Author Topic: Favorite F/SN Servant?  (Read 14028 times)

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Favorite F/SN Servant?
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:24:08 PM »
So yeah, thought I'd get this ball a rollin'. Also, keep it civil and at least halfway on topic in here guys. Discussion on character things and stuff is totally cool and fine. So then, cast your votes and discuss stuff!

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite F/SN Servant?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
No gigglemesh?

In the absence of Goylegamesh, I'm going to pick Lancer. What a bro. Too coo' fo this world, so gaia actively has to go out of its way to make sure he dies.

Also, there's a typo up there.
WARNING! Voters and their choices would be showned!
It should be "Will be shown", or something in the like. "Will be publicly viewable"?
I tried to go into edit Poll and fix it, but it wasn't there to edit.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »
Well, I voted for Rider, because she's awesome and really protective of her true master. Plus, she's a good person deep-down.

Also, there's a typo up there.
WARNING! Voters and their choices would be showned!
It should be "Will be shown", or something in the like. "Will be publicly viewable"?
I tried to go into edit Poll and fix it, but it wasn't there to edit.

Yeah, that was a translation error by whoever made the mod or whatever we're using, and it needed direct server access to fix, so I had to do it. I've fixed it now.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:47:40 PM by Cherry Lover »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:48:54 PM »
@Names: Ah shoot, thought I forgot something. ^_^" It's ok, I set it so you can change your vote as much as you want, I'll just add the option.

And as for the typo, as Cherry said, should already be fixed hopefully. :) I noticed it and had a good laugh at it right off the bat, so I got Cherry on it straight away.

EDIT: and Goldie added. :3 You are now able to vote for him or change your vote to him at will.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:50:38 PM by Alice »

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »
Alright, changed to Gilgamesh, because he's 100% sure of himself, listens to no man and does whatever he wants to no matter who's in his way.

Reading about nasuverse Gilgamesh is how I'd expect to read a hero from old epics, like Theseus, Perseus and Gilgamesh himself. He's larger than life, inspires awe in his words and actions and has the hubris that makes him human as well. Spot-on work by both Nasu in FSN and Urobuchi in /zero, as they seamlessly took Gilgamesh's character in his youthful days as king and put him in the grail war.

He's the character that when you see him show up, you know something big and cool is about to go down, and you love every second.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
I can't stand Gil, honestly, because a) he's a dick and b) he seems to think that being able to do what you want applies only to him. True he's not quite as bad as Zouken, but I still don't like him one bit.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
Goldie's not my favorite, but he definitely amuses me. :3 Though pairing him with Saber or Fem/MC kinda creeps me out a little, tends to be too many bad vibes, at least in the fanart anyway- still, if you like either of those pairings, it's whatever floats your boat and that's just fine. :) But yeah, he's plenty interesting, and I think he's well done as a character. Makes a fun antagonist anyway. :3

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
Yeah, I think he's a very well-done character, but that doesn't mean I like him. After all, he's designed to be hated, so if people hate him then that means he's well-designed....

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
I can't stand Gil, honestly, because a) he's a dick and b) he seems to think that being able to do what you want applies only to him. True he's not quite as bad as Zouken, but I still don't like him one bit.

a) is absolutely true, as that was a Classical Period heroic trait, albeit a negative one to promote the hero's humanity. See:Theseus, and b) is half-true as people he acknowledges can do whatever they want as far as he's concerned, as long as they know they might clash with him.

Oh yeah, one of the cool things about gilgamesh is that you know what's coming to him and he does get it, but you don't have to feel bad because you just know he lived his life to the fullest, doing anything he wanted with absolutely no regrets.

Which is why even though I love gilgamesh and I love watching him go, I never really mind when the story kills him off.

Oh yeah, and it's an interesting study in that Gilgamesh has the classical Mythic 'Hero' characteristics as they are portrayed in mesopotamian and greco-roman myths, but once he's put into a modern setting every character sees those characteristics as villainous and unlikeable(Ignoring his goals for now, I mean his ego and do-whatever-he-wants attitude). Really shows the difference in timestamp between himself and the rest of the Fate cast, even among the other heroes. Medea and Hercules might have seen it as normal instead of pompous, seeing as they were around when Theseus was, but medea never really interacts with Gil and Hercules is berserker.

I don't know if he was designed to be hated, but he was designed as a character with a personality and goals, which is why some people like him and others don't: He's not a stereotypical villain who eats babies just so the story can let you know you're supposed to hate him. If he was, people would only like him ironically. He's presented as a man who knows what he wants, and will do what he has to to get it, even if those actions are villainous.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »
Well, yeah, it's notable that two of the main servants are actually villains from Greek Mythology, and both of them are played as somewhat sympathetic victims of the Gods rather than pure evil monsters (although Rider more so than Caster). Certainly Perseus is not described in a particularly flattering manner, although Rider is admittedly rather biased in that regard.

And, yes, it's quite possible that Caster would see his actions as normal, but I doubt that she would see it as acceptable. I think a lot of her attitude towards people (especially men) is precisely because she assumes they're all like that.

I guess you're mostly right about the attitude towards Gil, though, although in reality I don't think most heroes would have been any better even further forward in time. It is notable that the one person who does get on with him somewhat is Zero Rider, who is from the same era.

And, no, he's not a stereotypical villain, but I do think Nasu expects you to dislike him, because his attitude is so alien to modern people. Although I'm not so sure it's the "do what you want" attitude so much as the fact that he expects everyone else to bow down before him that causes him to be hated.

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »
And, yes, it's quite possible that Caster would see his actions as normal, but I doubt that she would see it as acceptable. I think a lot of her attitude towards people (especially men) is precisely because she assumes they're all like that.
She's probably see him as an obstacle to her own plans, but she wouldn't really think "What he is doing is morally unacceptable". And even if she did, she would have no moral grounds to do so.

Medea, after originally being wronged by Aphrodite with the whole Jason thing, went off to Athens, where the king was very nice to her and loved her dearly, to plot behind his back to steal the throne for her son. She then repeatedly tried to kill the then clear-cut lawful good hero Theseus, who at the time had just cleared the highway of a number of brigands and was a stranger to the King, despite Theseus having done her no wrong other than existing as the King's trueborn son, which was unknown to father and son at this point.

She may have been the first one wronged, but that doesn't excuse that she was a villain afterward and acted poorly. She can't view the takes-what-he-wants Gilgamesh as unacceptable without looking massively hypocritical.

As for Perseus, he went to go kill Medusa because he said he totally could, and someone called him out on it. Sure he was a dick, but he hardly sat down and had a chat with Medusa about it. So yeah, Rider is biased, though research would prove her assumptions somewhat correct.

And medusa was hardly ever considered a villain, she was more of a victim than anything even in the original myth. Greek myths have a way of giving the victim the short end of the stick, and then giving them an even shorter end.

Now I need to read like, half of the Odyssey for tomorrow, so I'm going to get off the internet and stop posting or it'll never get done. So sorry, I won't reply to anything until maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
She's probably see him as an obstacle to her own plans, but she wouldn't really think "What he is doing is morally unacceptable". And even if she did, she would have no moral grounds to do so.

I don't think that's true at all. She would very definitely hate the guy for who he was, and not solely because he was in her way.

Medea, after originally being wronged by Aphrodite with the whole Jason thing, went off to Athens, where the king was very nice to her and loved her dearly, to plot behind his back to steal the throne for her son. She then repeatedly tried to kill the then clear-cut lawful good hero Theseus, who at the time had just cleared the highway of a number of brigands and was a stranger to the King, despite Theseus having done her no wrong other than existing as the King's trueborn son, which was unknown to father and son at this point.

She may have been the first one wronged, but that doesn't excuse that she was a villain afterward and acted poorly. She can't view the takes-what-he-wants Gilgamesh as unacceptable without looking massively hypocritical.

Well, she didn't exactly act brilliantly, but she also has good reason to hate that sort of hero. She never had the same arrogance and, plus, she was corrupted by the gods into acting as she did.

As for Perseus, he went to go kill Medusa because he said he totally could, and someone called him out on it. Sure he was a dick, but he hardly sat down and had a chat with Medusa about it. So yeah, Rider is biased, though research would prove her assumptions somewhat correct.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. He's just a good example of the sort of thing you're talking about.

And medusa was hardly ever considered a villain, she was more of a victim than anything even in the original myth. Greek myths have a way of giving the victim the short end of the stick, and then giving them an even shorter end.

Well, her monster forum is clearly the "villain", although only because she's not really in control of her actions at that point.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
Gil is great as a bad guy but he's not a hero. Not is the modern sense. Dude was a rapist in the legends and in fsn canon he adds straight cold murder and baby eating to the list.

in my case I chose Saber. She deserved more than she got imo.

Bloble

• Chaotic Lawful
  • NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
I find your lack of Lancer disturbing.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
Well, so far it's pretty evenly divided, although Caster seems not to be particularly popular on this forum....