Author Topic: Lantz's Q and A thread  (Read 21898 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Lantz's Q and A thread
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 03:45:02 AM »
Yes and no. You can't kill CG after all. You can however delay, disperse or defeat singular entities. In short he is simply a major pain to them.
So basically.... Satoshi is a walking apocalypse, and threat to humanity.

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:04:13 AM »
Those aren't the kinds of questions I was intended to be asked. However you present a great idea and I have no objections to what you propose. As long as I can get you to adjust the index in case I decide to write a sequel for any of my works I say go ahead and do as you suggest.
Fantastic.

Now I'd like to hop to it right away, but I have work tomorrow and it's past time I get some rest. I'll definitely get it done in the next few days, but you could help me with something:

You could list which works are reposts so I know what to move around or, the simpler option and probably the shorter list, you just could list for me the ongoing works(unless I'm mistaken, this is only of swords and sorcery and of flesh and fantasy, though I could be wrong) and newly posted works, and I'll make all the rest of them fit nicely into the new thread.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 04:06:06 AM »
Yes names those two are the only ones currently on going.

@arch He is counter to the method used by the counter guardians. As you know they are sweepers who slaughter everyone. Satoshi does not tolerate such a stance and so he interferes with their attempts to murder innocent people. He isn't a threat to humanity or a walking apocalypse.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:48 AM »
Yes names those two are the only ones currently on going.

@arch He is counter to the method used by the counter guardians. As you know they are sweepers who slaughter everyone. Satoshi does not tolerate such a stance and so he interferes with their attempts to murder innocent people. He isn't a threat to humanity or a walking apocalypse.
Here's the thing - by the time the CG's are called in the situation has reached the point where wholesale slaughter is the best option because otherwise humanity is fucked. By interfering with the CG's he's basically painting himself to Alaya as a threat to humanity.

Also, killing a True Ancestor with his bare hands? How the...

EDIT: For that matter, delaying a CG is basically impossible. They have a near infinite mana supply; they'll just eventually wear him down and kill him, and if one goes or is disrupted, then Alaya will send in the cavalry to eliminate that threat.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:15:18 AM by Arch-Magos Winter »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »
He's for all intents and purposes immortal so wearing him down is basically impossible for a singular entity as he regenerates as fast as they do. The Entity Alaya considers him a fundamental problem but for reasons I can not yet reveal cannot kill him.

as for arc the narration says battled, that doesn't mean kill or even win the fight.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 04:25:30 AM »
He's for all intents and purposes immortal so wearing him down is basically impossible for a singular entity as he regenerates as fast as they do. The Entity Alaya considers him a fundamental problem but for reasons I can not yet reveal cannot kill him.

as for arc the narration says battled, that doesn't mean kill or even win the fight.
Wat? Then it just sends more entities to do the job. It's the old Imperial Guard Soviet strategy - throw more bodies at the problem than it can handle.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »
Unfortunately the cgs are robots, it's a fatal flaw which renders them useless when stacked rather than avalanched.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:45 AM »
Unfortunately the cgs are robots, it's a fatal flaw which renders them useless when stacked rather than avalanched.
...OK, I think I figured out what you're trying to say -
The thing is the effort would be futile, because either way, Alaya sends another CG to either A) Finish the job while the first distracts Satoshi or B) Just fucking Zerg Rushes him with a bunch of CG's until he dies due to sheer weight of numbers. No matter how good a swordsman you are, automatons that leave no openings and are relentlessly attacking you will eventually get through enough times fast enough that Satoshi dies. Lantz. There's no getting around this. If he can survive that, he's so Sueish that it isn't even funny to mock him anymore.

Have you ever seen the Terminator? Or read fiction about hivemind armies? Units working in perfect tandem with each other are fucking scary opponents because they work together perfectly without error or hesitation. They're willing to sacrifice themselves for a fleeting advantage to allow another to land the fatal blow. It's why they AREN'T useless. It's why Human Wave tactics work, quantity eventually makes quality irrelevant if you can't stop the tide.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 04:42:31 AM »
The zerg rush only works if immediate. An avalanche works but they never summon a hundred immediately  and in the intervening time Satoshi can remove the thing causing the cg response. Hypothetically you're idea works but I never wrote them confronting him that way except twice. He ducked the first and lost the second.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 04:47:21 AM »
The zerg rush only works if immediate. An avalanche works but they never summon a hundred immediately  and in the intervening time Satoshi can remove the thing causing the cg response. Hypothetically you're idea works but I never wrote them confronting him that way except twice. He ducked the first and lost the second.
They'd then just adapt and come in force immediately every time he shows up. Alaya isn't stupid. And AHAHA no, it works even if it's not immediate. The stream eventually breaks down the rock. There's always reinforcements. Eventually, Satoshi dies. End of story.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 04:51:36 AM »
If there's no reason for the cg to show up then the stream stops. Alaya can't kill him, as I said I can't reveal why just yet. The word paradox is involved though.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:11 AM »
If there's no reason for the cg to show up then the stream stops. Alaya can't kill him, as I said I can't reveal why just yet. The word paradox is involved though.
...He interfered with them. Logically, he's a threat to the world if he stops a Counter Guardian from doing it's duty. Therefore, extermination is a priority of Alaya, as he is a threat to humanity due to interfering with it's protecting humanity.

And Paradox is always a lazy cop out excuse.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 05:01:05 AM »
He travels in time and space (space refers to other universes in this case) paradox is warranted by the nature of the story. It's not  lazy it's just a normal part of stories like his.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:02:07 AM by lantzblades »

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
He travels in time and space (space refers to other universes in this case) paradox is warranted by the nature of the story. It's not not lazy it's just a normal part of stories like his.
Here's the thing - dying in a timeline by interfering with a counter guardian while you still exist - it isn't a paradox. You can still die before you were born in a parallel reality or your own timeline. Because you dying in your timeline still means you exists - and in fact if you DON'T you might never exist. Self correcting timelines are a wonderful thing.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:32 AM »
There's only one of him Arch, can't explain further.