Author Topic: Dark Side of the Moon, a collaborative story project (original fiction version)  (Read 15454 times)

ranmabushiko

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
OK, so, how does all this "Ki" stuff supposedly work?

Obviously, I don't believe in it in real life, but this is a fictional story with fantasy elements, so there's no reason why we can't include it if it fits.

Ki, in real life, is the life force of your body.  An easier term for it, would be the bioelectricity that your brain uses to communicate, half assed used to achieve other things.  It's the closest thing I've seen to any sort of realistic "Force" in existence.

Acupuncture is used to fix flows of Ki within the body, and though not everyone agrees that it exists, both Acupuncture and Shiatsu were developed by mapping out the flows of Ki within one's body, initially.

But, in real life, there's both the Meridians and Chakras that work for your body.  The Chakras are like the big organs that generate and adjust Ki through the body, and when in tune, helps the body keep from getting sick.  On the other hand, meridians are like the blood vessels for Ki, so it moves through the body properly.

A picture of the Meridians is here:  http://www.healingqigong.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/meridians.jpg

And a picture of the chakras, for the traditional showing of only the major ones, is here:  http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7hzjfaunh1rskgyto1_500.jpg

This is all based off of Chinese martial arts and medicine, mind you.  There's all sorts of different names for it.  I just call it what I was taught.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
As I said, I don't believe in any of this stuff (in particular, your explanation doesn't make any sense if you know basic Biology), but since this is a fictional universe I see no reason not to include it.

You do have to understand, though, that I want the scientific aspect of this story to actually be accurate, which means I'm not going to stick in any pseudo-scientific explanations based around "bioelectricity" (nerve signals are indeed electrical in nature, but the body does not have a reservoir of electricity or anything like that, it just creates a potential difference at one end of the nerve using sodium ions (hence why we need salt to survive)). Either it's actual science (which means either verified to be true or else something we've not discovered yet but which could be true), or it's supernatural or magical in origin and follows a different set of rules.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
KI is the outward life force as i recall, it's similar to Chi although the context is different. I thing being Ki into this could be problematic. frankly we need to establish the genres actually present first before anything else.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Well, OK, we should get back to working on this, then. What do we need to do next?

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
As I said we need the interested parties to formally agree on the genre we are working with its between fantasy, SciFi a mixture of the former two with urban or a mixture of all three

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
OK, well, then we need to work out who the "interested parties" actually are.