Author Topic: role playing ideas thread  (Read 32471 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: role playing ideas thread
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »
What you are suggesting YOLF is a player driven game. That's plenty fine, I've done games like that a ton of times. It barely needs a game master at all, hell, aside from the angel fights that's exactly what Evangelion is RP wise.

I do understand the concept but I think that the directionless nature of the game is not something I'd be interested in GMing.

Actually in addition to the previous games

1) Superhero game. Everyone has superpowers and is a hero, villain or anti hero.

2) murder mystery, like higurashi or such.

3) typical shonen style supers game, like Naruto, dbz, magical index, and so on. People have powers and stomp face with them.

and the mecha idea, I'd like to toss a Black lagoon game idea out there. I think it would be hilarious and awesome.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
As I'm discussing this with Soldat and YOLF, I had come to an interesting idea... namely, a Nasu/Shin Megami Tensei crossover RP.

In short, the Nasu side of things, namely the Demon Hunters and Magi, would work together to figure out how the SMT side of things even got into their playground, with an optional Grail War going on (optional being if anyone wants to see it happen) partway through the game.

Anyone interested in playing in such a game?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
Well, what would the player's involvement be?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
Which smt would it be based on? I'm a huge smt fan (and I still have the crossover outline for an smt Nasuverse thing idle) but there's five continuities at this point. Further, what level of crossover? Is this an smt incident heaped on the Nasuverse characters or something different?

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
Well, what would the player's involvement be?

The players would either be Magi or Demon Hunters. Depending on circumstances in-game, they'll either be fighting the SMT demons solely, or they'll be involved in a Grail War (which, honestly, is quite optional).

Oh, there'll be stats that work for the game, but mainly in traditional RPG style (DnD 4.5e rules). I decided to heavily modify the rules to make sure that it'll work for everyone.

Which smt would it be based on? I'm a huge smt fan (and I still have the crossover outline for an smt Nasuverse thing idle) but there's five continuities at this point. Further, what level of crossover? Is this an smt incident heaped on the Nasuverse characters or something different?

I'm still thinking on which SMT this will be based on, but I know that it's what you're thinking of, in regards to the level of crossover.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »
Would the canon characters be around?

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
Perhaps, but not like their canonical selves (especially if we're going into the Fifth Grail War). For instance, Sakura would be a Demon Hunter in this setting (Zouken being dead by that point helps).

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »
Ah, OK.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
4.5 edition? They released a point five for 4th D&D? Given how bad they did with 4th edition I'm not surprised but I'm not familiar with it.

As for the rest, that seems very unbalanced. It's hardly Nasuverse at all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:06:49 AM by lantzblades »

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2014, 04:30:51 AM »
Believe me, Lantz, I only have that, Pathfinder, and Star Wars Saga Edition (for D20 rules).

Well... in regards to the balance issues, I'm still working on it, alright?

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
Pathfinder is ok but honestly you should just do conversions for either the FSN servant stats or use the smt stats.

And I'm not chastising you Xam, I'm pointing out that the setting seems skewed.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2014, 10:51:47 PM »
Okay, Lantz, I hear ya. I'll work out the details before anything else happens.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2014, 03:25:36 AM »
That would be best I think, just for the sake of the game at large

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2014, 03:39:04 AM »
Yeah... I'll be sure to work out all the details beforehand.

In the meantime... is anyone willing to play a game like DnD, but with me handling the dice rolls? I mean, I want to play a traditional RPG... as the Game Master.

I'll provide the details behind this game as soon as possible.

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »
1) Black Rock Shooter x Chuuni. Basically something of a parody RP. Might throw in some Persona in there, but BRS alone more than covers the general range of shared plot elements and conventions (coughsociallinkscough).

2) "Naraku no Hana" (aka "Flower of Hell", for the less weeaboo). A GARO/Karas-inspired RP where players take on the job of hunting down Horrors. You can be the arcane Priest, armed w/ a host of magical items and spells, which is actually cooler than it sounds; alternatively, you can be a titled Knight, the big guns of Makai Society, armed w/ a weapon of choice, a magic lighter and the ability to summon Madou Armor for 100 seconds that puts you at Crinos Werewolf-tier.

tl;dr You're gonna reeeaaaaally mess up somebody's day in your armor.

Uhhhhhh, we'd either go w/ contemporary urban fantasy like the canon seasons of GARO (pending word on the new 2014 season or the announced anime), or we could up the Karas influences to Kikokugai levels and move into some cyberpunk proper. Gameplay focuses a lot on identifying and tracking a Horror before you can do anything about it; think grimdark Bakemonogatari w/ its Oddities, kinda. Vampire!Araragi is basically a Knight, Oshino is basically a Priest, blah blah, you get the idea.

Also, out-of-armor combat for the Knights is a biiiiig thing; there's a very good reason for the time limit, so don't expect to go "IT'S MORPHIN' TIME" and go the distance w/ just that. Your henshin is your trump card; don't forget that.