Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV: Third time the charm?  (Read 11652 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Europa Universalis IV: Third time the charm?
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:50 AM »
So with a DLC to Paradox's newest Grand Strategy game almost out (in a few months I'm hoping) and having just gotten Conquest of Paradise, I have an itch to do an actual After Action report. So, for everyone on DSM I'm going to give you a favor, and start an entirely new game and play nearly 400 years worth of alternate history, from 1444 to 1821, where I'm writing this story through my actions in game (And providing you all with screenshots to follow along). So, which nation do you want me to start with?

What about the mighty Muscovy, the Grand Duchy posed to make the massive nation of Russia, if only it can defeat its most powerful rival, the Republic of Novogrod? Perhaps plucky little Portugal, the trading power of the Iberian Peninsula with ambitions in Africa and possibly the New World? Maybe Jolly Olde England, who's continental ambitions are challenged from the beginning of the game, yet has the potential to become the mightiest colonial power the world has ever known? Why not Sweden, the nation who's struggle for independence will be bitterly contested against the rest of the Kalamar Union, but with victory may in fact carve an empire from the petty struggles of the Baltic States?

Or maybe none of these options appeal to you, and there is some other nation who's struggles through history you might want me to record?

Voting will end in two weeks, so pick fast!

EDIT:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/

A link for a list of nations, possibilities with which to torment me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:40:58 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

YOLF

• Sir Bonesington
  • Global Moderator
  • Servant
    • View Profile
PORTUGAL STRONK
TUGA POWER

VAI E GANHA, PORTUGAAAAAALL!
[13:38:37] Helligator: Depends on the god, but gods by definition in Nasuverse are strong because they have divine authority.
[13:38:48] Kat: Even the toilet god?
[13:38:56] Helligator: No one worships toilets.
[13:39:00] Helligator: Don't be a shitlord.

[04:32:08] Helligator: I can't make dragons in power armor like this

[19:50:12] francobull III: [...] why are you being all assive aggressive?

[23:32:37] Helligator: use the narrative as a means to convey an interesting story and cool conflicts with the openness you're allowed
[23:32:43] Helligator: not to CHEAT stories and conflicts

Soldat der Trauer

• NPC
    • View Profile
NO.

SWEDES. FIX BAYONETS, THEN CUT THOSE FUCKERS DOWN.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Poland of course. I cannot go against my Origin.

Ivan The Mouse

• "Please don't kill me, I made your bread!"
  • NPC
    • View Profile
Go Prussia, motherfucker! Kick everyone's asses just like the Seven Years' War!

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
Having very nearly formed Germany by the 1550's in my Brandenburg playthrough already, I'm vetoing that one because I've already got an idea of how to do it.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Second idea of mine is to do Christian Japan.

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
Second idea of mine is to do Christian Japan.

Yes, Christianize Japan! Any sect will do.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:19:29 AM by Ivan The Mouse »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
>Catholic Japan

...Oh man, you guys REALLY want me to have a challenge don't you?

EDIT:

For that matter, which Clan should I start as?

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Oda clan, just because Oda was that kind of atheist who promoted Christianity over Buddhism oddly. Must have been like that because of guns. He was also the first Japanese of importance, I think, to wear Western clothes and own a black slave.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
I could have sworn it was the Otomo who actually really embraced Christianity.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Oda had his share too. Again, he was atheist, so he did it out of pragmatism because Christianity had much more to offer than Buddhism and Shintoism. But he would have more in mind a religiously plural society to not have any religion too strong. I bet one of reasons why he is demonized in Japanese popular culture is that he burned more than few Buddhist shrines and monasteries that opposed his policies.

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
I could have sworn it was the Otomo who actually really embraced Christianity.

It's Oda, man. It's him! He accepted Christianity and knows how to do his shit (read: how to win wars.), so you play as him!

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
You guys do know that I'm going with a 1444 start. I'll see what sort of starting position Oda is in because an AAR of "I got murdered by the AI twenty years in" isn't fun for either of us.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Can you actually prevent Nobunaga getting murdered?

BTW, in my EU2 copy, I modified Japanese events to award you for taking the hard route of tolerating Christians.

When Xavier arrives, you advance to Muslim techgroup. When Hideyoshi Edict event comes up, you can switch to Orthodox tech group bz tolerating Christians, but Kyushu converts. Then when Tokugawa Edict comes up, you get choice to convert to Counter Reformed, and have Kanto and Shikoku converted for free, switching to Latin group at the cost of huge rebellions, you can continue to tolerate Christians while staying Confucian and Orthodox tech group or switch back to Muslim tech group by persecuting them which ultimately switches you back to Chinese tech group with Sakoku policy event.