Author Topic: WYSIWYG feature needs improvement  (Read 2779 times)

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
WYSIWYG feature needs improvement
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
The following is a story snippet for this site that has been done right (meaning, follows the BBCode format to the letter, no strings attached):

Road to Tomorrow
story written by Xamusel

Disclaimer: The following sources are property of Kinoko Nasu; Tsukihime, Fate/Zero (regardless of who wrote the books for that initially), and Fate/stay Night. The following source is property of Anima Games Studio and Fantasy Flight Games; Anima: Beyond Fantasy. The following source is property of Paizo Publishing; Pathfinder Role-Playing Game. The following source is property of Wizards of the Coast; Dungeons and Dragons. The following source is property of LucasFilms, LucasArts, LucasBooks and whoever manages to acquire a license with any of them (even Disney counts in that field); Star Wars. Any other source material will be given their own disclaimer in later chapters. The only things that I own about this fanfic are the plot and the original characters (no, wait, scratch that… two of them aren’t even mine, my friend Cody being one of them, the other being myself).

Prologue: Games of Tricksters

Callistria, Goddess of trickery, lust, and revenge, was not in a good mood.

No, this had nothing to do with the fact that she was a Chaotic Neutral deity, even if she wondered what exactly that meant. It more had to do with the fact that she was experimenting with her magic in the domain of trickery and something… strange, for lack of a better word, happened.

It had been 95 years since the death of Aroden, the Last Azlant and first Living God to have ascended from being a mortal, and many things had gone awry in the world of Golarion by means of his death.

The following is the currently in-production chapter of Fantasy Unleashed (a Naruto fanfic that normally won't go here) in the site's WYSIWYG format... care to spot what happened wrong?

Xamusel Thirteenth A/N: Alright, first chapter to not have the Pilot label attached to it, and the first chapter to be in a proper story arc that didn’t act as a prologue. In this chapter, we’ll explore the repercussions of what happened in the previous chapters with the other major Shinobi Powers, and then backtrack to Konoha for most of the end of the chapter… with a surprise waiting for the last couple scenes.
Now… onto the story!
XxX
Story Arc 1: What it means to live
Chapter 1
Worldly Repercussions
Outside the walls of Sunagakure no Sato, Kaze no Kuni
It was a calm night on the road to and from Sunagakure no Sato. There wasn’t a sighting of monsters in either direction for fifty miles down the road.  The night time combat patrol hadn’t had any encounters yet either.

...oh, crap, the WYSIWYG actually WORKS!! However, the BBCode it produces looks really crappy, as any moderator or admin who looks at it can attest to (I'm not modifying it to make it look good).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:28:52 PM by Xamusel »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: WYSIWYG feature needs improvement
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:33:45 PM »
Yeah, if you look at the BBcode made by the WYSIWYG editor on any forum it's going to look horrendous, because automatically converting formatting in that way is hard, and it is generally far better to add too much pointless crap than it is to remove stuff that is actually wanted.

That does look especially ridiculous even for a WYSIWYG editor, mind, but it's not something I can fix aside from perhaps if we can find an update for it. Editing the code myself is way too difficult.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:34:54 PM by Cherry Lover »

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
I get that much. I honestly do.

Yeah... guess this suggestion is a no-go. I'll shoot another suggestion in the next thread.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:46:26 PM »
It's not a "no-go", we can look into it, but there's no way I'm making manual edits to it because I would almost certainly break more than I would fix.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:31 PM »
Alright, works for me, in that case.

I'm not going to suggest you manually edit it. Just that you find something that might work better than what you currently have.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
OK, we tried to find another version, but it seemed to have more formatting issues, and now the one we did have is seemingly not working with copy-paste at all....

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:15 AM »
...shit. This is bad.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 12:06:46 AM »
Actually, looking at it, it is only not working if you paste from notepad, and I'm not sure if that ever worked....

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »
Doubtful anything with Notepad works... unless you're designing web pages from code.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:10:55 AM »
Well, notepad does allow for copying stuff to the clipboard with formatting. The mod just doesn't seem to handle it for some reason.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 12:14:48 AM »
Alright, that sucks, unfortunately.

Well... I guess this will be on the to-do list?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
Yeah, I can't imagine this being something I'm ever going to manually fix, if a bunch of accomplished programmers can't make it work properly I don't think I stand much of a chance....

I can take a look, but I doubt I'll be able to do much if anything.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:19:23 AM by Cherry Lover »

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:53 AM »
Roger.

Thanks for letting me know.