Author Topic: Pokemon Megathread 2.0 (Ruby and Sapphire Remake Hype Station)  (Read 13166 times)

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Pokemon Megathread 2.0 (Ruby and Sapphire Remake Hype Station)
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:19:52 AM »
Eh, while the forum is in it's infancy userbase wise necroing isn't such a big deal, I'm starting up a new thread anyway. Plus I wanted a designated megathread for sure, so I figured we'd start up a new thread in honor of X and Y just being released.

So yeah, anime adaptations, the main games and any spin off games, manga, the card game, etc, they're all fair game in here. If you want to ask people to trade with you or fight against you and things, that's cool too. Giving your friend codes and such is cool too.

I'll get the ball rolling with a certain dilemma I'm having. ...I just got X today and can't decide on a starter. I can't decide between Disco Frog and Fire Fox. Help meee.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 02:29:24 AM by Alice »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Megathread 2.0 (Rave about Y and X in here)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:26:27 AM »
Did you play Gen one? Which starter is your favorite? This is important for helping with the starters bit

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:02 AM »
Nah, I already know which one of the Kanto starters I want (since I played Red, Blue and Yellow when I was itty bitty), it's the new starters I'm having trouble with. Specifically, I'm trying to choose between Fennekin and Froakie (the ones I referred to as "Fire Fox" and "Disco Frog" respectively).

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »
In my experience with the game (I also own X) fire fox is the winner because she gets psychic secondary typing and a huge sp atk stat (typical of a mage) she would especially be useful for having Venusaur as a secondary starter although I myself picked squirtle. Fire fox has an easier time because she isn't weak to the new fairy type

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:00:12 AM »
Hmm, so that's one vote for FireFox, and got another vote in that direction elsewhere too. May go with Firefox then. Any objections? :3

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:04:40 AM »
She's the win. Also for clarification  I have all eight badges and am raising eevee atm.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »
By the way, if people want my friend code, just give me a shout out in here, and I'll probably PM it to you. Unless people think there should be a specific thread for friend codes and stuff on top of this thread, in which case, I'll go ahead and make it.

Also, while I'm here, anyone got a female eevee kicking around that they wouldn't mind trading? In addition to whatever Pokemon is used as trade material, I'll also give you one or more of the eevees I get out of leaving them at the daycare. ....I have two male eevees, and I can try catching more on route 10, but it takes forever, so it's easier to just breed them. ^_^"

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »
Alrighty, no need for the eevee anymore, Milbunk was kind enough to trade me a ditto, so I can just breed more eevees from that. Speaking of which... I can now breed squirtles for people who chose something else for their Kanto starter. Same for fennekin (though that was never a problem to begin with since mine was always female to begin with).

So yeah, in other words, if anyone has a specific request for a trade or if you want to battle or something, just say something in here.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »
I don't do the battle and trade thing, haven't done it since Gen one. I believe that in trading Pokemon unavailable in the game it removes the challenge and uniqueness of that game. Nevertheless I do like to provide information where I can so with as few spoilers as possible here goes.

1) Shauna will meet you in the post game and trade you an egg with her starter in it, this means if you want to have a full water, grass, fire wheel pick the Kanto starter Serena's partner matches.

2) a party of six combee is your best bet for completing the pokedex as a great number of Pokemon in the wild are the second and third stage. First get a strong combee and have the other five tagging along, it's best that they are all male and all possess the gather honey ability. Get into weak battles and check your Pokemon every two or three fights, usually anywhere from two to five of the combee will be holding honey, this allows you to stock pile honey to attract hordes of Pokemon and capture low stage Pokemon like Mareep on route twelve.

3)with the new super training breeding is a recommended use of your time, be sure to catch the new bird Pokemon fletchling as it evolutionary stage as talon flame often has flame body which cuts the egg cycles in half.

4) use the master ball of the version Pokemon, all the other special Pokemon are in caves and dusk balls work fine.

5) Lapras has a unique surf sprite and can learn waterfall, surf and strength, farfetched can learn cut and fly, with these two in your party your other Pokemon can concentrate on battling the baddies.

6) the number of thuder stones is limited and mareep gets a mega evolution, fot this reason think hard which Pokemon you want to evolve  with a thunder stone. I recommend eevee.

7)scouring the routes leads to rewards in the form of awesome Pokemon. There's a ton in this game despite the list of new Pokemon being low.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
Actually, you have a shot at getting more thunder stones in the super secret training regimens from the Super Training. You have to do pretty well timewise to get them, but with enough practice, it should work.

The session's name is "Follow Those Fleeing Goals!" The other training sessions of that type also have a chance to give the other types of stones depending on what the session is. I recommend designating a pokemon you're really good with for the Super Training to farm for stones if you're ever low.

And for an extra bit of advice besides what I just said? Get a god damn fairy type. A good one, like Florges or Gardevoir. Otherwise expect to be squashed by people's Goodras in link battles. I just learned this the hard way. ^_^"

Oh! Also, you'll need this if you want to exploit Lumoise City for all it's worth:

http://www.serebii.net/xy/lumiosestyle.shtml
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:20:15 PM by Alice »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
Well yes but I was referring to the ones you find in traditional Pokemon fashion. Thunder stones are rare given that you can buy fire, water and leaf stones.

And something of an update, now replaying X with Chespin, he has likely the best move pool of any grass starter. As for the fairy type both for and against its called neutral play, super effective is great but fenikin is a great example with it's fire/psychic type. It's weakness's are covered by neutrals. There's only two Pokemon I've seen that stop her, houndoom and frokies dark/water typing, two of 600 odd Pokemon is rather great, especially with her basic speed and special attack stats

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
Hate to double post but more tips.

first of all the best starter is feniken with chespin is second and frokie as a distant third. There's plenty of water types in the kalos region (beyond just picking squartle) and grass Pokemon caught early on  like oddish are far more stable then our grass starter. While there's a lot of fire types feniken is the clear winner for its strong dual typing and exceptional stat growth in speed and sp atk.

fenikin helps in basically every gym and story battle, even against elite four water Pokemon it's decent.

starting tips.

Get a fletchling, they eventually become talonflame a fire flying Pokemon with flame body. It's good for egg hatching and it can be given fly as a utility as well as being a decent fighter on it's own and as a flying Pokemon can be used in sky battles.

get caterpie, it becomes butterfree. Nuff said.

get six Zigzagoon all with pick up, you may have to save and restart the game a few times.

train you party of feniken, caterpie, fletchling, zigzagoonX3 all to level ten before seeing the tutorial about catching Pokemon. Remember to check the status of your Pokemon as the zigzagoon trio will collect items when barehanded. This will get you free great and ultra balls as well as a bunch more items for free.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 05:06:25 AM »
I have more to say but is anyone listening? I feel like I'm talking to a brickwall

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 08:19:50 PM »
Well, I just recently obliterated the Elite Four with one Pokemon (with just one or two switches to Blaziken during the Steel one). Go Go Jiraiya! Anyhow, I'll be working my way to get the post-game stuff; got Mewtwo already in fact.

I'll also be breeding eggs of some of my Pokemon (since I now have a Ditto), so if anyone needs a Froakie, Fennekin, Charmander, Bulbasaur or Torchic, well I'll try and hatch one.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
I could use a bulbasaur and a froakie for sure I think. I'll poke you over Skype when I'm ready.

I actually let myself fall behind you a bit. :P Not too far though, I'm just one more badge, one Elite Four wipe, and one Mewtwo catchin' behind ya. ...By the way, have you tried the Friend Safari yet? I'm curious what mine's type is. :3