Author Topic: People Love Robots  (Read 9028 times)

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
People Love Robots
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
It seems that robots are capable of initiating the same responses in terms of making us care about them these days as other humans do, at least according to this article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130423091111.htm

I blame making so many of them so cute. :3

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: People Love Robots
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
It seems that robots are capable of initiating the same responses in terms of making us care about them these days as other humans do, at least according to this article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130423091111.htm

I blame making so many of them so cute. :3
I don't think that's really that shocking. We're pretty good at humanising non-human things (you only have to look at how we talk to and treat pets, or even possessions like a car or computer). Plus, if I can form an emotional attachment to a fictional character sufficient to make me waste hours of my life defending her, I don't see why the same wouldn't apply to a robot....

The human mind isn't designed to handle objects which are deliberately human-like but not truly human. We didn't evolve in a world with films, TV shows, books and robots, after all. So, we tend to attach human-level emotions to them, at least subconsciously.

ZidanReign

• Maximum Shitposter.
  • Spiritron
  • I did it. I killed God.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:32 PM »
sexbots
Asian people's eyes are squinty due to generations of staring disapprovingly at their offspring.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:13:27 PM »
inb4 Robot Sakura.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:51 PM »
After watching Chobits I can't get behind the idea of robots not having emotions, at least once sufficiently intelligent

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
Well, there is no logical reason why an intelligent robot necessarily would have emotions. It depends how they're designed and how their intellectual capacity is developed (any robot that is smart enough to be considered sentient will almost certainly have their intellectual capacity developed by some sort of algorithm rather than programmed-in by hand).

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
I hope the vision of Chobits will never come true and we won't have sex slave robots.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Honestly, I think it's pretty inevitable that someone will try. After all, we have sex-slave humans, I don't see why robots will be treated any differently. Plus, we already kind-of do have such things, they're just extremely primitive and non-sentient.

All I hope is that, when we get to the point where robots gain sentience, people are enlightened enough to give them the rights that should go with that sentience. If we don't, then robot slavery (including sexual slavery) is inevitable.

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
I don't see robots made for sex unless for weird people. There is legal prostitution in civilized countries like Germany.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 02:44:58 PM »
I don't see robots made for sex unless for weird people. There is legal prostitution in civilized countries like Germany.

Robots have fewer limits, though. You can have sex with a prostitute, but there are things they won't do, they don't necessarily look like your perfect woman and they're certainly not going to be there at any time of the day whenever you want sex. Obviously, for such a thing to really take off, you'd need robots that look and feel human, but once such a thing exists I don't see it as remotely unnatural or weird for people to want to have sex with them, because they are specifically designed to allow you to forget that they're a robot when doing so.

There are also other useful applications of producing human-like robot bodies that are sexually functional. For example, you could have virtual sex with your partner whilst they are thousands of miles away, simply by having them control the movements of your sex robot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:47:44 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
Robots have fewer limits, though. You can have sex with a prostitute, but there are things they won't do, they don't necessarily look like your perfect woman and they're certainly not going to be there at any time of the day whenever you want sex.

Your average legal prostitute has simply dignity to not pander to everything. They are providing services, so the client base must comply.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:17:31 PM by Cool Kat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
Robots have fewer limits, though. You can have sex with a prostitute, but there are things they won't do, they don't necessarily look like your perfect woman and they're certainly not going to be there at any time of the day whenever you want sex.

Your average legal prostitute has simply dignity to not pander to everything. They are providing services, so the client base must comply.

Yeah, which is why people will want sex bots, because those will "pander to everything"....

And, it's not quite that simple, it's more a matter of what they're comfortable with doing. It's not about "dignity", it's about what they feel comfortable doing. Different people have different limitations and restrictions (and, no, not all of them fit to your narrow idea of what is "acceptable" sex). With a robot, even if you give them a choice about what they will and won't do, the nature of their existence makes it possible to produce more variety in what they feel comfortable with, so people who have more specific desires will be more inclined to go for a robot rather than going to a prostitute who won't really fulfill their wishes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:23:07 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
and, no, not all of them fit to your narrow idea of what is "acceptable" sex

Mine more mainstream, excuse me.

. With a robot, even if you give them a choice about what they will and won't do, the nature of their existence makes it possible to produce more variety in what they feel comfortable with,

That means people make a sentient being and attempt to mould it to cater to people's need without really giving a choice. That's a slavery.

If we make sentient robots, they should be made with no specific purpose in mind than being able to choose for themselves.

Creation of new intelligent species is something profound.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:32:50 PM by Cool Kat »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
and, no, not all of them fit to your narrow idea of what is "acceptable" sex

Mine more mainstream, excuse me.

I don't care. Just because something is not "mainstream", it does not make it wrong, and nor does it give you the right to dictate that it shouldn't happen.

That means people make a sentient being and attempt to mould it to cater to people's need without really giving a choice. That's a slavery.

Well, it's difficult to really say that. I do find the idea of creating a being so that it will cater to your needs somewhat distasteful but, at the same time, once such a being exists, it is just as entitled to follow its wishes than anyone else. And, it's difficult to really define "giving it a choice" in this context, because there is simply no way to allow a robot to choose its core programming. That's like saying that we should be allowed to choose our own genes....

Further, I think that programming all robots to have vanilla tastes would be extremely dull and restrictive (and would probably have bad results for human society if robots became prevalent). So, this is an issue that I don't think has a particularly good answer. Creating a robot for the purpose of serving humans in a particular manner does seem rather disturbing, yes, but I don't think it is really possible to just start a robot out as a blank slate and expect it to just develop a personality with no influence from the creator, particularly since robots start out as "adults" (i.e. they aren't raised like a human child), and a lack of a personality would almost certainly result in exploitation. Plus, honestly, we already do it with humans to a large extent. How a child grows up is a product of society and of their parents. I don't see why a robot would be any different.

If we make sentient robots, they should be made with no specific purpose in mind than being able to choose for themselves.

Creation of new intelligent species is something profound.

The problem is that we have to give them some kind of personality. However you choose that personality, it is automatically determining their purpose. Further, we are almost certainly going to want to produce sentient robots to perform certain tasks for us, and I'm not sure that is necessarily a bad thing, provided they are treated decently.

I also suspect that, in practice, the whole thing will be done in a much more haphazard way than this. We won't give robots rights until they can demonstrate that such rights are needed, and I think the only way they will ever start showing that is when they start acting in ways that go against their initial programming.

Also, there is another factor here, which is that it is entirely possible to produce a non-sentient sex doll which is programmed to act human-like but isn't intelligent enough to be considered alive. I see nothing wrong with that, since they're not sentient or self-aware. And, further, I wouldn't be surprised if the first sentient sex doll developed because some clever programmer in the sex doll industry accidentally designed a neural net that resulted in a sentient being. Even determining if that has happened is a difficult process, because, actually, we don't have a very good definition of what is and is not sentient.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:48:23 PM by Cherry Lover »

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
Eh, people can do with non intelligent machines what they want, since they have no sentience, but if we can mimick how human minds acquire and develop personality, robots don't need to be implanted with pre-defined tastes and personality, they should acquire them on their own. If an intelligent non-human decides to be a prostitute or a scientist on its own, we should respect that. True AI should be not created as specificly crafted servants, but as our younger siblings in intelligence.

That's like saying that we should be allowed to choose our own genes....

In fact we can, genetic engineering is a thing that won't only prevent diseases caused by the make up of DNA, but improve humanity in such fields like lifespan.