Author Topic: Sci-Fi Role Playing Game to be in the works (Kiala no Senki)  (Read 5660 times)

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
Sci-Fi Role Playing Game to be in the works (Kiala no Senki)
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:34 AM »
Kiala no Senki, or Records of Kiala, is a Sci-Fi game that takes place in the year 2413 AD (or, in the in-game calendar, 25,413 SY). Humanity on Earth has not quite reached outside its own Solar System, though the Sol System is home to a precious material called Carbon Helium that is, quite frankly, very rare outside of the Sol System, at least in our galaxy. A student at an American university had discovered a piece of Carbon Helium while traveling to Antarctica's Southern Pole and discovered that it could be used for ending the problem of energy supplies for at least until the end of the third millennium... from that piece of Carbon Helium alone.

Meanwhile, outside of our Solar System, a huge war was being waged between two factions of an empire as old as the current calendar: the Neon Warriors and the Vanguard. The reason for this war was over politics, as the leaders of the respective armies were the only sons of the previous Emperor, and only men were allowed onto the throne. The war was beginning to cool off after fifty years of fighting, because the leaders were still human (and thus able to get old at the age of 98), and a peace was being brokered between the leaders when an outside party assassinated the leader of the Neon Warriors. He was succeeded by his granddaughter, Kiala Menossi, and her two month old little brother.

The assassin reveals that he works for the Evernun Commandos, a group of terrorists that were long thought dead to the last man, except that they hadn't died off like everyone believed. The assassin also reveals that he was just one of the many warriors that will "free the galaxy of the evil inside" before he gets run through.

Also, remember the Carbon Helium? Apparently the Evernun Commandos were the first to discover the Sol System and start mining the Carbon Helium from the furthest Plutoid from the Sun, meaning they legally have a claim to the Sol System now.

...well, something like that is what I have in mind for the game story, to be honest.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-Fi Role Playing Game to be in the works (Kiala no Senki)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
Having studied less than a semester's worth of chem I can say this - Carbon helium is chemically impossible. It couldn't form ionic or coavalant bonds, and I don't think Dipole-Dipole forces or London Dispersion forces could overcome that.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:18:48 PM »
Anything bonded to Helium is chemically impossible (excepting possibly Fluorine). Helium is entirely unreactive. Not sure how I missed that....

Although, then again, there's no such thing as dilithium either, and nor is any kind of matter going to be able to focus anti-matter safely. Star Trek still got away with it....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:20:01 PM by Cherry Lover »

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »
Okay, you two, got any better ideas what could be used in the place of Carbon Helium?

No, I don't mean that sarcastically, I mean it quite honestly.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:38:04 PM »
Not really, but preferably something less obviously ridiculous to anyone who knows Chemistry....

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »
*sigh* I guess that's as good as I'll have to get with this... unless the idea of a solid form of hydrogen is a good one.

I'm seriously hoping for a good idea that won't be silly... though no idea what now.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
I think just making something up is probably better than using existing elements with properties they don't have....

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »
Hmm... good point.

How about... a-HA!! A previously unheard of element called Hydrium, which is super abundant in the Sol System, just not specifically Earth. It's a solid that gives off clean nuclear energy for a really long time (not sure what the exact amount of years would be)... and the number of years would depend on how large the piece of Hydrium is.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
Hmm... good point.

How about... a-HA!! A previously unheard of element called Hydrium, which is super abundant in the Sol System, just not specifically Earth. It's a solid that gives off clean nuclear energy for a really long time (not sure what the exact amount of years would be)... and the number of years would depend on how large the piece of Hydrium is.
Hydrium is the old word for hydrogen.

Just go with Unobtanium. Cameron doesn't own the rights to that and it's a classic science fiction trope.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
Honestly, I think "Hydrium" sounds better than "Unobtainium". Using "Unobtainium" makes it obvious you're just taking the piss.

I mean, the entire concept of picking up some rock giving "clean nuclear energy" is somewhat dubious to begin with, but at least "Hydrium" sounds plausible.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:33 PM »
Oh. I hate it when all the good names are taken.

Still... wait. What about Oxium?

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:03:53 PM »
Hawkinium.

Elements are often named after discoverers or in honor of people, so why not give Hawking something? It makes sense, doesn't sound stupid or take the piss.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:05:29 PM »
Okay, that makes sense, fortunately.

Sure, Hawkinium it is, Magos.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
Anything bonded to Helium is chemically impossible (excepting possibly Fluorine). Helium is entirely unreactive. Not sure how I missed that....

Although, then again, there's no such thing as dilithium either, and nor is any kind of matter going to be able to focus anti-matter safely. Star Trek still got away with it....
Dilithium - a bonded pair of lithium atoms. There's your answer. It'd be unstable as hell, but it's possible.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
? Okay, how did Dilithium get into play here, exactly?