Author Topic: character Q and A  (Read 60141 times)

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
Re: character Q and A
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
western magic is weak sauce
Q: Where did you get the idea that western magecraft is "weak sauce"?
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
Just a friendly reminder, since it seems my last call was not heeded at all...

Please obey the rules of the thread; if you don't like lantz's fics or how he handles the story, just leave and ignore it. If you have an honest question about the story or setting, you can ask politely; and no complaining over the answers, over and over.

I don't want any more problems stirring up here, I've got work to do. Any more of it, and warnings will be handed out.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
@Lyco

A: canon, younger magic is weaker than older magic, thus comparatively it is weak sauce.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »
Very well. While I dont agree with you I will respect the fact that you don't want trouble stirring while you're busy. My apologies KAIZA.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
Q: Lantz, do you realize you are mistaking Clock Tower for whole Magic Association? The original founders of MA were Sea of Estray and ATLAS, the latter being Egyptian organisation.

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:23 PM »
@Lyco
A: canon, younger magic is weaker than older magic, thus comparatively it is weak sauce.
Q: Why does this mean that Western magecraft is weaker than Eastern magecraft? I don't understand at all. MA sees Eastern magecraft as "backwater" and it has never been denied.
I really don't understand.
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

qwertyfatcat

• The want-no-trabbler
  • NPC
  • I don't want no trabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »
Since I was sleeping after Lantz gave me an answer, I'll finally respond to what he said to my questions...

You just danced around my questions. All you really said was that the Dragon needs someone to defend him. You won't even build up the dragon's character, or give a better explanation of your dragon's character.

Q. Why does it feel like it needs to be protected all of a sudden?

Q. If you're writing the dragon's dialogue, what's his personality like? You said that minor characters should have a better spotlight. Could you flesh out your dragon focus?

Q. If you wrote your world from before CM3, why didn't you write your world around it?

You could've kept updating your world as Nasu updated his, and establish your world around the loopholes Nasu had to create your world. Hell, Run could still be the head of MA if you create a future event that was plausible enough to allow her to be head of the MA (despite barthemeloi, mega 2k magus, all other competitors for the position).
I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble I don't want no trabble.

I told you I wanted no trabble.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
@Kat

A: not mistaking, simply unaware at the time of writing it. I'm aware it's bigger than that but the only frame of reference I was given was the clock tower, at the time.

@Lyco

A: compared to the AoG magic lyco

@qwerty

A: dragon killing weapons, also champions do more than protect.

A: he's a firm old man who's more than a little arrogant.

A: Nasu retroactively reshuffles canon, I've done my best to edit but I can't keep up with it. It's like DC reboots overall annoying.

Brahmastra

« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
Wrong Gray, I stated that the story was written BEFORE CM 3 explained the mage association. Therefore I am not disregarding canon for no reason, further the reason I even concerned myself with the mage association was the over use of western orthodox sorcery in Nasus characters.

It doesn't matter if your story predates established canon, it is still in defiance of it.

@Lyco

A: the terms are interchangeable in my head because I've been reading fantasy since I was six. What I mean here is, western magic is weak sauce, in canon older magic is stronger. So why then do so many characters use weak crud? Needing an answer I surmised that the mage association must have been established in Europe and while old was not as old as canon says (again remember canon said nothing at the time I wrote it) the reason why I haven't changed it is because canon just inflames the problem by having a director from the AoG.

The first signs of the MA come from Atlas, which was formerly an order of Egyptian Magi dating back to the earliest Pharaohs (2500BC or earlier).

@Kat

Just because it's from the AoG doesn't mean western AoG magic isn't western.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:05:15 PM by Brahmastra »

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
Wrong Gray, I stated that the story was written BEFORE CM 3 explained the mage association. Therefore I am not disregarding canon for no reason, further the reason I even concerned myself with the mage association was the over use of western orthodox sorcery in Nasus characters.

It doesn't matter if your story predates established canon, it is still in defiance of it.

@Lyco

A: the terms are interchangeable in my head because I've been reading fantasy since I was six. What I mean here is, western magic is weak sauce, in canon older magic is stronger. So why then do so many characters use weak crud? Needing an answer I surmised that the mage association must have been established in Europe and while old was not as old as canon says (again remember canon said nothing at the time I wrote it) the reason why I haven't changed it is because canon just inflames the problem by having a director from the AoG.

The first signs of the MA come from Atlas, which was formerly an order of Egyptian Magi dating back to the earliest Pharaohs (2500BC or earlier).

@Kat

Just because it's from the AoG doesn't mean western AoG magic isn't western.
Brah, what did I ask for? Please, leave the thread. Now.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »
Thought I'd bring up the details of the story thus far. Anyone notice how Aoko understands the first language as Japanese? Or Shiki being dead for that matter. Or what that chant means since it's not the unlimited blade works?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2014, 12:06:02 AM »
Well, Shiki being dead I remember now you pointed it out again, although I'm not sure how important that is here. It seems like he died in a fight with CM or something. As for Aoko, I'm not sure how the Universal Language is meant to work, or why she would understand it....

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
Wait, aoko can speak the universal language? Da fuk?

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »
@Cherry lover

it's not the death that's most important, it's the lack of reaction.

the first language ought to be as Satoshi claimed, painful and nonsensical to modern people.

@Bdoom

no. In the future please read the rules and follow them when using this thread.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
@Cherry lover

it's not the death that's most important, it's the lack of reaction.

Well, presumably they already know or something....

the first language ought to be as Satoshi claimed, painful and nonsensical to modern people.

Yeah, but I have absolutely no idea why that might not happen in this case....