Author Topic: Debate Everything  (Read 19021 times)

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
Alice quoted the movie Lantz because it illustrated the point eloquently. And who are you to point fingers at people?, you have admitted to following entire fictional character's beliefs and in that very paragraph you just noted how your philosophy is heavily infuenced by fiction. Do you even know the definition of hypocrite? I suggest you look in a mirror if it eludes you.

Lantz you have been through depression yeah that's sad and all, you're not the only one who went through that. It isn't a get out of logic free card. Then again I assume you also ascribe to "ignorance is bliss". Idealism is a nice thing but that means nothing in a practical sense.

Also you ascribe to the idea that hope is a good thing. While it can make you reach forward and push boundaries (needs a lot ambition with that in order for it to work, to be honest) there is a darker side to it. Take for example the story of Pandora's Box. You ever wonder why hope was there inside a box with all of the evils ever? That's because in the original myth the Greeks actually viewed hope as the last and greatest evil. Hope can extend any suffering and in the right amounts bring in any naivety.

Also if you write in the Nasuverse Lantz you should be used to a certain amount of bleakness. The best situation for Shirou when it comes to his ideal for example is "Well it sucks to slaughter and kill people for the greater good and I'll go through a lot of torment doing it but damn it it is worth it and I'm not wrong"

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
Also you ascribe to the idea that hope is a good thing. While it can make you reach forward and push boundaries (needs a lot ambition with that in order for it to work, to be honest) there is a darker side to it. Take for example the story of Pandora's Box. You ever wonder why hope was there inside a box with all of the evils ever? That's because in the original myth the Greeks actually viewed hope as the last and greatest evil. Hope can extend any suffering and in the right amounts bring in any naivety.

Sorry, but I disagree totally with this last bit. Yeah, hope can cause you to suffer when you otherwise would not, but the lack of hope is worse. At least hope gives you the ability to believe things might get better, and the will to fight for that.

Brahmastra

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
What you do and do not agree with does not have anything to do with what the Greeks felt. And it's like you can just call it some crazy religious idea like Sharia or circumcision of women; The Greeks were pretty fucking smart.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
What you do and do not agree with does not have anything to do with what the Greeks felt. And it's like you can just call it some crazy religious idea like Sharia or circumcision of women; The Greeks were pretty fucking smart.

Well, I'm not particularly convinced of that interpretation of the myth anyway (I always got it as "hope was the one good thing in the box"), but even if it is true, just because the people who wrote and told the Greek Myths thought it was true, it doesn't mean it was. The Greeks were pretty educated and intellectual, yeah, but they weren't always right. And nor were they smarter or better-educated than modern people. We just view them as intellectuals because they were way ahead of other civilisations from the same period.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:40:16 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
Greeks made a lot of fancy stuff and were at least pretty reasonable, but calling them far ahead of their time is an insult to India, Arabia and China (at least until that one tosser burned all their history).

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
Greeks made a lot of fancy stuff and were at least pretty reasonable, but calling them far ahead of their time is an insult to India, Arabia and China (at least until that one tosser burned all their history).

Well, I'm not sure about China or India, but Arabia didn't come about until a long time after (you might, however, mean Persia...). Plus, neither China nor India had any significant contact with the Ancient Greeks, so comparing them is kind-of irrelevant. And, whilst I think Persia was reasonably advanced, I think that Greece was some way ahead in terms of philosophy, science and general intellectualism.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
You clearly don't understand the point Grey, I suggest you cease trying because you've managed to be nothing but offensive with your assumptions.

Gray

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »
Please explain the point to me and how offensive I am being?

Brahmastra

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »
Well, I'm not sure about China or India, but Arabia didn't come about until a long time after (you might, however, mean Persia...). Plus, neither China nor India had any significant contact with the Ancient Greeks, so comparing them is kind-of irrelevant. And, whilst I think Persia was reasonably advanced, I think that Greece was some way ahead in terms of philosophy, science and general intellectualism.

Greece was but an infant in it's cradle in terms of philosophy and religious philosophy in comparison to India. And you of all people should know that ancient India are some of the first (if not the first) to invent astronomy.

You clearly don't understand the point Grey, I suggest you cease trying because you've managed to be nothing but offensive with your assumptions.

Lantz Gray is asking you a question regarded your ridiculous hypocrisy, lies and repeated assumptions about stuff, at least dignify it with an answer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:56:55 PM by Brahmastra »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »
Greeks were not even in the picture when India enjoyed advanced and refined civilisation.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

Greece was but an infant in it's cradle in terms of philosophy and religious philosophy in comparison to India. And you of all people should know that ancient India are some of the first (if not the first) to invent astronomy.

Honestly, my knowledge of ancient Indian history is basically zero (and I think that's a pretty common situation in the West in general). I was mostly comparing the Ancient Greeks to the other civilisations around them and with which they had significant contact.

Lantz Gray is asking you a question regarded your ridiculous hypocrisy, lies and repeated assumptions about stuff, at least dignify it with an answer.

Right, yeah, because comments like this are totally going to get him to answer....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:59:14 PM by Cherry Lover »

Brahmastra

« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
Lantz dismisses Alice's movie quote like it's complete hogwash despite spouting on dozens of occasions that his mindset and morality are copypasted from stuff like Star Trek. That's example one of his hypocrisy on just this last page. Then he goes on to say "lolnousuck" when Kat brings up the episode of Star Trek that literally spells out "without negative traits that are harmful to others, humans aren't humans". That's example #2

Gray is asking for clarification. So am I.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:04:24 PM by Brahmastra »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:43 PM »
Lantz dismisses Alice's movie quote like it's complete hogwash despite spouting on dozens of occasions that his mindset and morality are copypasted from stuff like Star Trek. That
's example one of his hypocrisy on just this last page.

Well, I'm not honestly sure what he meant.

But, yeah, just because a quote came from a movie, it doesn't mean it's automatically invalid. Alice was just using a movie quote to state an opinion that she thought the quote illustrated well. It's no different from someone quoting 1984 or Animal Farm (which I'm pretty sure is not uncommon).

Then he goes on to say "lolnousuck" when Kat brings up the episode of Star Trek that literally spells out "without negative traits that are harmful to others, humans aren't humans". That's example #2

I'm not sure that is necessarily contradictory with idealism.

Gray is asking for clarification. So am I.

Sure, clarification would be good. Asking for it like that, however, is not.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2014, 08:15:29 PM »
Until I see some manners exercised I'm not answering thing one.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
Considering that you may well have intended to insult me again and discount the worth of my opinion, I would answer if I were you...

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.