Author Topic: Dark Side of the Moon, a collaborative story project (original fiction version)  (Read 15465 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Some time ago we wanted to create a story idea to represent the fourm theme and interest I'd like to start such a project again. In keeping with project tidiness this post will be a table of contents for all confirmed information about the proposed story. To start with we need a genre, suggestions  are encouraged.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:03:46 PM by Alice »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: dark side of the moon, a fourm original story project
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
Well, I think we should go with what we did last time, a sci-fi story set on the moon. Not least because I don't want to waste the effort I put into the rotating city design....

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
I think an outright retread of the previous idea is a bad move, SciFi fits sure but I'd like to see what else we can figure before Committing to a do over

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »
I think an outright retread of the previous idea is a bad move, SciFi fits sure but I'd like to see what else we can figure before Committing to a do over

The thing is, I like the previous idea, and I can't think of anything that would be better.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »
there's a lot of scifi concepts available to show off, not just the hard real ones

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
there's a lot of scifi concepts available to show off, not just the hard real ones

Perhaps, but I far prefer hard sci-fi. I'm too much of a scientist to do anything else and not get irritated by the lack of rigour.

I mean, watching it is one thing, but I don't think I'm capable of writing soft sci-fi. I would end up adding in proper science and turning it into hard sci-fi.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »
Fiction is an ever balancing issue, if you think you can not write such then theres a problem, hard scifi is often dry

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »
Fiction is an ever balancing issue, if you think you can not write such then theres a problem, hard scifi is often dry

I think that I am someone who will always want to get the science right and who would far prefer doing the science in detail.

Certainly, I would far prefer a hard sci-fi story like the last one, that was fun to write. Soft sci-fi will be a lot less fun to write, because I have to keep ignoring stupid science that doesn't make sense, and I don't think I can do that.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
why not be inventive rather then exclusionary? instead of ignoring such explain it.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:35:50 PM »
why not be inventive rather then exclusionary? instead of ignoring such explain it.

Well, it depends on what you mean by "soft sci-fi". I don't mind being inventive as long as it's something I can see as being plausible.

However, I really did like the idea we had before, and that actually was allowing me to be inventive with the city design. So, I really don't want to just throw all that away.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:41:44 PM »
i don't know what you consider plausible so i can't answer that.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »
i don't know what you consider plausible so i can't answer that.

Well, something that I can't take a look at and say "nope, that's not possible". For example, FTL travel is possible, but just accelerating to lightspeed and beyond is not, and nor does light (or gravity) travel infinitely fast (for example, if you blow up a star 10 light years away, people won't see it blow up for 10 years, and you cannot ever dodge a laser other than by knowing where it will hit before it is fired).

Basically, exotic physics is fine, but physics that is just plain wrong isn't. There are plenty of films that claim to be sci-fi and just plain get the science wrong (The Core and The Day After Tomorrow just to name two), and stuff like that I wouldn't consciously allow.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:04:32 PM by Cherry Lover »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
define laser?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
define laser?

Anything that uses light (or anything else that consists of massless particles travelling at lightspeed) as its method of delivering energy....

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 09:27:14 PM »
i see, yeah serious problem then.