Author Topic: Write a Fanfic... if you DARE (The Dare Thread)  (Read 13452 times)

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Write a Fanfic... if you DARE (The Dare Thread)
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Hm well, I don't read your fics so I don't really know Satoshi, so I'll pass.

Though once Arch is done his fic for Xamusel, I totally have one in mind specifically for him.
Hit me with the idea, the Shirou/Shinji fistfight is something I can crank out today without issue.

Lantz - a little bit of advice for free: NOBODY WANTS TO WRITE ABOUT YOUR OC. EVER.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:05:35 PM by Arch-Magos Winter »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
Magos, are you really not capable of refraining from making pointless digs at Lantz at every opportunity you get?

You might not want to write stories about his OC, but you cannot speak for everyone else. If you're not interested then just don't dare him.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
Well.... I won't say anything about Toshi in here, because I don't want to drag this out any more than I suspect that it will be dragged out, but while he shouldn't be generalizing and could do with being a bit less angry about it (keep that in mind, Magos), I can see his point.

It's probably not the best idea for lantz to assume everyone wants to write about his OC, especially when there's so little information. I wouldn't dare someone to write about Mille for instance unless they were a friend that already knew about her or people were already bringing her up to be written about. ...And even then, I probably wouldn't be likely to do it.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »
But he's not assuming everyone will want to write his OC. That's not how dares work.

You put the dare out there and then people make the choice of whether to write it or not. If people aren't interested then they just don't take the dare. People don't have a right to be dared by anyone on their own terms.

Frankly, I think Magos should bloody leave Lantz alone. Lantz has done nothing wrong here. He put out a dare based on what he wants to see. If I put out a dare that is hardcore BDSM, are you going to have a go at me for not being inclusive enough?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:35:33 PM by Cherry Lover »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »
True- the problem is that Toshi tends to be pushed at us at every turn, and I have to admit, it does get irritating. So I can see where Magos is coming from here.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
True- the problem is that Toshi tends to be pushed at us at every turn, and I have to admit, it does get irritating. So I can see where Magos is coming from here.

How is Toshi "pushed at us"? Lantz writes his stories like everyone else does, if you don't like them then don't bloody read them. And, if you don't want to write his OCs then don't.

There is a bloody simple solution to this. Just don't take the dare. But don't assume that everyone else will not be interested either, or try to force Lantz to conform to your wishes. The whole point of a bloody dare thread is to get people to write stories you want to read, so there is nothing wrong with Lantz doing exactly that.

Like I said, if I come out with a hardcore BDSM dare, will you have a go at me for that because you don't like it? It hardly makes the thread come alive if you start attacking people for making dares you don't approve of....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:39:29 PM by Cherry Lover »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
Oh God, that argument. I hate that argument so much. I kinda can't avoid it, I have to monitor that thread just like I monitor every other thread. And I mean every single one of lantz's things involves Toshi somehow, and it's obnoxious.

And the problem is that Toshi never goes away. Every fanfiction thread lantz participates in, he's shoved down our throats. It's hard to ignore it when it's freaking everywhere. That's the problem I have. Plus it's kinda troubling that lantz only wants to read stories with his OC in them.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Oh God, that argument. I hate that argument so much. I kinda can't avoid it, I have to monitor that thread just like I monitor every other thread. And I mean every single one of lantz's things involves Toshi somehow, and it's obnoxious.

Yes, but that's part of the job of being an admin, unfortunately. You can't expect the site to be full only of stuff you like.

And the problem is that Toshi never goes away. Every fanfiction thread lantz participates in, he's shoved down our throats. It's hard to ignore it when it's freaking everywhere. That's the problem I have.

Then we need more activity from other people. Stop blaming Lantz for things that aren't his fault.

Plus it's kinda troubling that lantz only wants to read stories with his OC in them.

What, like it is "troubling" that I only want to read stories with Sakura...?

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
I explained why I used him in these dares about a page back. I have done my best to be civil Alice but frankly between the attacks and your attitude  I'm kinda sick of this.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
I wouldn't force the site to be just stuff I like, no. But we also need actual standards. This is getting to the point where we're just coddling lantz, and quite frankly, it needs to stop.

And I didn't say anything about anything being lantz's fault. What I'm saying is that he does shove Toshi into most everything he writes regardless of context, and it is annoying. It's not good form, again, it'd be like if I forced my own OC into everything I wrote.

And no, it's not troubling you want to read stories about Sakura. But she's not your own OC that you tend to include in almost all your fanfiction either. And quite frankly... well, we're finally into this anyway, so no holding back now I guess. Toshi is a painful Mary Sue. The fact that lantz feels obligated to shove him into all of his works only reinforces this. And quite frankly, I'm kinda really tired of him.

And lantz, I'm sick of it too. Really sick of it. In more ways than one.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
I wouldn't force the site to be just stuff I like, no. But we also need actual standards. This is getting to the point where we're just coddling lantz, and quite frankly, it needs to stop.

No, we don't need "standards", because that implies that someone has to be a judge of those standards. We have no right to decree what is an acceptable fic.

And I didn't say anything about anything being lantz's fault.

You're acting like it, though.

What I'm saying is that he does shove Toshi into most everything he writes regardless of context, and it is annoying. It's not good form, again, it'd be like if I forced my own OC into everything I wrote.

I don't see why writing stories with your OC is a problem. People can write whatever they desire to write. And, dares in particular tend to be things you really want  to see that otherwise won't get written, so something like a story with his OC is sensible in that regard. No-one is likely to write Satoshi without that incentive.

And no, it's not troubling you want to read stories about Sakura. But she's not your own OC that you tend to include in almost all your fanfiction either.

There's not really a massive difference. They're both characters that we like. Just because one is designed by Nasu and the other by Lantz, it doesn't mean we should be expected to take different attitude to them.

And quite frankly... well, we're finally into this anyway, so no holding back now I guess. Toshi is a painful Mary Sue. The fact that lantz feels obligated to shove him into all of his works only reinforces this. And quite frankly, I'm kinda really tired of him.

Then don't read it.....

And lantz, I'm sick of it too. Really sick of it. In more ways than one.

Sick of what? Him actually posting stuff? How terrible of him....

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
You know nothing of why he shows up Alice, frankly the term Mary sue shows me that there is no point in bothering to explain anything to you. Think as you want but honestly stay away from me. All you have done is attack me, I never did a fucking thing to you.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
*sigh* Okay, even though I'm not an admin on this forum, I have one thing to say about this situation.

SHUT THE HELL UP!!

I am not a fan of arguing, and, frankly, I'm sick and tired of bringing an otherwise perfectly fine thread to the level of stupidity that belongs in the spam section of the forums. If you guys can't bother taking this to a different part of the internet, then what's the point of having this debate at all?!

This message brought to you by concerned members of the forum.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
You know nothing of why he shows up Alice, frankly the term Mary sue shows me that there is no point in bothering to explain anything to you. Think as you want but honestly stay away from me. All you have done is attack me, I never did a fucking thing to you.
Lantz - he's a sue. Everything about him that I've seen about him raises so many of my Sue alarms it isn't even funny anymore. Your shoving him into EVERYTHING is also as Alice put, annoying and just highlights everything wrong with the character.

Mike - the problem is we're coddling lantz. He's a big boy, and needs to realize that we don't hate him personally. What we do hate is his OC.

Drawing a comparison to Sakura and lantz OC is a moot point. Sakura is a character with actual depth, flaws, a backstory, a personality that isn't one dimensional, and is a canon character. Like it or not, she's part of TYPE-MOON's lore. The other thing is that Lantz shoves his OC's in your face - "Here's my OC guys he's awesome and perfect and I want you to write a story about him and only about him and he's not a mary sue guyz srsly I hate you for pointing out his flaws and shit." - and then when we point out what's wrong with him he blatantly ignores us, deletes threads with applicable criticism, and so on and so forth.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:24 PM »
Magos, I suggest that we all take Xamusel's advice here, and just leave it. It's not doing anyone any good.