Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV: Third time the charm?  (Read 11556 times)

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Are me and Magos only people who actually know how to play it?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think so.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
I highly recommend you actually do buy this game when it goes on sale in the summer. It's a fantastic strategy game, with deceptively simple gameplay hiding a much much more intricate framework.

On the surface, it might look like all I'm doing is moving armies around, but in reality I'm doing far far more than that - there's an entire mechanic based around your army and how many men you can afford to have in it, along with the risk of running low on manpower during a series of conflicts. There's a very complex trade system (OK, not that complex, but if you don't know what you're doing you will fuck up with it) a diplomatic menu I've barely scratched the surface of, and a multitude of nations that I haven't even touched.

For forty dollars, this game gives a load of content.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Eh, how are you playing it if it's not being sold yet?

And, yeah, I have considered getting it and giving it a go.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
On sale as in 'It's cheaper'. That sort of sale.

Otherwise, for 40 bucks this is one hell of an enjoyable time if you like painting maps.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
I bought boxed Victoria 2 with all DLCs for an equivalent of 5 bucks, so in some countries it's even cheaper than on Steam.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile

Otherwise, for 40 bucks this is one hell of an enjoyable time if you like painting maps.

Ah, OK.

Well, if I was bothered enough by the cost to wait until summer, I'd just torrent it anyway....

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile

Ah, OK.

Well, if I was bothered enough by the cost to wait until summer, I'd just torrent it anyway....

Don't pirate Paradox games. The dev's are fucking awesome dudes, and they really sell their games for relatively cheap.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Yeah, I guess, but if I'm not going to otherwise buy it then I see no massive issue with pirating it. It's not like I'm costing them anything, and if I like a game I pirate I will usually buy it at some point unless it's made by dicks or has stupid DRM.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Buy at least vanilla without DLCs, it's friggin good game and Paradox cares about fanbase. DLCs are not free, but they add much in comparison to many other game developers.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
Buy at least vanilla without DLCs, it's friggin good game and Paradox cares about fanbase. DLCs are not free, but they add much in comparison to many other game developers.

Exactly - they don't do take down claims of people putting videos of their games on Youtube. Or posting the soundtracks. They're pretty chill dudes.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Only developers more chill than them are CD Project Red to my personal knowledge.