Author Topic: role playing ideas thread  (Read 32063 times)

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
Re: role playing ideas thread
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »
1) Something like a full on, rule of cool driven parody RP of the likes of Chuunibyou is something I wouldn't mind playing at all, and crossed with Black Rock Shooter it would already provide a lot of elements that fit together neatly with the concept.

2) Man, that just sounds like fun. No kidding it does. I'd play it.
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 01:49:56 AM »
Here's an idea: Edgelord, The RP

Classic RPG style fite monsters go through dungeon, except every PC has to reach a certain level of edge and darkness before being accepted.The dungeon would be completely planned out to the end, but what we'd all really be waiting for is for the edgemasters to start killing each other because "MY SWORD HAND THIRTS FOR BLOOD" or something, and the longer it takes before it happens the more you guys are losing. You lose completely if you reach the end of the dungeon before the EDGE overtakes you.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 02:16:05 AM »
That sounds like Internet Faggotry Social Commentary: The RP
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 02:47:12 AM »
You've seen through me

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »
1) Something like a full on, rule of cool driven parody RP of the likes of Chuunibyou is something I wouldn't mind playing at all, and crossed with Black Rock Shooter it would already provide a lot of elements that fit together neatly with the concept.

2) Man, that just sounds like fun. No kidding it does. I'd play it.

Yaaay, feedback.

1) If I could only figure out how to multi-quote on this damned forum... Anyways, I think I may have a solution to deal w/ Lantz's earlier objection regarding an in-universe "goal". Really, it's something rather simple: someone IC will be [REDACTED].

2) That noble, solitary figure/ Of this lonely warrior/ Smash that furious blade in!/ Make the era shine, Turn the future gold/ GAROOOOOO~

...Ahem. So, I've come up w/ some ideas for if we do cyberpunk or a lighter variety of it (danke, Burnout). I've noticed I spoke more of GARO's titular Knights last time, so I suppose it's only fair I devote some space to the Priests. In GARO's canon setting, Priests are nowadays the primary support infrastructure for the Knights; once upon a time, though, Priests were the only line of defense against the Horrors, until someone decided that there should be a function-specific caste solely dedicated to actual combat. Hence the Knights, and their unique possession of Madou Armor.

W/ the ushering in of the Knights came in another change: canonically, only men could become Knights, while either gender was eligible to become a Priest. As far as I can figure, the reasoning is kinda-sorta like the case w/ the yakuza's schtick of NO GIRLS ALLOWED in organized crime: you want tough Knights, and yada yada yada biological predisposition yada yada.

It's really just a thing, like how magical girls of their respective genre are the only ones who can have, well, magic. (FUCKING BULLSHIT, but then there's Nanoha, which was okay for a while, until YURI TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES CHOO CHOO.) And yes, this did come up as a significant plot point in GARO's canon, in at least two ways.

Anyway. Priests also receive extensive combat training, though it may or may not be a universal thing; many of the canon ones introduced, though, have been seriously hardcore motherf'ers, and that's counting the women alone. The lack of Armor is the key divider, b/c again, WoD Werewolf-tier. That said, Priests are basically the only true mages of the setting; they have access to tons of arcane knowledge to apply, even if strictly spells-wise we see something rather limited. Also, by the 3rd season we see Priests making use of magitek familiars called Goryuu (or something like that, WHATEVER, GEEZE), which may still not be nearly as powerful, but they can be hella versatile.

Oh, and just as Knights are iconic for their Armor, Madou Swords (not always a sword, shut up), Madou Lighter (seriously, shut up), and familiar-as-talking-jewelery, Makai Priests are distinguished by...a magic brush. SHUT. UP, it's still awesome.

3) First of two other ideas I've got, since I went looking back through the previous three pages. If we went for a superhero RP campaign, I'd kinda like to try something more in the vein of Tiger & Bunny's setting and one. Y'know, where superheroes are active b/c of something much more understandable than abstract ideals/motivations that comic writers are inevitably gonna contradict or warp into the new status quo every time there's a reboot or CRISIS. Yeah... Kinda had a tentative plot setup, which took cues from the comic version of Wanted.

4) Second new idea is MECHA. Dear lord, dat mecha~<3 Ahem, right, focus. Uhhhhh... Okay, so, I'm going for something that's kiiiiiiiinda low fantasy in genre, which the mecha afficionados among you might be able to recognize in such examples as Vision of Escaflowne, Break Blade, or Aura Battler Dunbine. Anyone who knows my irc channel when I'm in the mood for talking OCs will know that MANY other series are also gonna be taken apart for inspiration, so I'll spare you that (FOR NOOOOOOOW).

I can say that I'm gonna be taking this premise through the Drakengard filter, so yeah, mecha will be kept serious business (fuck yo GATTAI), and we'll be seeing something like Drakengard's Pact mechanic. Relevant b/c you will not have access to computers; this also means no BEAMU, and no technicolor explosions from a thermonuclear powerplant being breached YET DOING VARIABLE DAMAGE, WHAT UTTER BS, TOMINO WOULD BE SPINNING IN HIS GRAVE IF HE WERE DEAD.

'But Sol, I need my AI waifu to help me pilot!' you say? Hmm, let me think---NO. NOOOO. You will pilot golems made of psychoreactive mineral and WOOOORMS, you will sell your sell and make a Pact w/ your ungodly gestalt, and you will like it!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:26:30 PM by Soldat der Trauer »

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »
I'll go with the mecha idea... if only because of the sheer awesomeness of it.

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »
I'd definitely play a Garou Priest. They sound like they can be pretty awesome. And if the brush is anything like the Celestial Brush in Okami.... WIN!

The medieval/steampunk/low fantasy mech idea also sounds pretty interesting even if mechas are not usually my cup of tea.

Lycodrake

• Multi-Classed Idol
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »
I'd definitely play a Garou Priest. They sound like they can be pretty awesome. And if the brush is anything like the Celestial Brush in Okami.... WIN!
You sir have good taste - as usual.
Spoiler for Best -monogatari:

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »
Got a few more campaign ideas I was supposed to put up last night, but hey, gotta watch my shows.

5) "Lyrical Force" is very damn much a working title; I'll change it one of these days. Overall, this is basically Nanoha x Ace Combat x Macross. I know a number of people are Touhou fans, so at least of you may be acquainted w/ a certain doujin hosted on danbooru and pixiv that kinda sorta sounds like this already:

http://www.donmai.us/pools/5623

6) Next is a "reverse magical girl" story where the PC is the genre's resident mascot familiar. Not sure what the exact setting would be yet, but the overall premise came to me during an argument whence Nanoha was brought up...

23:28   SolSorrow   That's what I wonder, though: could there be a story where you've got someone as stubborn as Yuuno (who went ALONE to recover the Jewel  Seeds), is also hurt and can transform, but STILL retains that mentality of needing to be the one to personally resolve things?
23:28   SolSorrow   B/c Yuuno ditches that.
23:28   SolSorrow   BUT WHAT IF.
23:29   SolSorrow   :V
23:30   YOLF    Hrmmm.
23:30   YOLF    I see what you mean, although speaking on a meta level, you realize you want to make the "helper/mentor" characters the heroes
23:30   YOLF           which I don't disagree with, on a lot of cases, it would make stuff interesting.
23:32   SolSorrow   Possible plot bunny for a..well, I doubt *this* qualifies as a deconstruction... Though that depends on how hard the "decoy protagonist" jumps at what they think is DA CALL.

7) FINALLY, something more familiar: a Nasuverse campaign. FINALLY FINALLY, one that's also not a cookie cutter Grail War clone where NOTHING CHANGES, HOW CAN THIS BE, WE HAVE FANFICTION WRITERS AMONG US, FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAYBE FUCKING GO CONSULT THEM OR SOMETHING.

This one will be set in the Siberian wilderness, and be much more of a murder/mystery/horror story. Sadly, I don't think the world is ready for a Silent Hill rendition of the Nasuverse, so that'll be kept on the back burner for another day...

8) Another MECHA premise, though truer to the genre's usual. 4chan's /tg/ has monopolized Gundam, I'm kinda not ready for PURIST Macross/Robotech (what ever that means~), and Mellon has his RP full of bloody wankers, sooooooooo... Gonna try something a tad different; this premise is centered fully around the franchise known as Zone of the Enders, a Kojima production (really, you should know the name from Metal Gear). This RP would occur during the time gap b/t the end of Dolores, i and run co-currently w/ ZoE 2, the latter of which is BEST MECHA GAME.

If I had to give this a title, simplest would be "BAHRAM Quest". Yeeeeeep, the "bad guys". Pretty sure you can also tell this will likely turn into AU of some degree, though that will depend on player choices!

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 05:56:52 PM »
2) That noble, solitary figure/ Of this lonely warrior/ Smash that furious blade in!/ Make the era shine, Turn the future gold/ GAROOOOOO~

...Ahem. So, I've come up w/ some ideas for if we do cyberpunk or a lighter variety of it (danke, Burnout). I've noticed I spoke more of GARO's titular Knights last time, so I suppose it's only fair I devote some space to the Priests. In GARO's canon setting, Priests are nowadays the primary support infrastructure for the Knights; once upon a time, though, Priests were the only line of defense against the Horrors, until someone decided that there should be a function-specific caste solely dedicated to actual combat. Hence the Knights, and their unique possession of Madou Armor.

W/ the ushering in of the Knights came in another change: canonically, only men could become Knights, while either gender was eligible to become a Priest. As far as I can figure, the reasoning is kinda-sorta like the case w/ the yakuza's schtick of NO GIRLS ALLOWED in organized crime: you want tough Knights, and yada yada yada biological predisposition yada yada.

It's really just a thing, like how magical girls of their respective genre are the only ones who can have, well, magic. (FUCKING BULLSHIT, but then there's Nanoha, which was okay for a while, until YURI TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES CHOO CHOO.) And yes, this did come up as a significant plot point in GARO's canon, in at least two ways.

Anyway. Priests also receive extensive combat training, though it may or may not be a universal thing; many of the canon ones introduced, though, have been seriously hardcore motherf'ers, and that's counting the women alone. The lack of Armor is the key divider, b/c again, WoD Werewolf-tier. That said, Priests are basically the only true mages of the setting; they have access to tons of arcane knowledge to apply, even if strictly spells-wise we see something rather limited. Also, by the 3rd season we see Priests making use of magitek familiars called Goryuu (or something like that, WHATEVER, GEEZE), which may still not be nearly as powerful, but they can be hella versatile.

Oh, and just as Knights are iconic for their Armor, Madou Swords (not always a sword, shut up), Madou Lighter (seriously, shut up), and familiar-as-talking-jewelery, Makai Priests are distinguished by...a magic brush. SHUT. UP, it's still awesome.

I love you more, brother. Garo is fucking awesome.

7) FINALLY, something more familiar: a Nasuverse campaign. FINALLY FINALLY, one that's also not a cookie cutter Grail War clone where NOTHING CHANGES, HOW CAN THIS BE, WE HAVE FANFICTION WRITERS AMONG US, FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAYBE FUCKING GO CONSULT THEM OR SOMETHING.

This one will be set in the Siberian wilderness, and be much more of a murder/mystery/horror story. Sadly, I don't think the world is ready for a Silent Hill rendition of the Nasuverse, so that'll be kept on the back burner for another day...

A Silent Hill Crossover with the Nasuverse would be actually cool. But not in the setting of a Grail War. Maybe an investigation held by the MA and the Church?

On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 04:14:01 AM »
A Silent Hill Crossover with the Nasuverse would be actually cool. But not in the setting of a Grail War. Maybe an investigation held by the MA and the Church?

Oh, for sure! Full agreement since the beginning; Grail War RPs need serious revamping to be worth it. Seriously, we've got all kinds and qualities of fanfiction writers, yet we just do the same cookie-cutter shit over and over? ALL OF MY WHAT.

Silent Hill x Nasuverse would have worked out best w/ the basic premise of Melty Blood. That said, I still adore what canon MB turned out as, but yeah.

A story/campaign w/ a strong horror/thriller theme seems like it'd be preferable. I've got a basic outline for the Russia-set one, and I'm accepting suggestions for alternate proposals.

YOU KNOW GAROOOOOOOOOOOO~?!?

D:

DUDE. HIT THIS SHIT UP.

XD
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:16:09 AM by Soldat der Trauer »

Puck-Chan

• NPC
  • Sup
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2014, 04:21:00 AM »

Oh, for sure! Full agreement since the beginning; Grail War RPs need serious revamping to be worth it. Seriously, we've got all kinds and qualities of fanfiction writers, yet we just do the same cookie-cutter shit over and over? ALL OF MY WHAT.

Silent Hill x Nasuverse would have worked out best w/ the basic premise of Melty Blood. That said, I still adore what canon MB turned out as, but yeah.

A story/campaign w/ a strong horror/thriller theme seems like it'd be preferable. I've got a basic outline for the Russia-set one, and I'm accepting suggestions for alternate proposals.

YOU KNOW GAROOOOOOOOOOOO~?!?

D:

DUDE. HIT THIS SHIT UP.

XD

Yeah, I'm good with the Russian idea so far. But how will it go?

Also, YES. FUCKING GARO. Btw, what do you think about Crow's armor? I thought it was really nice. Design and powers.

On 3/22/15, at 10:09 AM, Donkey Punch Fucker! wrote:
> On 3/22/15, at 10:07 AM, ReverseLogic wrote:
> > seriously, again, I ran one of the weakest characters. you keep obsessing over abilities and powers
> Power, it's something so... so intangible. Yet, has such a strong grip upon me. I... I want it. I desire it, in my hands, in my life, in my soul. And once I have, I will simply want more, while jealously guarding what I have.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
So, I've got several ideas but I want to know what you guys want to play, in general I mean.

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »
So, I've got several ideas but I want to know what you guys want to play, in general I mean.

Well, w/o sounding like Mags when he gets his spiels under way, and assuming quests aren't an option...

>I'd be interested in a fantasy-esque campaign, buuuut Glen Cook has instilled in me a minor bias against the Tolkien derivatives that many D&D spin-offs fall under. Which is somewhat ironic, since Green Ronin released a Black Company module for d20 D&D some few years ago, I realize.

>There was also that SRW-esque mecha campaign dropped last November, I think. I would've liked to play in that, assuming we could come to a compromise on the statting since machines from certain franchises/universes are more of one mech genre than the other.

>You long ago on BL had a Megaman thread, but I wouldn't want to do CLassic; setting a campaign b/t the X and Zero series makes a lot more sense since you have a wide time gap complete w/ a rough outline of what important events occurred and who was involved. Lot less chance of dicking around w/ established canon that way, what w/ all the potential Hunters that'd still be around at the onset of the Elf Wars.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
Define quest Sol.

I can do several fantasy genre types.

super robot wars is easy given my mecha knowledge (not all encompassing but fairly decent)

I can do the X time line, I know enough mega man to do any time period. But for a point of fact it was an alternate time line after the classic period to lead into the X time period based on the theory that Zero killed classic mega man. That was the RP I had. Still X time line would be fun. Just don't expect mercy in regards to the boss fights and missions.