General Discussion > Real World Topics

2014 FIFA World Cup Draws

(1/4) > >>

Arch-Magos Winter:
It's looking like we've got three Groups of Death again this year, B, D, and G easily winning out on that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Matches

Group G though, is looking to have some of the best matches of the groups, with the US-Ghana grudge match coming up right at the bat, and Portugal-Germany is going to be fun to watch. US-Portugal could determine the fate of the group, while the other Germany matches look to be an easy sell for the Iron Cross.

Don't count the US out right away though this year, our group of death might be a bit of a blessing in disguise. Playing Germany last could clinch us a pass through this year, if we manage to beat Ghana finally then tie/beat Portugal. We could squeak by on points. It's a long shot but it's time to Ante the fuck up. We aren't going all the way but if we can make Germany look like a buncha idiots I'd say that's a fine trade.

Cherry Lover:
Yeah, the way they did the draw and the fact that the FIFA rankings are rubbish has led to a really uneven draw. You usually get one group of death, but this time there are three nasty ones, and a couple of pretty easy ones (Group E stands out in that respect).

I watched it, and I just had a feeling we were going to get Group D when the European teams were drawn. At the time I thought that was the worst group, but having looked at it I'm not so sure. Whilst having Italy in the group is a real killer, Uruguay wouldn't have been near to the top of the list of seeds to avoid pre-draw. I think honestly that Group B is the worst. It has the World Champions plus another team that blatantly should have been seeded and Chile, who beat England at Wembley pretty convincingly. And even the Aussies aren't that bad. And, if that's not enough, whoever comes second in that group probably has to play Brazil in the Second Round. I suspect that the winner of that Group will probably make the final, though.

The US's group is still horrible, though, as is England's. If KAIZA actually cares about football he'll be pretty pleased, though, Ecuador have got the ridiculously easy group. Even France aren't that good now (they're the lowest-ranked European team to qualify). When I was watching the draw I was really hoping to see us drawn into that one.

You're right that the US's group is interesting, though, especially since your manager is Klinsmann. I'm not sure what you mean by the "US-Ghana grudge match", though.

Still, if you guys do make it through the group you do at least have a decent shot at getting a decent distance into the competition, even the Semi-Finals potentially, because I don't think that Group H has any exceptional teams, and E and F only has Argentina, who you would avoid if you came second in the group anyway. The same applies to England in part, because Group C is also pretty easy, except that if we make the Quarter Finals we're almost certainly going to have to play one of Spain or Brazil.

As far as England's prospects are concerned, I think we can make it out of the group, although it'll be tough, and if we do I think we'll make the Quarters. No way in hell are we going to beat Spain or Brazil, though. We're just not good enough.

Arch-Magos Winter:

--- Quote from: Cherry Lover on December 07, 2013, 01:02:03 AM ---You're right that the US's group is interesting, though, especially since your manager is Klinsmann. I'm not sure what you mean by the "US-Ghana grudge match", though.

Still, if you guys do make it through the group you do at least have a decent shot at getting a decent distance into the competition, even the Semi-Finals potentially, because I don't think that Group H has any exceptional teams, and E and F only has Argentina, who you would avoid if you came second in the group anyway. The same applies to England in part, because Group C is also pretty easy, except that if we make the Quarter Finals we're almost certainly going to have to play one of Spain or Brazil.

As far as England's prospects are concerned, I think we can make it out of the group, although it'll be tough, and if we do I think we'll make the Quarters. No way in hell are we going to beat Spain or Brazil, though. We're just not good enough.

--- End quote ---
We lost our last two games to them, last games of our group too. There's a rather healthy grudge there. It's also the match that will determine if the US can contend with either of the other two teams. We got a blessing in disguise with them first and the Germans last.

As is, G is an up in the air group like B. These are the groups of Death. A good US showing could knock the Germans or Portugese out depending on how Match 1 for the groups go - losing or tying to the US for the Germans if they do the same with Portugal is a death knell. The US-Portugal game will be VERY interesting if the Portuguese win or lose, either way it's a game both teams NEED to win - the US if they want a shot at advancing either way as they have a shot depending on if Germany wins that first game or not to win against them or at least tie, the Portugese for the same reason - it could be a chance to sweep the Group.

Arch-Magos Winter:
Oh god I just realized - there's FOUR groups of death this year. A, B, D, G. Mexico, Croatia, and Brazil in Group A. That'll be interesting, considering how Mexico's been fucking up, they're still a really strong team. This could spell the death of Brazil, Spain, and Germany this year, considering how competitive these groups are.

Cherry Lover:
Croatia aren't that great any more, though, and as far as I recall Mexico haven't been playing brilliantly either.  I wouldn't call Group A a "Group of Death" at all, and I would be surprised if Brazil don't come through it pretty easily. It's certainly not the easiest group, even for Brazil, but they could have got much harder.

But, still, in the second round they're going to have to play Holland or Chile, probably, and both of those could beat them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version