Author Topic: the OC corner  (Read 28385 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: the OC corner
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 06:12:38 AM »
No arch, just no
...Dude, it's a joke.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
Okay, could you two please quit acting like babies? Not only is it annoying, but you two should know better than that!

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
I'm not acting anything xam I'm highly medicated.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
Lantz, sorry, but I wouldn't know if you take meds or not.

Also, not what I mean by 'acting', dude. Instead of "pretending", I mean, well....

*preps an example*

Say, for instance, I have a baby nephew that I'm supposed to take care of. Now, when it comes to how babies act, they do it naturally (hence, no need to pretend, period). They don't have a sense of seeing things from an outside perspective, so, back to the example, a baby cries whenever they have needs that supersede our own, at least according to them.

Yes, the crying happens when other babies are doing things that they don't like and want stopped, which is why I was applying the example.

In this exact instance... no, I don't want to be rude, but you two were acting like literal babies!

...anyway, on the thread topic, I'll come up with something that doesn't have to do with Sue territory when I have the chance. Now ain't the time when I can come up with something... I think.

Mordalfus Grea

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »
I am actually thinking of using Red as my final character in Cross Effects but orient him towards being some sort of comic relief at times (a healing or a prana recharge spell goes wrong a Rule 63's some poor soul for a day or gives them animalistic features they didn't have before) and a support type Mage
 For the guys. Overpowering a spell can cause shit to happen and if your luck is low enough, shit gets really weird.
If you must address me as something, it is not MG! Please address me as Mord if you need to shorten my name

My Other Locations
http://gat-x139.deviantart.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/~mordalfusgrea

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 07:18:17 AM »
Magos was just joking (albeit a bit aggressively), but let's cut this short, right here. And lantz, just because you're highly medicated doesn't mean you should abandon all judgement completely. If you don't think you're fit to post, then don't.

Just ignore lantz, Magos. His stuff is only going to keep getting you more and more frustrated until you finally explode in a Hulk-like ball of rage, and I think another argument between you guys is a bad idea and accomplishes nothing, so let's try to keep it calm in here. Back away from him a bit.

And lantz, I'm going to be honest here (note: words from here on in are my own opinion and have nothing to do with admin doctrine. And then there were disclaimers, and it was good). I'm going to try to take a different approach this time. Toshi has way too much... stuff. The reason he seems illogical and overpowered to a good number of people is because he has too many unique and special items at his disposal that distinguish him as very unique from all others. To the point where he's way too unique.

Even Superman only has a moderate set of powers, and he doesn't have a bunch of other things that make him special. He grew up in rural Kansas, which I can tell you from living in Tornado Alley that it's about as thrilling and special as it sounds. ...Even calling this strip of the Midwest "Tornado Alley" makes things sound much more thrilling than they really are around here. The point is though, he has at least some counterbalances to level out the specialness. Toshi is so special and wonderful with so many special gifts and unique things that he doesn't seem relateable anymore. Even Superman often tends to tip over into unreleatability, but he is still relateable because, even as a powerful alien superbeing, he's still the Big Blue Boyscout and former Farm Boy. He can be easily killed if he's around Kryptonite. That's a danger of writing a powerful character in general, it's too easy to tip the balance into being unrealistic, and Toshi tips it so hard that it almost breaks the scale.

Speaking of Kryptonite, people have asked you repeatedly what Toshi's weaknesses are, and yet you've never told us. Can you please tell us?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:19:26 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
Erm Alice Arch and I weren't arguing. I missed the joke he corrected it and that was that. You and xam are the ones keeping it alive.

as for his stuff. What exactly are you referring to because largely I think you're missing the webbing of development those devices give the other characters  and further a large number of references in and of themselves. Further two things. One Perseus had a ton of stuff without it being weird and secondly to quote Touko Aozaki "a reality. Marble is for those with low combat ability"

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »
Erm Alice Arch and I weren't arguing. I missed the joke he corrected it and that was that. You and xam are the ones keeping it alive.

as for his stuff. What exactly are you referring to because largely I think you're missing the webbing of development those devices give the other characters  and further a large number of references in and of themselves. Further two things. One Perseus had a ton of stuff without it being weird and secondly to quote Touko Aozaki "a reality. Marble is for those with low combat ability"
...That isn't an answer lantz. What are Toshi's weaknesses. It's a simple question.

Oh, and Perseus was a hero from the Age of Gods.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »
In terms of the mod business- sorry, given the recent tensions, I misread the situation. Apologies to you both.

And as for the non-admin business... I hate to sound rude, but other than Perseus bit, I'm not understanding what you're saying. Also, if you could answer my question about his weaknesses, I'd appreciate it.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »
Answer this question first Alice. How well does a brick wall fight?

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »
You're saying he's a tank then and/or can't fight back. But that doesn't really answer my question. Plus I'd prefer a straight answer in general.

Plus I know for a fact that he's fought before, so if it's the latter response to my first sentence, that doesn't make sense, and to the former, that isn't really a weakness onto itself.

Mordalfus Grea

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
I have no issues as long as someone puts effort, time and a decent amount of creativity and/or imagination I to their characters. As such I have no issue with neither Lantz or Magos' characters, though if they had to collaborate together for a FanFiction or something, I'm sure they'd be able to function better with each other or it could become even worse.
If you must address me as something, it is not MG! Please address me as Mord if you need to shorten my name

My Other Locations
http://gat-x139.deviantart.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/~mordalfusgrea

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
It draws energy from other worlds to change the users form. It increases their power from the change. The factor is an estimate based on Rin normally versus with ruby.

I don't think it is quite that simple. It doesn't "increase their power", it simply gives them access to a wider range of abilities.

hit by a car saving Satoshi, there's more to it but I'll explain in later.

Ah, OK.

Honestly, it is rather weird even with Perseus, it just works because it's mostly an indication of how much the Gods favoured him. If you look at how people like Rider talk about him it's pretty clear they see him as a real-life Marty Stu.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:26:35 PM by Cherry Lover »

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
Honestly, it is rather weird even with Perseus, it just works because it's mostly an indication of how much the Gods favoured him. If you look at how people like Rider talk about him it's pretty clear they see him as a real-life Marty Stu.
Rider is so biased, man. But she's sort of right, they did see him negatively.

The thing with Perseus is that he was made fun of for it. His entire adventure he's never really been gizmo-less, and the stuff he had was handed to him by the gods on a silver platter. The City of Athens in particular disliked him for it, and preferred their own hero Theseus despite the fact he was a fool and abandoned his city, because he was a self-made man.

Perseus instead of being a marty sue was a child who was constantly coddled by his parents. They did most of the work, made all of the plans, Perseus just did was he was told. And then on the way home he had a couple moments where he used the head on his own for instawin, but that's it. He didn't really do anything unaided, and that makes him a rather weak hero.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
Thank you names for encapsulating the point. As a hero, at least until he abandons the gifts given to him and earns his own way Satoshi is a weak hero, especially in the case of combat.