Author Topic: character Q and A  (Read 60054 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: character Q and A
« Reply #480 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
No, no one group could do it, it's a scant possibility at best that he comes back.

Oh, I see.

That sounds like a kind-of depressing ending....

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 22, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
Depends on how you see it I suppose. Bittersweet yeah, definitely but depressing, hmmm, no, not really.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 22, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
Depends on how you see it I suppose. Bittersweet yeah, definitely but depressing, hmmm, no, not really.

Well, aside from the fact that he is dead (which sucks for him), all of his family are going to be sad that he died too. I don't see anything particularly "sweet" in that....

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 23, 2014, 04:11:50 AM »
Lantz, forgive me if this seems to be on the negative side, but I feel it needs to be asked.

Have you ever thought of expanding your paragraphs some? I mean, honestly, I was taught that a good paragraph focuses on one thought at a time (either that, or I'm misremembering, but I think that's how it goes). I've seen your writing on Beast's Lair as multiple thoughts a paragraph (sometimes even more than one per sentence)... that's something I wish to help you with (if you'd like help).

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 23, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »
@CL

yeah, but he saved everyone, win dude.

@Xam

to what exactly are you referring?

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 23, 2014, 05:00:52 AM »
Okay, since I don't rightly remember off the top of my head what it is that I'm referring to, I'm gonna have to dig it up from the rest of the internet. Hold onto this thought until I get back with it... alright?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
@CL

yeah, but he saved everyone, win dude.

Well, except for his parents, who will be sad, and anyone else who cares about him....

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 23, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »
Q: So what I got from the last few comments was that, being born from a wish so he could win that "final battle" you mentioned, he's supposed to vanish into entropy after he's done with it?
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 23, 2014, 05:47:58 PM »
So, basically, Toshi as a character has no real life? He literally just exists to solve a problem, and then vanishes without a trace when that problem is solved?

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 23, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
That's so edgy

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
YOLF

A: not exactly but mostly yes. I mean have you seen the other nasuverse protagonists? They are all horribly doomed in one way or another and you add that to the fact that Merlin is the guy who planned the kid's involvement in the problem at hand and there's really no other way this could go.

@CL

no, his body cannot overcome entropy and all that is left is the concept of him. Concepts are neat but you need a physical form to inhabit the world. Hence he's dead.

@Bdoom

seriously, leave me alone, I'm sick to death of your attitude. Go do something, anything else but leave me the fuck alone. I'm here in this thread for productive discussion, not to deal with snotty comments.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »
YOLF

A: not exactly but mostly yes. I mean have you seen the other nasuverse protagonists? They are all horribly doomed in one way or another and you add that to the fact that Merlin is the guy who planned the kid's involvement in the problem at hand and there's really no other way this could go.

Well, Merlin perhaps, but what about the rest? Aren't they just total dicks for doing this? And, what would Saber and Shirou feel about it? He's their son, and he was literally created for the sole purpose of dealing with some problem and then discarded.

@CL

no, his body cannot overcome entropy and all that is left is the concept of him. Concepts are neat but you need a physical form to inhabit the world. Hence he's dead.

Well, yeah, the point is that he literally exists solely to solve this problem. His entire existence has no point to it aside from as a device to save the world.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 23, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »

Shirou isn't really horribly doomed in any route of FSN, Shiki was always going to have a shortened life because of his eyes but that doesn't mean he's going to end up badly, and Ryougi is actually pretty well off.

I do think I get what you mean, but... the hero having to narratively face an unsatisfactory end or dying after they've saved the world or accomplished what they've set out to do in stories isn't necessarily the same as what you're trying to do with Satoshi. In some stories the hero has that sort of end because it is framed within its themes, and the bittersweetness of how things go is part of what it's trying to tell. Here, from what you've said, it's a fact within the story that is going to come about because of how the hero was created, rather than being spurred on by some narrative weight.

I have to admit I'm surprised you're actually setting it up so Satoshi has to inevitably disappear at the end of the story, given that the themes you seem to want to explore with it are all rather positive and framed in idealism and inherent human goodness.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:32:42 PM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

SINIB

• Administrator
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »
yeah, same. I am quite surprised. Such an edgy ending for an idealistic fic.

[5:20:13 PM] francobull III: "I fuck dead animals"

francobull3 - Today at 10:15 PM: when will skeleton bullying day end

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 23, 2014, 10:20:54 PM »
@CL

well Aoko, she's kinda the reason the multiverse is going to be destroyed, short version is super guilt for previous events. Zelretch treats everything like a TV show to avoid attachment and Gilgamesh and Kirei, well the former respects Satoshi's conviction and the latter is pissed off that he lost their battle of wills.

the rest don't know the truth except Fab who isn't present at the end.

his existence as a hero was yes, not his existence period.

@YOLF

it was his fate to die yes. More importantly it was his choice to accept that fate for the people he loves. Ultimately their hope for his return can only be fulfilled if the readers think he deserves their love and allow the wish to come to pass. I've been serious about this from the start. He comes back only if you guys thing he deserves to come back.

Love, hope, sacrifice, kindness charity and generosity are the themes of the work. Humanity is awesome sir.