally nothing to do with what I posted, as I was making comparison between USA and England :|

Well, I wouldn't really assume the US is going to outlast us, but even if it does I suspect it has more to do with the draw than the relative quality of the two teams.

That our team is sucking harder than last time, and all of your teams have better chances than ours. :V

Yeah, you've got to beat Honduras or you are essentially out. The French looked pretty good, though, and you're likely to need to beat them as well....

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »

Well, I wouldn't really assume the US is going to outlast us, but even if it does I suspect it has more to do with the draw than the relative quality of the two teams.

Yeah, you've got to beat Honduras or you are essentially out. The French looked pretty good, though, and you're likely to need to beat them as well....
>The draw

Hahaha

England got a relatively easy group compared to the US. There is no debate about that.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »

usa has more difficult group, and nearly brroke a world record of scoring the fastest.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »

>The draw

Hahaha

England got a relatively easy group compared to the US. There is no debate about that.

Erm, what?

There's plenty of debate about that. I would say that Costa Rica are a better team than Ghana, and Portugal haven't been that great recently. Plus, Uruguay have a significant advantage with the World Cup being held in Brazil.

Admittedly, with the way the teams are playing (Uruguay are actually pretty poor, whereas Germany were quite impressive) you might have more of a case, but looking at the original draw I would have probably preferred the US's group to ours.

usa has more difficult group, and nearly brroke a world record of scoring the fastest.

Scoring a goal in 90 seconds does not make you an amazing team....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:04:32 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »

actually winning is what counts. usa won their first, it's a good start.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:08:03 PM by Kat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:24 PM »

actually winning is what counts. usa won their first, it's a good start.

Yeah, that's definitely true. But, regardless of the relative group strengths, Ghana are most certainly not as good a team as Italy. Further, we've played what seems to be the hardest team in our group, whilst the US played what is probably the easiest. So, I wouldn't be so sure that the US are going to be in a better position than us at the end of the group stage....