Author Topic: Dark Side of the Moon, a collaborative story project (original fiction version)  (Read 15511 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
possibly at least on some levels.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
Well, a magic vs. technology setting is not something unheard of. If we go futuristic-type sci-fi setting for the technological side, maybe it can go even with the magic side.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Well, a magic vs. technology setting is not something unheard of. If we go futuristic-type sci-fi setting for the technological side, maybe it can go even with the magic side.

Well, yeah, but you have to find a way to give the technology side an advantage over the magical side. Which is difficult because technology can be copied and magic can't.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
It doesn't have to be a technology versus magic setting. Indeed I think excluding a large conflict between them would be best

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
It doesn't have to be a technology versus magic setting. Indeed I think excluding a large conflict between them would be best

Well, yeah, I'd be inclined to agree. But, the point is that we do need technology to actually be relevant and useful, for it to be reasonably called "sci-fi".

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Final fantasy 8 bad as it was comes to mind blending tech and magic

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Final fantasy 8 bad as it was comes to mind blending tech and magic

I've never played it, so I can't really comment on that....

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Basically modern society integrated with awesome magic a space program and spider mech

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Basically modern society integrated with awesome magic a space program and spider mech

Ah, OK.

Well, we probably want higher-tech than that, really, if we're going to call it sci-fi. We do also need to consider how the magic will work, and try to design it in a way that means that normal science is still important. I do like the idea of integrating the two somewhat, though.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
They had a hover capable city a drill prison and numerous super death weapons most of which floated  oh a super advanced hidden city that designed spaceship boosters that were themselves spaceships, trust me it is plenty scifi

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
They had a hover capable city a drill prison and numerous super death weapons most of which floated  oh a super advanced hidden city that designed spaceship boosters that were themselves spaceships, trust me it is plenty scifi

I see....

I would like the story to be set in space at least somewhat, though.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
We don't have a setting proper yet so that is possible assuming every one else agrees

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
We don't have a setting proper yet so that is possible assuming every one else agrees

Well, yeah, it just seems like it would make sense if we're going for any sort of sci-fi aspect. Plus, it lets me show my physics knowledge better.

ranmabushiko

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
If I may interject... you may wish to add in some of this.  You may want to use Scifi, using elements of mysticism, martial arts, etc., to allow someone to understand technology, etc. better.

It might not be a PERFECT idea... but it's still an idea.  A lot of my teachers when I studied Ki in depth noted things like "pouring Ki into the training sword" let you understand how to wield it better, sometimes superbly if it had been used by other people before, as well as making it easier to be in tune with it to use it as an extension of your own body, rather than just crappy sword swinging.

Not so much a "Kamehameha" vs laser guns of doom, or even a rail gun, but a "+5 to cutting through a bullet using an old Katana" sort of deal.
It can also slow deterioration of damage to organs, such as eyesight, if channeled to an organ several times a month, which means it might be useful for a medical method in game.  Maybe not so much a "You won't lose your arm, because it REGENERATED INSTANTLY!" sort of a deal, but "More of the arm can be saved if it's horribly damaged, because you channeled Ki to it in time."

Psionics has several methods of making an artificial intelligence, as well, that could be used for a sort of "spying technique", but that's usually the maximum of what it's good for, except for defending against psychic attacks.  Which... really don't happen unless you're actively hunting for a fight and trying to tick someone off.  It's why I didn't read up on it much.  But in a game, that could be rather useful, as a sort of "spy drone" or "security camera that can't be found" sort of a deal, as a plotline.

Finally, people have been known to use Ki to not feel a thing while their balls have been hit with baseball bats, and 2x4s, and monks have been able to keep themselves alive without much food, air, or water, for months at a time with meditation.  You could use both for things like "pain countering" so you can focus through attacks better, and the meditation deal could've been how people were able to handle being on the moon in the first place.  If the first people they sent were monks trained in such things, it could explain the reason why colonization worked in the first place, with later colonization being possible by the first settlers, the monks.

Just thought it all might be worth a read, and tell me what you think of it.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
OK, so, how does all this "Ki" stuff supposedly work?

Obviously, I don't believe in it in real life, but this is a fictional story with fantasy elements, so there's no reason why we can't include it if it fits.