Author Topic: Debate Everything  (Read 8342 times)

Puck-Chan

  • NPC
  • ***
  • Posts: 399
  • Sup
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
The difference being that I explained what those beliefs were and didn't try to claim them as realistic. My example of movie quotes is one that in particular proves my point about them being unreliable at best and an utter pile of garbage at worst.

I actually went on to accurately explain the belief rather than just saying I believe this and never replying. Again movie quotes are often never backed up to begin with. There's the difference.

Only point it proves is that you still reek of hypocrisy~


On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Arch-Magos Winter

  • The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • ******
  • Posts: 2336
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »
The difference being that I explained what those beliefs were and didn't try to claim them as realistic. My example of movie quotes is one that in particular proves my point about them being unreliable at best and an utter pile of garbage at worst.

I actually went on to accurately explain the belief rather than just saying I believe this and never replying. Again movie quotes are often never backed up to begin with. There's the difference.
See, the difference is that they're not taking the example of philosophy from a movie quote, they're using it as a way to sum up their argument. Plus, movies can be as philosophical as comic books.

Even Star Trek points out that conflict is good - conflict is what drives people to do things. Man Vs Man, Man Vs Nature, Man vs Self. Pure good is just as bad as pure evil, because pure good is stagnation and lack of desire to advance. See, perfection is a horrible thing, as it prevents any attempt to beat perfection - your perfect isn't everyone elses perfect.

For that matter, you even acknowledging your belief's aren't even realistic proves that they're horrible, horrible beliefs to have. Sure you can think people are intrinsically good - but if that prevents you from acknowledging that people act selfishly and like assholes and that'll fuck shit up (Like you do), it's a horrible belief to have.

Cherry Lover

  • The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
  • **********
  • Posts: 6092
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
Even Star Trek points out that conflict is good - conflict is what drives people to do things. Man Vs Man, Man Vs Nature, Man vs Self. Pure good is just as bad as pure evil, because pure good is stagnation and lack of desire to advance. See, perfection is a horrible thing, as it prevents any attempt to beat perfection - your perfect isn't everyone elses perfect.

It's not that "pure good" is bad, it's that the unwillingness to fight for something is bad. I'm not sure that we can even define what "pure good" is well enough to say that it's bad.

Still, whilst I don't think perfection is bad, claiming "my system is perfect and no-one is allowed to challenge it" is definitely bad. Like you say, not everyone is going to agree what "perfect" is.

lantzblades

  • Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • *******
  • Posts: 3666
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »
No, I want the result, I concede that the methodology of his ideas leads to undue suffering however given the current world it is the most likely avenue to the overall utopia presented. If possible avoiding suffering is always the proper way to get to a goal.

as I said I avoid her posts period, the movie quote thing was just another reason to do so. Ever since Kill Bill volume 2 I've never seen a well constructed argument using a movie quote.

Cherry Lover

  • The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
  • **********
  • Posts: 6092
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:53 AM »
No, I want the result, I concede that the methodology of his ideas leads to undue suffering however given the current world it is the most likely avenue to the overall utopia presented. If possible avoiding suffering is always the proper way to get to a goal.

The problem is that his methodology does not actually work in reality. If you try it in the real world, what you ultimately get is the USSR, Cuba or, worse, North Korea. Plus, even if it did work, you're ignoring the effect on the people who oppose it, which would undoubtedly include people like me. The reasoning here seems to be much like what I can tell of the reasoning of the Harways in Extra. Sure, the world they ultimately create will generally not be too bad a place to live (provided you don't like freedom...), but they have absolutely no problem whatsoever with killing billions of people to achieve it.

lantzblades

  • Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • *******
  • Posts: 3666
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2014, 12:57:03 AM »
True Mike, it doesn't take into account our world's state. Mainly because that world has super science and magic evident. Fact is no one philosophy works due to religion and cultural politics. Hence why I support the ideal, not the method.

Kat

  • Moon Cancer
  • ********
  • Posts: 4067
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2014, 09:53:21 AM »
Quote
as I said I avoid her posts period, the movie quote thing was just another reason to do so. Ever since Kill Bill volume 2 I've never seen a well constructed argument using a movie quote.

Watch movies then, since Kill Bill is an old news. Even better if you watch some of those experimental European movies

lantzblades

  • Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • *******
  • Posts: 3666
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
Watching movies doesn't solve the issue. The issue is the lack after someone quotes a movie.

Kat

  • Moon Cancer
  • ********
  • Posts: 4067
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2014, 05:13:23 PM »
In English, please, because the second sentence is quite incomprehensible.

lantzblades

  • Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • *******
  • Posts: 3666
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
Not as long as you mock me.

Kat

  • Moon Cancer
  • ********
  • Posts: 4067
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
I'm a linguist, so I notice when sentences are not much readable.

Quote
The issue is the lack after someone quotes a movie.

The lack of what?

lantzblades

  • Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • *******
  • Posts: 3666
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2014, 05:34:49 PM »
Why you notice is unimportant. I have been clear about my grammar issues. Mocking someone for something beyond their control is cruel and despicable. This is the exact reason I do not listen to you Arch or Brah. You want answers then learn to ask respectfully.

Puck-Chan

  • NPC
  • ***
  • Posts: 399
  • Sup
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
Why you notice is unimportant. I have been clear about my grammar issues. Mocking someone for something beyond their control is cruel and despicable. This is the exact reason I do not listen to you Arch or Brah. You want answers then learn to ask respectfully.

lmao, he wasn't even making fun of you here. Even I couldn't even understand your sentence. And again, the lack of "what"? You never made that clear.


On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Kat

  • Moon Cancer
  • ********
  • Posts: 4067
    • View Profile
Re: Debate Everything
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
We literally don't understand that sentence.