Author Topic: the OC corner  (Read 28121 times)

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
Re: the OC corner
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2014, 04:41:46 PM »
I've seen certain things out of lantz's "art" and my best advice is to ignore him completely. Giving him unwarranted attention only feeds his ego.

Phearo

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »
In terms of OCs the only characters I seem to create are those based on negative emotions. Bitterness and regret, rage and depression, manic violence and apathy are some of the pairs I've centered a character on. They hate the world and the world hates them back.

Yes, very grimderp and stupid, I need to stop writing these guys when I'm in such a bad mood.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2014, 11:56:57 PM »
Hmm, interesting. Is that just the sort of characters you like?

Ivan The Mouse

• "Please don't kill me, I made your bread!"
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
As for my characters, people who are at CE know who they are: Rattus, Neo and Yukina.

I'm always looking for someone who will ask me to elaborate on them but, until then, I wouldn't.

Phearo

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2014, 01:17:49 AM »
Hmm, interesting. Is that just the sort of characters you like?

No, not really. I'm quite indifferent to a variety of character archetypes, it's just those traits are the ones I subconsciously veer towards to whenever I make my own.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:56 AM »
I've honestly wanted to ask Ivan, ever since Rattus pulled that gun way back in the annex just never had the chance.

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:52 AM »
I've honestly wanted to ask Ivan, ever since Rattus pulled that gun way back in the annex just never had the chance.

Then ask specific questions, now.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »
What exactly is rattus' involvement in world war two? As I recall he was a Nazi officer, but there's a big difference depending on how he was involved.

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
What exactly is rattus' involvement in world war two? As I recall he was a Nazi officer, but there's a big difference depending on how he was involved.

He was in the Schutzstaffel, with the rank of Hauptstrumfuehrer. First in the Allegemeine SS, then later on to Totenkopfverbaende during his service in Dachau. He was later on transferred to Auschwitz when it first opened, then served as the head guard for the Birkenau subcamp. He was in the Guard Battalion and, if my research is correct, people assigned as camp guards seldom had direct contact with the prisoners, if it ever happened.

Next question.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:02:25 PM by Ivan The Mouse »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »

He was in the Schutzstaffel, with the rank of Hauptstrumfuehrer. First in the Allegemeine SS, then later on to Totenkopfverbaende during his service in Dachau. He was later on transferred to Auschwitz when it first opened, then served as the head guard for the Birkenau subcamp. He was in the Guard Battalion and, if my research is correct, people assigned as camp guards seldom had direct contact with the prisoners, if it ever happened.

Next question.

They probably didn't have a lot of contact, no, but I'm pretty sure they knew what was going on there. Especially as the head guard.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »
How did Yukina and that alchemist guy meet Rattus exactly?

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2014, 07:09:03 AM »
They probably didn't have a lot of contact, no, but I'm pretty sure they knew what was going on there. Especially as the head guard.

Yes, he did know. The problem is that the Shoah as we know it didn't really start when Dachau, the very first concentration camp, opened in 1933, neither did it start in 1940, when Auschwitz opened. In fact, the very first inmates of these camps were criminal and political prisoners during their earliest days. It wasn't until in 1942, when Himmler ordered that all Jewish people imprisoned in the German camps should be transferred to the extermination camps Auschwitz and Majdanek, that the mass killing didn't happen.

And I believe I specified this on the background story in his CE profile, but I did basically say that when Rattus saw the first mass transport of German Jews to Auschwitz, he started to realize what kind of person Hitler really is and it made him disillusioned and disgusted at the Nazi regime. Despite that or maybe even because of that, he went on and just continued to serve at Auschwitz, partly because he because he became cynical and lost all hope for the future, and partly because of Pflichtbewusstsein or his Prussian sense of duty. And during his time at the camp, he refused to do anything directly harmful or directly beneficial to the prisoners.

How did Yukina and that alchemist guy meet Rattus exactly?

Neo, the obnoxious alchemist guy, met Rattus first at San Francisco back in 1970. He tried to rob Rattus while he was dealing arms with the Mafia. They tried to kill each other during the encounter, which made them discover each others' immortality. Neo was first offered by Rattus to be his bodyguard after that. He said no at first, but took the offer later on.

Yukina, on the other hand, met the two of them at Tokyo in 1971. Those two guys were being pursued by the local Yakuza via automotive, and Yukina, seeing that they needed help, hotwired a car and crash-dive it to the Yakuza's car. She got injured at the incident especially one of those surviving Yakuza members got out of the car and shot her. Rattus and Neo saw what she did, they got her fixed, interviewed her and she eventually joined them.

These questions have their answers written in the CE profiles, you need to read them. But next question.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »
Yes, he did know. The problem is that the Shoah as we know it didn't really start when Dachau, the very first concentration camp, opened in 1933, neither did it start in 1940, when Auschwitz opened. In fact, the very first inmates of these camps were criminal and political prisoners during their earliest days. It wasn't until in 1942, when Himmler ordered that all Jewish people imprisoned in the German camps should be transferred to the extermination camps Auschwitz and Majdanek, that the mass killing didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure concentration camps weren't exactly nice places even before the Holocaust started. They were pretty much places for Hitler to dump anyone he didn't like and work them to death. Anyone willing to uphold such a system is a complete asshole.

And I believe I specified this on the background story in his CE profile, but I did basically say that when Rattus saw the first mass transport of German Jews to Auschwitz, he started to realize what kind of person Hitler really is and it made him disillusioned and disgusted at the Nazi regime. Despite that or maybe even because of that, he went on and just continued to serve at Auschwitz, partly because he because he became cynical and lost all hope for the future, and partly because of Pflichtbewusstsein or his Prussian sense of duty.

Wow, so "sense of duty" is more important than mass murder? What an complete and utter wanker....

And during his time at the camp, he refused to do anything directly harmful or directly beneficial to the prisoners.

That really doesn't absolve him, at all. He knew they were murdering people, and yet he not only refused to help them in any way, but even actively assisted in ensuring that they would be murdered. Saying "he didn't do anything directly harmful" is just a bullshit cop-out excuse. The guy is an asshole.

Ivan The Mouse

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure concentration camps weren't exactly nice places even before the Holocaust started. They were pretty much places for Hitler to dump anyone he didn't like and work them to death. Anyone willing to uphold such a system is a complete asshole.

Rattus isn't a complete asshole. The guy fought in the trenches of World War 1, most notably in Somme. When his country got slapped with the War Guilt Clause in the Treaty of Versailles and got reduced to poverty, he got really angry, so he was determined to bring his country back to prominence, especially when he was there when Prussia faced Napoleon during his conquests, when the German Confederation became the German Empire.

In other words, he can't take that the Empire he helped build just suddenly fell from grace, so he bit the bullet while serving at the camps. He wanted to get the Germany he loved back to the top, even at the price of political liberties. He just didn't expect that Hitler will actually massacre the Jews, knowing that they'll gain nothing if Hitler did so.

Wow, so "sense of duty" is more important than mass murder? What an complete and utter wanker...

You're taking this in the wrong way. He was immortal, not invulnerable. And so, since he has no other powers than immortality, what can one man do to stop a massacre that grand in scale. Remember, he lost hope and he became cynical.

That really doesn't absolve him, at all. He knew they were murdering people, and yet he not only refused to help them in any way, but even actively assisted in ensuring that they would be murdered. Saying "he didn't do anything directly harmful" is just a bullshit cop-out excuse. The guy is an asshole.

I'm not absolving him. That's why I also said he did nothing beneficial to the prisoners as a camp guard. He is guilty of just throwing his hands up when it finally sunk in him that the Jews were going to be killed for the sake of the Nazi ideology, because he knew that he can't do anything about it as lone person. And besides, how can you say that I am absolving him if I basically just said that he did nothing to help the Jews at all, not out of hatred for them, but because of his cynicism?

In either way, he wasn't an asshole, he was a cynical loser. This, combined with the fact that he did do a one-man guerrilla campaign against the French when they got hold of Prussia back the Napoleonic Wars, is a giant wake-up call to him, as a reminder that cynicism isn't equal to practicality.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:49:06 PM by Ivan The Mouse »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »

Rattus isn't a complete asshole. The guy fought in the trenches of World War 1, most notably in Somme. When his country got slapped with the War Guilt Clause in the Treaty of Versailles and got reduced to poverty, he got really angry, so he was determined to bring his country back to prominence, especially when he was there when Prussia faced Napoleon during his conquests, when the German Confederation became the German Empire.

In other words, he can't take that the Empire he helped build just suddenly fell from grace, so he bit the bullet while serving at the camps. He wanted to get the Germany he loved back to the top, even at the price of political liberties. He just didn't expect that Hitler will actually massacre the Jews, knowing that they'll gain nothing if Hitler did so.

Except that he was guarding the camps in which the massacre took place. How can he claim not to know what was going on there?

Wow, so "sense of duty" is more important than mass murder? What an complete and utter wanker...

You're taking this in the wrong way. He was immortal, not invulnerable. And so, since he has no other powers than immortality, what can one man do to stop a massacre that grand in scale. Remember, he lost hope and he became cynical.

Well, you could walk into Berlin and shoot Hitler for one thing....

I'm not absolving him. That's why I also said he did nothing beneficial to the prisoners as a camp guard. He is guilty of just throwing his hands up when it finally sunk in him that the Jews were going to be killed for the sake of the Nazi ideology, because he knew that he can't do anything about it as lone person. And besides, how can you say that I am absolving him if I basically just said that he did nothing to help the Jews at all, not out of hatred for them, but because of his cynicism?

In either way, he wasn't an asshole, he was a cynical loser. This, combined with the fact that he did do a one-man guerrilla campaign against the French when they got hold of Prussia back the Napoleonic Wars, is a giant wake-up call to him, as a reminder that cynicism isn't equal to practicality.

My point is that there are no excuses for what he did, at all. Dumb nationalism is not a justification for overlooking mass murder.