Author Topic: personal canon  (Read 16644 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: personal canon
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
Yeah, honestly, when there are only a handful of threads, I don't think Necroing is an issue. And, honestly, if you have something actually relevant to say then my personal opinion is that it doesn't matter how old the thread is. I only care about Necroing when it's to say something inane like "cool story".

As for the post, I agree with you entirely about HF. It's my favourite end too, and it doesn't really leave a lot outstanding, aside from Saber. Hell, it even resolves Shinji's "interpersonnal tensions", by virtue of a shadow blade to the head....

Cursed by Creation

• He Who Defies the Balance of Things
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »
Mind of Steel; I know that it's implied that Shiro will kill Illya along with Rin in the end, but personally I believe that manages to find a way to save her, and just as he becomes Kiritsugu 2.0, Illya will become Irisviel 2.0.

And before someone points out that they're related, it's not illegal for step-siblings in Japan to be in a relationship, or even to get married (heck, while blood siblings can't get married, a relationship between them isn't illegal either).
Your heart longs for the Kingdom of Freedom, a World that has no set future.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:47 AM »
Mind of Steel; I know that it's implied that Shiro will kill Illya along with Rin in the end, but personally I believe that manages to find a way to save her, and just as he becomes Kiritsugu 2.0, Illya will become Irisviel 2.0.

And before someone points out that they're related, it's not illegal for step-siblings in Japan to be in a relationship, or even to get married (heck, while blood siblings can't get married, a relationship between them isn't illegal either).

Oh, yeah, so Sakura gets murdered in cold blood, but that's just fine because Ilya at least gets sex with the Karma Houdini asshole who murdered her...?

Cursed by Creation

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »

Oh, yeah, so Sakura gets murdered in cold blood, but that's just fine because Ilya at least gets sex with the Karma Houdini asshole who murdered her...?

You do realize that lots of people will die if she isn't killed right?  And Rin almost gets a Sealing Designation due to the resulting mayhem and Zelretch actually has to intervene to calm things down.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 01:45:30 AM »
You do realize that lots of people will die if she isn't killed right?

That's not her fault, though. She does not deserve to be murdered for it. The asshole betrayed her and murdered her in cold blood, he does not deserve a bloody happy ending with Ilya.

Plus, Ilya is the Grail. Killing her ends the war instantly. Therefore, logically, MoS Shirou should do so. If Sakura is allowed to be sacrificed "for the greater good", then so is Ilya.

And Rin almost gets a Sealing Designation due to the resulting mayhem and Zelretch actually has to intervene to calm things down.

Rin almost gets a Sealing Designation because she summoned the Grail and then didn't use it, which pisses the Association off. It has fuck all to do with Sakura, who they don't even know about.

Cursed by Creation

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »
Plus, Ilya is the Grail. Killing her ends the war instantly. Therefore, logically, MoS Shirou should do so. If Sakura is allowed to be sacrificed "for the greater good", then so is Ilya.

Fair enough, I suppose.

And Rin almost gets a Sealing Designation due to the resulting mayhem and Zelretch actually has to intervene to calm things down.

Rin almost gets a Sealing Designation because she summoned the Grail and then didn't use it, which pisses the Association off. It has fuck all to do with Sakura, who they don't even know about.

Actually, they do know of her...as Fuyuki's new Supervisor, as Rin has joined the Clock Tower.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 01:53:44 AM »
Actually, they do know of her...as Fuyuki's new Supervisor, as Rin has joined the Clock Tower.

Well, yes (although she's only "acting" supervisor whilst Rin is away), but they don't know about what happened to her or the events of the Grail War. If they did then Sakura would be getting a Sealing Designation. Hell, if they knew she was connected to Akasha and receiving prana from there that would be enough by itself for them to want to experiment on her....

In general, though, Magi Sealing Designations have little to do with how dangerous you are. They're given out if you might make magic known to the public, if they want to "preserve" you or, most likely, if they're just pissed-off with you and want to exact punishment or gain something. In Rin's case, I get the impression that a lot of the Magi there wanted her land or, worse, Rin herself (she would make an excellent wife for a magus family).

Cursed by Creation

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 01:59:38 AM »
In Rin's case, I get the impression that a lot of the Magi there wanted her land or, worse, Rin herself (she would make an excellent wife for a magus family).

I know the Holy Church isn't all that different from the Association, but it's things like that that make me very supportive of the Holy Inquisition IRL and the Burial Agency/Executors in Nasu.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »
In Rin's case, I get the impression that a lot of the Magi there wanted her land or, worse, Rin herself (she would make an excellent wife for a magus family).

I know the Holy Church isn't all that different from the Association, but it's things like that that make me very supportive of the Holy Inquisition IRL and the Burial Agency/Executors in Nasu.

The Church in the Nasuverse is no better. Take a look at Ciel, for example.

As for the Inquisition IRL, I would say that they acted in exactly that fashion. If they picked you up then you were automatically presumed to be guilty and tortured into admitting your guilt, and a lot of the time you would get picked up because your neighbour was pissed-off with you and wanted you out of the way.

Cursed by Creation

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:37 AM »

The Church in the Nasuverse is no better. Take a look at Ciel, for example.

As for the Inquisition IRL, I would say that they acted in exactly that fashion. If they picked you up then you were automatically presumed to be guilty and tortured into admitting your guilt, and a lot of the time you would get picked up because your neighbour was pissed-off with you and wanted you out of the way.

I might be a bit biased since I studied in a Catholic school, but I do know that while the Inquisition was cruel and oppressive, the idea that they routinely burned heretics is actually false.  Those who confessed were usually flogged, and only the worst heretics were actually burned.  And charges of witchcraft were actually dismissed early on in the Inquisition's history; the Church refused to believe in the idea, and rejected any accusations of witchcraft as 'malicious whispers of the ignorant'.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 02:15:37 AM »
I might be a bit biased since I studied in a Catholic school, but I do know that while the Inquisition was cruel and oppressive, the idea that they routinely burned heretics is actually false.  Those who confessed were usually flogged, and only the worst heretics were actually burned.

I never said they did "routinely" burn heretics. They most certainly did pick people up and then torture them into confessing, though, and I'm pretty sure that at least some of the people involved in doing so were doing so for reasons other than religious piety.

The biggest problem with the Catholic Church (at least back then) is that it was a political entity as well as a religious one. People went into the Church not to serve God but because they wanted political power, or because they wanted the prestige and wealth that often came from being a priest. When you have that set-up you will inevitably get corruption. Even the Church itself admits that some Popes were horrendously corrupt (although mostly earlier on in history).

And charges of witchcraft were actually dismissed early on in the Inquisition's history; the Church refused to believe in the idea, and rejected any accusations of witchcraft as 'malicious whispers of the ignorant'.

Fair enough, but they certainly went after people for plenty of other things.

Cursed by Creation

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 02:18:37 AM »
All true, thankfully the Catholic Counter-Reformation set into motion the steps needed to change the Church for the better.  AFAIK, mind that I studied under Jesuits; they're reformers and are open-minded, but they're absolutely loyal to the Pope and to Rome, and they never compromise on dogma.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 02:32:15 AM »
Well, I would still certainly have issues with the Catholic Church in some aspects (for example, their attitude to condoms), but they are a lot better than they were in the past, certainly.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 02:38:06 AM »
...condoms?

Seriously, what would the Catholic Church have against them, anyway?

Cursed by Creation

• Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 02:43:51 AM »
No idea what the conservatives have against the concept of 'protection', as far as the liberals are concerned, it's a matter of personal choice.