Author Topic: D&D 4th Edition  (Read 5522 times)

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 4th Edition
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 01:52:59 AM »
4th ed is bland Arch, it's incredibly sameish regardless of which class you choose. I dislike it, it doesn't matter if it's easy or not the system is very weak in my opinion.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:14 AM »
And I'd say you're quite wrong on that regard - wizards play far differently than say, Fighters. 3.5e was a clusterfuck of rules and Ivory Tower design. It was Caster Edition. 4e's cut down on that quite well.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 02:02:38 AM »
I've played every edition of D&D arch, in my opinion 4th is the worst for a number of reasons and yes the transparency between the daily powers and such is a serious problem, 3.5 had just as many issues but at least creating a character in that system made them feel like they had an identity.

for my personal opinion I find something between the "first" and second editions of d&d makes for the best gaming experience.

and 3.0 was basically unplayable.

for my own personal wish I'd like to run a cyber punk type game with a lil bit of cowboy bebop

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »
Well, ideally Monday - Thursday from about 7 PM to 2 AM British time, since I do often go away weekends, but that is unlikely to be realistic.

As a more realistic option, just about anything between about 2 PM and 4 AM British time on Saturday and Sunday should be doable most weeks, as well as 7 PM to 2 AM Friday.
...I think we can swing that for sunday and saturday. Hell, if you wanted you could join my Hunter Game with that schedule.

Well, when do you guys play?

Also, I will definitely be missing some weeks if we do weekends. I'm away this weekend, for example.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 02:04:35 AM »
Sundays, about 5 to 6 Mountain.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 02:06:17 AM »
I've played every edition of D&D arch, in my opinion 4th is the worst for a number of reasons and yes the transparency between the daily powers and such is a serious problem, 3.5 had just as many issues but at least creating a character in that system made them feel like they had an identity.

for my personal opinion I find something between the "first" and second editions of d&d makes for the best gaming experience.

and 3.0 was basically unplayable.

for my own personal wish I'd like to run a cyber punk type game with a lil bit of cowboy bebop
Well, I've played both 3.5 and 4, and 4 is easily better, far more streamlined, and the idiotic skill system far improved.

Then play Eclipse Phase or Shadowrun. Hell, I'd be willing to run either.

Eclipse Phase is the SHIT when it comes to posthuman settings.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
Nah dude, when it comes to the punk it's all home brew for me. And I mean I'd run it.

streamlined is fine but it trades alot of options for simplicity. That's ok but not at all what many people myself included enjoy.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 02:20:05 AM »
Why homebrew when there's GURPS or splats? FOr that matter, why homebrew when there's a system for it already?

Seriously, Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase are amazing cyberpunk and post human settings. Shadowrun is a god damn cyberpunk classic at this point, having gone through 20 years of evolution into a serious voice in cyberpunk fiction as we know it.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 02:26:19 AM »
Why home brew? Because it's amazing, because the settings for the punk while cool aren't up to date or are off for one reason or another. And because Gurps while awesome is a game creation kit, it's fantastic when you get it rolling but a pain to start, plus my books are lent out at the moment.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:28:21 AM »
>Punk settings aren't up to date

Shadowrun 4e run Gibsonpunk style (no magic) is basically a perfect up to date Cyberpunk setting. There you freaking go.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:29:26 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 02:41:10 AM »
Haven't had the time to pick up 4th for shadow run, I'll take your word for it but most other systems are archaic 80's future tech like a cellphone that's a brick. That aside I prefer to home brew because then no player can have the jump on others in either the technical or the story sense.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »
SR 4e is basically the best edition they've done. 5e can suck a dick for going back to a non-wireless Matrix.

And priority Gen.

And if you want I can send you the PDF of the corebook.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:50:57 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:55 AM »
Yeah but SR has been always very setting entrenched. It might be good but it's not something I find particularly fun to GM when not in person.

I'm not interested in reading pdfs, I prefer physical books

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 03:16:15 AM »
Yeah but SR has been always very setting entrenched. It might be good but it's not something I find particularly fun to GM when not in person.

I'm not interested in reading pdfs, I prefer physical books
Your loss - the industry is switching over to PDF, and I'm betting you won't be able to find a copy of SR 4E 20th Anniversary Edition without paying out the nose for shipping fees.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 03:21:15 AM »
Another reason why home brewing is awesome