Author Topic: TPP: The newest version of ACTA  (Read 3534 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
TPP: The newest version of ACTA
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
So, it seems like the US government is attempting to negotiate yet another secret treaty to force its copyright laws on everyone else. Apparently it's called TPP and, whilst it doesn't affect the UK or EU just yet (so will not affect me personally), it's still something that needs to be dealt with.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-11/13/tpp-leak

Once again, corporations have free access to the text and the right to make suggestions and alterations, whilst the general public and even politicians are kept out in the cold until they can be presented with a fait-accompli. Fortunately, though, Wikileaks has been leaked a copy and published it, so it is at least possible for people to protest and, hopefully, kill it like SOPA and ACTA were killed by mass opposition.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:38:17 PM by Cherry Lover »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: The newest version of ACTA
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »
Not again. Well, here's hoping this new version of TPP gets squashed much like ACTA and PIPA did (you may want to specify that in the thread title though, so people don't get confused).

Anyway, not seeing too many petitions against it yet, possibly because this news is still pretty new, but here's one at least:

http://action.citizen.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=12228

This is one of the few cases where I'd say that signing petitions like this one is both effective and essential. It helped us beat back ACTA and PIPA, and hopefully it'll help with this rewrite of TPP too.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: The newest version of ACTA
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »
So, it seems like the US government is attempting to negotiate yet another secret treaty to force its copyright laws on everyone else. Apparently it's called TPP and, whilst it doesn't affect the UK or EU just yet (so will not affect me personally), it's still something that needs to be dealt with.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-11/13/tpp-leak

Once again, corporations have free access to the text and the right to make suggestions and alterations, whilst the general public and even politicians are kept out in the cold until they can be presented with a fait-accompli. Fortunately, though, Wikileaks has been leaked a copy and published it, so it is at least possible for people to protest and, hopefully, kill it like SOPA and ACTA were killed by mass opposition.
Luckily, enforcement is basically impossible. This is a pipedream bill. This doesn't mean it shouldn't be opposed however, just that these corporations don't get how the internet operates. Once that data is out there, it WILL find a way to be spread. All you're doing is attempting to close the barn door after the horses have gotten out.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: TPP: The newest version of ACTA
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »
Enforcement isn't actually impossible, though. You certainly can't kill piracy entirely, but you can make it difficult and dangerous enough that most people won't bother, in the same way that China makes avoiding censorship difficult and dangerous enough that most people don't bother.

I am not remotely convinced that would actually help the entertainment industry (although it probably would help the really big companies a bit, especially the ones that are feeding off past success rather than producing things that are actually good), but I think that it is possible to make piracy on a large scale not be worth the risk.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Hmm, some more information about this.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131126/02391925375/us-tpp-negotiators-accused-bullying-refusing-to-budge-ridiculous-ip-corporate-sovereignty-demands.shtml

It seems like the US is really pushing some of this bullshit, including a clause that seemingly puts corporations above the law and even constitution of countries they trade in....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:23 PM »
So basically if this thing doesn't get shot down, Shinra type corporate power stuff will go down? Yikes.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
So basically if this thing doesn't get shot down, Shinra type corporate power stuff will go down? Yikes.
More like Shadowrun style.

I for one welcome our new megacorporate overlords.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
OK, if anyone is interested, here's another petition against it that should hopefully have an effect (it's not aimed exclusively at the US, unlike the other one).

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_the_corporate_death_star_4/?brpaQcb&v=32088

ZidanReign

• Maximum Shitposter.
  • Spiritron
  • I did it. I killed God.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »
fucking hell this thing won't die when it is killed
Asian people's eyes are squinty due to generations of staring disapprovingly at their offspring.