Author Topic: role playing ideas thread  (Read 32630 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: role playing ideas thread
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »
100% incorrect YOLF. I have been playing pen and paper rpgs since I was seven, I've been playing solidly for over fifteen years and am very much knowledgeable about D&D, whatever people have claimed or you have chosen to believe is wrong. D&D 1-4th edition, mutants and masterminds, Besm 2&3rd edition, vampire the masquerade as well as dozens of other p&p games are among those I'm familiar with not to mention creating several systems for specific media.

@Kaiza

yes but that's like claiming persona doesn't have a terrible world ending crisis because the first one didn't.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2014, 01:23:09 AM »
@Kaiza

yes but that's like claiming persona doesn't have a terrible world ending crisis because the first one didn't.
What does Persona have to do with anything? Again, in none of the mainline SMT games (and even in the spin-offs, I believe) is it implied contracting gives you demonic powers. At least tell me where you got this from.

Also, I'm pretty sure even Persona 1 had a world-ending crisis (either overwriting reality with nothingness, or time being frozen forever or something, depending on the route)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:24:55 AM by KAIZA »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2014, 01:30:17 AM »
Nope Persona one had alternate worlds, it wasn't world ending or anything. I own all the games, they all imply demonic power or similar as a result of contact with demons and Angels this is especially true in the case of the protagonists but not unique to him.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2014, 01:39:03 AM »
Nnnnnnope, Persona 1 had a girl's dream world that threatened to overwrite our reality thanks to a machine (and part of the girl's mind wanted the world to end, so...), or the Snow Queen, which, again, froze time or the world (can't remember) in the route's bad end.

And, again, I've played 1, III and IV in the mainline series. III is the exception, because the Demi-Fiend is, by definition, half-demon, so of course he gets demon powers (and even then he got those from a parasite implanted by Lucifer, not from contracting). Neither I and IV imply you get demon powers from contracting.

The best you can get is fusing with a demon, or becoming a demon yourself. Contracting doesn't give you anything other than control over the demon.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2014, 04:39:05 AM »
100% incorrect YOLF. I have been playing pen and paper rpgs since I was seven, I've been playing solidly for over fifteen years and am very much knowledgeable about D&D, whatever people have claimed or you have chosen to believe is wrong. D&D 1-4th edition, mutants and masterminds, Besm 2&3rd edition, vampire the masquerade as well as dozens of other p&p games are among those I'm familiar with not to mention creating several systems for specific media.

@Kaiza

I.. never claimed otherwise? Really lantz, you seem to be the one talking as though you're a messenger from God now, especially if you arbitrarily decide whatever you have chosen to believe is right and what others have is wrong. I was only pointing out that since you don't seem familiar with Demon The Descent (or even White Wolf/Onyx Path products from the New World Of Darkness line, given you keep referring back to Masquerade only), and since Magos is familiar with both it and SMT to an extent, he might be capable of offering a more complete opinion that is worth listening to.

Actually, color me curious now. What game systems have you created or worked on as a major developer, and where can I find information crediting you with that work?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:41:26 AM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »
@Kaiza

you're still judging this as if it's soul hackers to the rest of the raidou series. When I say typically I mean that in most cases the characters have a power beyond the contract. Further you're arguing semantics for no good reason because I brought up the point to support an idea for a fucking role playing game not to debate the fucking series.

@YOLF

actually yes, you did presume me ignorant, which is why I corrected you. You've also misunderstood the context of a number of other things but I'm busy so I can't get into how you've gotten it wrong.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
@Kaiza

you're still judging this as if it's soul hackers to the rest of the raidou series. When I say typically I mean that in most cases the characters have a power beyond the contract. Further you're arguing semantics for no good reason because I brought up the point to support an idea for a fucking role playing game not to debate the fucking series
I believe you mean the Devil Summoner series (Raidou came later)...anyhow, I'm not saying characters can't have powers beyond the contract; but those aren't usually of demonic origin nor gained (they usually involve reincarnation). That and contracting doesn't give you those powers. A demon/angel can give a human powers, though, without actually contracting; which is probably what you meant to say.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2014, 12:29:33 AM »
@Kaizaactually yes, you did presume me ignorant, which is why I corrected you. You've also misunderstood the context of a number of other things but I'm busy so I can't get into how you've gotten it wrong.

There really wasn't much of a point in you mentioning all those other TRPGs when we were talking about Demon The Descent, and you generalized White Wolf while still not giving a very specific indication of which of their works you were familiar with. So of course I'd assume you weren't actually familiar with it, especially since, as I pointed out, Demon was developed by Onyx Path, not White Wolf.

And lantz, I didn't presume you ignorant. I presumed you were unknowledgeable on a specific matter because the way I read your sentences, you seemed to dismiss the topic based on very superficial understanding and/or bias. This does not mean I was denying all your 15 years of experience and other knowledge of PnP RPGs.

Maybe it was faulty communication, but to my questioning of "you don't seem to know THIS game", you responded with "I know all these OTHER games and a lot more". Which doesn't really counter my argument in any way.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:30:53 AM by YOLF »
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

There is a difference between quality and quantity.

Hint: Yolf possesses the former.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:34:21 PM by StrayKat »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
It was severely faulty communication YOLF, I mentioned vampire the masquerade specifically because it's world of darkness, it also highlights every fucking problem with the world of darkness that I have. The phrase "which is more than you can say" is rude, ignorant and sounds very much like a denial of my time spent playing and GMing these games.

onyx path is a group of people from white wolf who specifically publish the world of darkness stuff because white wolf discontinued publishing it. It's effectively the same people involved in it from before, at least that's how I understand onyx path publishing thus far, the fluff hasn't changed from Old WoD or New Wod, so in the end my opinion regarding the subject remains firmly in the same place. I don't like WoD, I think it's dumb, the one game I liked was the spin off where you played hunters murdering werewolves vampires and the like.

@kat

eat me.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
the fluff hasn't changed from Old WoD or New Wod

That was so retarded statement it made me roll to see if I get Ebola.

NWoD has no relation with OWoD whatsoever. It is essentially a new world, with completely different cosmology which is incompatible with the previous setting.

Also Onyx Publishing has hired new writers and some old writers retired, so it only shows you are ignorant about tabletop gaming community.

One of my favorite writers, Rose Bailey, never worked on OWoD, for example. And she is a lead developer for Requiem 2ed and one of big shots there.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:33:23 PM by StrayKat »

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
It was severely faulty communication YOLF, I mentioned vampire the masquerade specifically because it's world of darkness, it also highlights every fucking problem with the world of darkness that I have. The phrase "which is more than you can say" is rude, ignorant and sounds very much like a denial of my time spent playing and GMing these games.

onyx path is a group of people from white wolf who specifically publish the world of darkness stuff because white wolf discontinued publishing it. It's effectively the same people involved in it from before, at least that's how I understand onyx path publishing thus far, the fluff hasn't changed from Old WoD or New Wod, so in the end my opinion regarding the subject remains firmly in the same place.

I'm sorry to correct you, but you've just proved you really don't know what you're talking about. The setting and lore are completely different from Classic to New World Of Darkness, the only thing the gamelines from one to the other have in common are names and partially the starting ideas, and Classic has an overarching metaplot that encompasses all of the splats, while New has no metaplot, with each book only offering suggestions on crossovers and so on (metaplot and how the lore of each game melds are entirely within the players and Storyteller's right to define).

So yes, seems I wasn't wrong with my assessment of Magos knowing New World Of Darkness being "more than you can say".
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:42:18 PM by YOLF »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2014, 09:46:53 PM »
I don't know whether he played Reckoning or Vigil, probably the former since you can play it chuuni (no offense to more reasonable Reckoning fans, but their Hunters are supernaturals in denial).

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
@Kat

until you clean up your offensive language I don't care what you think.

@YOLF

I didn't say that new and old were the same, I said that onyx pathing hasn't done anything to change the status quo in any way, so I think the setting is still just as dumb.

Umbra of Chaos

• Not Actually a Mod
  • Alter Ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
I think the status quo of a setting is a bit different than the fluff. You mentioned the latter not the former in your post about it. Also, are you gonna say anything to explain why the setting is dumb or not?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:08:32 PM by Umbra of Chaos »