Author Topic: Dark Side of the Moon, a collaborative story project (original fiction version)  (Read 15494 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
If you want to emphasize the fantasy elements, maybe something like Magitek could work. Or for the sci-fi, use the fantasy elements to explain the breaks in physics.

Yeah, this is what I was expecting we would go for in this instance. Like I said, as long as it is consistent and makes logical sense, I don't object to it. What I dislike is stuff where the science is all over the place....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is what I was expecting we would go for in this instance. Like I said, as long as it is consistent and makes logical sense, I don't object to it. What I dislike is stuff where the science is all over the place....
Yeah, I can empathize with that. It's not really a case of the science being all over the place, but a minor sticking point for me in the Pokemon anime for example is the usage of the word "clone" with Mewtwo. He's not a clone. He's a hybrid. Otherwise he'd look just like Mew. Aaaah.

But enough about that, yeah, something like KAIZA suggested is definitely the general idea. It'd help explain if we had magic show up at any time for example, so long as the magic has consistent rules and logic to it as well.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Well, yeah, and I have a PhD in Astrophysics. So, sci-fi is an area where I really do tend to notice the flaws in physics....

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
Yeah, I can empathize with that. It's not really a case of the science being all over the place, but a minor sticking point for me in the Pokemon anime for example is the usage of the word "clone" with Mewtwo. He's not a clone. He's a hybrid. Otherwise he'd look just like Mew. Aaaah.
Maybe he was supposed to be a clone, but they decided to "improve" him to make him the strongest Pokemon. That, or a failed attempt that ended up being better.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Well, yeah, and I have a PhD in Astrophysics. So, sci-fi is an area where I really do tend to notice the flaws in physics....
Oh definitely. :) Especially since you have such a heavy background in it.

But this particular thing has bothered me since high school. :P And yet other people really don't catch that despite it being high school level Biology, I'm not sure why. At least Pokemon Adventures gets it right.

Maybe he was supposed to be a clone, but they decided to "improve" him to make him the strongest Pokemon. That, or a failed attempt that ended up being better.
Yeah, that's a pretty good take on it and perhaps even the general thought behind it. :D The problem is that they continue to call him a "clone" despite him clearly not being even close to an exact genetic copy- even if all those changes were done via millions of mutations rather than inserting human DNA like I suspect they did or are shown to have done in Adventures, he'd still wouldn't be referred to as a clone due to their being way too many differences between Mew and Mewtwo. In order to still be properly called a clone, the number of mutations would have to be very minimal, such as some color differences for example. ...I am very nitpicky on this subject you see. ^_^"

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
well FE was very open about the setting, star ocean till the end of time or the other hand was less so destroying my urge to play it when the vr element popped up.

Magical technology is one way to go and the number of times i've play final fantasy 6 would attest to me liking the concept. Although I do think elves work as an element (then again i'm rather biased regarding elves) knights, samurai, theves and dragons too if anyone is interested in including such.

so ok, do you guys want hard occult or high fantasy magic? the first is like hard to use harder to learn three hour plus spells and the second is the stuff you see in typical fantasy, healing mortal wounds, fire balls etcetera. and alternate history or new world from the ground up?

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
Yeah, that's a pretty good take on it and perhaps even the general thought behind it. :D The problem is that they continue to call him a "clone" despite him clearly not being even close to an exact genetic copy- even if all those changes were done via millions of mutations rather than inserting human DNA like I suspect they did or are shown to have done in Adventures, he'd still wouldn't be referred to as a clone due to their being way too many differences between Mew and Mewtwo. In order to still be properly called a clone, the number of mutations would have to be very minimal, such as some color differences for example. ...I am very nitpicky on this subject you see. ^_^"
Well...from what I heard, the first version of Mew was inserted into the game without even Nintendo knowing about it. Maybe his design was also made on the spot? Which is why its different from Mewtwo's? Then again, this is only on the development side...

As for setting, if not urban fantasy, then alternate history or AU could be interesting. :)
Magic system...I prefer the high-fantasy one.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Well...from what I heard, the first version of Mew was inserted into the game without even Nintendo knowing about it. Maybe his design was also made on the spot? Which is why its different from Mewtwo's? Then again, this is only on the development side...

As for setting, if not urban fantasy, then alternate history or AU could be interesting. :)
Magic system...I prefer the high-fantasy one.
Actually, Mewtwo isn't referred to as a clone in game, only in the anime. :) Granted, it's for the wrong reason (apparently the term was too "scary"), but it's not in the game at least. :) But yeah, I think they designed the two side by side and just snuck mew in there without Nintendo knowing it. In terms of the science stuff, it's mostly ignorance on their part though. ^_^"

As for the recent story stuff.. I need to think on it more. Although, I want a few more people to say something about the genre to confirm if this is the path we want before pinning anything down.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
Actually, Mewtwo isn't referred to as a clone in game, only in the anime. :) Granted, it's for the wrong reason (apparently the term was too "scary"), but it's not in the game at least. :) But yeah, I think they designed the two side by side and just snuck mew in there without Nintendo knowing it. In terms of the science stuff, it's mostly ignorance on their part though. ^_^"
Huh...I guess I confused the two. But, yeah, just genetic splicing, not clone. But hey, at least it's not Capcom Science!

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
well the difference between a bland new world and an alternate history is in one case rather then say steam power and electricity found as in science in alt history magic would replace those inventions where as an alternate world can be any mash up we like, and I like high fantasy magic myself.

the genre i assume would be, as far as everyone who has spoken up, some mix of fantasy, scifi and urban

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Oh definitely. :) Especially since you have such a heavy background in it.

Yeah, exactly.

But this particular thing has bothered me since high school. :P And yet other people really don't catch that despite it being high school level Biology, I'm not sure why. At least Pokemon Adventures gets it right.

Fair enough. And, honestly, I doubt most people care :P

so ok, do you guys want hard occult or high fantasy magic? the first is like hard to use harder to learn three hour plus spells and the second is the stuff you see in typical fantasy, healing mortal wounds, fire balls etcetera. and alternate history or new world from the ground up?

Well, the second sounds more generally useful, but it's also possibly less interesting. I also do want the magic to make sense and the science of the world to also make sense.

And, AU doesn't make sense if we're including magic, because this world doesn't have magic....

well the difference between a bland new world and an alternate history is in one case rather then say steam power and electricity found as in science in alt history magic would replace those inventions where as an alternate world can be any mash up we like, and I like high fantasy magic myself.

the genre i assume would be, as far as everyone who has spoken up, some mix of fantasy, scifi and urban

Well, if we're doing sci-fi then we can't have magitech be too prevalent, otherwise the "science" aspect of it falls out. Magic is almost by definition something that fits outside of science.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
well you could have a societies develop differently depending on magic or science. or something like that

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
well you could have a societies develop differently depending on magic or science. or something like that

What do you mean?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
i assume there's more than one country

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
i assume there's more than one country

Well, it depends on the setting, but I guess that would usually be expected to be the case.

In general, though, a country with magic would be a hell of a lot better off than one without it....