Author Topic: Debate Everything  (Read 19336 times)

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
Anyone who says but after the statement I would like to believe is lying. One can believe in and work toward a goal without disassociating reality.

the effective reply here is movie quotes and lies. At least, I suppose, I understand the boundless rage I get attacked with. It certainly makes more sense now considering your answers here.

Can someone explain what lantz is talking about?

pls

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
By the way, I'm surely that I'm still more than qualified to talk about biology since as a linguist I need to keep up with latest advancements in neuroscience and behavioral studies, as linguistics is a crossdisciplinary field.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »
Not sure which part you are asking about Umbra.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
Where you're talking about movie quotes and lies. What do you mean by that?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
Alice was quoting Men in Black. As for the lies bit, a belief is something you have or don't. The statement I believe in X is made into a lie by adding but. Acknowledging reality such as it stands is one thing but to discard your belief immediately because the current world cannot accept or bend to hearing the idea is disingenuous at best.

I grew up watching stuff like star trek, hope is an intrinsic part of what I believe in and the sheer lack of hope shown here disgusts me. You're free to believe what you want but if these truths presented here are yours in earnest then I find that the critical behavior on either side is fundamentally flawed.

I've been through depression, I know what it's like to only see the bad but that is also why I don't tolerate that attitude. Not in life and not in my writing either fan fiction or original work.

with such an attitude prevalent I find that any critical assessment of the fan work I do to be pointless. The philosophy is fundamentally different and therefore nothing of worth can be gleaned from such criticism.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:46:42 PM by lantzblades »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
Ironically, one of Star Trek episodes clearly shown that without inner evil humans are not humans. When Kirk was robbed of his evil self in a freak accident he was pure good but inept and incapable to act under pressure.

You probably think Star Trek is all rainbows and sunshine which is a very superficial belief.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:51:30 PM by Cool Kat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
I grew up watching stuff like star trek, hope is an intrinsic part of what I believe in and the sheer lack of hope shown here disgusts me. You're free to believe what you want but if these truths presented here are yours in earnest then I find that the critical behavior on either side is fundamentally flawed.

But, Star Trek still has conflict. It still has fighting and wars, and bad things do happen. Yes, the Federation is generally a good place to be, but it is sure as hell not perfect.

Ironically, one of Star Trek episodes clearly shown that without inner evil humans are not humans. When Kirk was robbed of his evil self in a freak accident he was pure good but inept and incapable to act under pressure.

You probably think Star Trek is all rainbows and sunshine which is a very superficial belief.

Star Trek is generally a very Utopian vision of the world. It's a post-scarcity society with little crime and technology that means that people can live far better lives (in general) than we have now. It is probably close to the best that humans are ever likely to achieve (I don't think there's anything in there that is fundamentally impossible).

But, even so, it is not a perfect society, and it is sure as hell not an entirely peaceful one. The Enterprise has weapons for a reason.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:58:02 PM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2014, 05:57:49 PM »
You are assuming Kat, you are wrong.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
Star Trek is generally a very Utopian vision of the world. It's a post-scarcity society with little crime and technology that means that people can live far better lives (in general) than we have now.

That's debatable. Earth, probably, but frontier colonies have it hard, as well as there is still currency in use in some parts. What is thought provoking thought that before reaching that level of relative prosperity the verse went through series of cataclysmic conflicts which implies the road was not bloodless.

No, I'm using deduction, lantz.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:32:27 PM by Cool Kat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »

Star Trek is generally a very Utopian vision of the world. It's a post-scarcity society with little crime and technology that means that people can live far better lives (in general) than we have now.

That's debatable. Earth, probably, but frontier colonies have it hard, as well as there is still currency in use in some parts.

No, I'm using deduction, lantz.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but the original Star Trek in particular does have a very Utopian view of the Federation (later spin-offs are much less so). There is still currency in use, yes, because some things are inherently rare, but it's pretty clear that the average person in the Federation has little or no need for money.

Brahmastra

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
You are assuming Kat, you are wrong.

No, he's actually remembering the episode he's talking about, unlike you.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
You are wrong Kat. I do not think as you believe I do.

Brahmastra

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »
You think? This is news to me.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
Like I said, it's not perfect, but the original Star Trek in particular does have a very Utopian view of the Federation (later spin-offs are much less so). There is still currency in use, yes, because some things are inherently rare, but it's pretty clear that the average person in the Federation has little or no need for money.

A janitor still leads different life than an officer.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »

A janitor still leads different life than an officer.

I somewhat doubt they even have janitors. I also assume that there is no need for people to work, since just about everything is provided for them.