Author Topic: Let's Play Shin Megami Tensei: Persona  (Read 16172 times)

GabrieliosP

• 達淳 - Tatsu x Jun
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
Let's Play Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:22 AM »
Okay, so here I am with a project of mine, a Let's Play/Walkthrough of the game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (True Goddess Reincarnation: Persona). Originally released as Megami Ibunroku: Persona -Be Your True Mind- (Alternate Goddess Tale: Persona -Be Your True Mind-) in 1996 for the Playstation, this LP will be of the PSP port released in 2009. The game is part of the Megami Tensei (Goddess Reincarnation) franchise, a video game franchise very popular in Japan but not in the west. It's the first of a series of RPGs that eventually overtook the main franchise in popularity (mainly Persona 3 and Persona 4).

Despite being the first game of the franchise, this one is easily the less known of them. The game was originally released in USA under the name "Revelations: Persona" and a horrible localization: the setting of the game changed from Japan to USA, all characters were renamed and some of them had their appearance radically changed to make the game more "etnically diverse", etc. Thankfully, the PSP remake doesn't suffer from this at all.

Without further ado, let's begin.

Game Opening (PSP Port):
『ペルソナ』オープニングムービー

Game Opening (Playstation Version):
[Old Games Openings] Persona OPENING

Song: Dream of Butterfly
Composer: Shoji Meguro
Singer: Yumi Kawamura

Spoiler for Translated lyrics:
Dream of a butterfly, or is life a dream?
Don’t wanna wake up 'cause I’m happier here
I was glad just to have you by my side
It was the only reality I needed
But it was all just a dream
Swaying and dissolving like bubbles in the dark ocean
When I woke up, no one was really there
There is nothing certain
Reaching for the shimmering shape in vain
That, I know is true in this place
What should I believe in to live on in this ever changing world?
I’m drowning (I can’t believe in you)
in sadness (but I cannot forget you)
calling out as I saw you (I will dig up my faith)
that night (and march on)
I believed (I cannot see ahead)
that it’s because (but I can’t keep standing still)
you are by my side (So I will close my eyes)
that I could grow strong (and march on)
I was afraid (Can’t lay the blame on you)
of suffering (but I cannot forgive you)
crying as I called out to you (So drenched up in rain)
that day (I’ll march on)
I realized (I cannot face the sun)
my weaknesses (but I cannot dream at night)
are because of you (So under the moonlight)
They all are (I’ll march on)

- Normal
- Beginner
- Expert

Hmm, let's see what all of them say before choosing.

Normal:
> “Normal” is for players who are used to role-playing games.
> On this difficulty, players may enjoy a distinct tension in battle.
> The difficulty cannot be changed once the game begins. Do you want Normal?

Beginner:
> “Beginner” is for players unused to strategizing in battle.
> The battle difficulty is lower in this mode compared to Normal.
> Choosing this difficulty will not affect the story’s outcome.
> The difficulty cannot be changed once the game begins. Do you want Beginner?

Expert:
> “Expert” is for advanced players used to strategizing in battle.
> The battle difficulty is higher in this mode compared to Normal.
> The difficulty cannot be changed once the game begins. Do you want Expert?

We'll go with Expert for this one.

> Then please sit back and enjoy Persona.

Once, I dreamt I was a butterfly.
I forgot myself and knew only my happiness as a butterfly. Soon, I awoke and I was myself again.
Did I dream that I was a butterfly? Or do I now dream that I am a man?
Yet there is a distinction between myself and the butterfly. This is the transformation of the physical.
                                                                                                                                                                                       -Zhuangzi

"Zhuangzi, or Zhuang Zou was an influential Chinese philosopher who lived around the 4th century BC during the Warring States period, a period corresponding to the summit of Chinese philosophy, the Hundred Schools of Thought. He is credited with writing—in part or in whole—a work known by his name, the Zhuangzi, which expresses a philosophy which is skeptical, arguing that life is limited and knowledge to be gained is unlimited. As a Daoist philosopher, some claim his writings reflect a form of western relativism, while others question revisionist interpretations." - Wikipedia.

The dream of butterfly appears at the beggining of the second chapter of his book. The original text is as follows: "Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Zhuangzi. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi. But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi. Between Zhuangzi and a butterfly there must be some distinction! This is called the Transformation of Things. (2, tr. Burton Watson 1968:49)".

Our game begins as a group of teenagers are in a classroom at St.Hermelin High. The current moon phase is New Moon.

: Dude, if that really worked and I could see my future, I'd be on easy street. You sure you ain't got the brain rot, Hidehiko?

> Masao Inaba (Nickname: Mark)
The spoiled son of Inaba Dry Cleaning’s owners. Earnest and excitable.

In Revelations he was changed to be black (no kidding) and his name was changed to Mark.

: Maybe not seeing the future, exactly, but weird stuff does happen. I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is if you are, Mark.

> Hidehiko Uesugi (Nickname: Brown)
Craves attention and doesn’t take things very seriously.

In Revelations, his name was changed to Brad. Thankfully they didn't change his design.

: Alright, you’re on. I’ll bet you an all-you-can-eat dinner at the Peace Diner on Joy Street.

> Yuka Ayase (Nickname: Ayase)
A troublemaking member of the suntanned, bleach-blonde “kogal” set.

"The kogal  fashion involves wearing an outfit based on a Japanese school uniform, but with a shortened skirt, loose socks, and often dyed hair and a scarf as well. The phenomenon was prominent in the 1990s, but has since declined. The word "kogal" is anglicized from kogyaru, a contraction of kōkōsei gyaru (high school gal). The girls refer to themselves as gyaru (gals), although this word is applied to several other fashion looks as well." - Wikipedia.

In Revelations, Ayase's name was Alana.

> Eriko Kirishima (Nickname: Elly)
A ladylike student recently returned from abroad. Beautiful and intelligent.

In Revelations, Elly was renamed Ellen and her hair was changed to blonde.

: Are you guys serious? Yo Kei, Yukino! Who’re you guys gonna side with?

> Kei Nanjo (Nickname: Nanjo)
Heir to the Nanjo Group. An utter pragmatist and skeptic.

Kei's name was Nate Trinity in Revelations and his hair was changed to blonde.

> Yukino Mayuzumi (Nickname: Yukino)
Trusted by everyone, she’s like an older sister to all the students.

Yukino was the least edited character in Revelations, since her named was merely shortened to Yuki.

: Ugh! You guys are so cold, y’know? Hey, who’re you with? It’s gotta be me, right?

- Bet on Mark
- Bet on Brown

Yay, our first choice in the game (by the way, that guy's supposed to be us). Over the course of the game, we'll have to make a few choices. Some of them affect whether or not we get the good ending or the bad ending, but this one has no effect over it, just a few lines of dialogue.

If you bet on Mark:

: Awww! Just wait… you’ll be sorry!

If you bet on Brown:

: Sheesh, you too? All y’alls crazy.

And now, back to the story:

: Heeheehee! This’ll be fun! Awright, let’s get started!

Master Persona

Seems like nothing happened.

: Hidehiko, you jerk! Now I look like a total idiot!
: See? A fat load o’ nothin’. Hehe… looks like I win.
: *sigh* Happy now? Hurry up and go get the teacher.
: W-Wait! Hold up! One more time! Please!? Mark screwed it up! C’mon, you gotta take it seriously when you do it.
: Oh, you little…! What a sore loser.

Mysterious spirit girl appears in the classroom. Seems like Nanjo is the first one to notice. Cutscene time! These weren't in the Playstation version, so that's why the animations are so good.

Strange Phenomena

Butterfly's Guidance

Philemon

Philemon is a character described by the Swiss psychologist Carl Jung in his texts. Philemon is a kind spirit and the spiritual guide of humanity.

That's the part where we got to name the protagonist. He has no official name, so I'm going with the name he has in the manga adaption.

The Power of Persona

TO BE CONTINUED. . .
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:50:05 PM by GabrieliosP »

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
I think that size is fine, though other people might say differently. One thing that might mitigate that is to transcribe more text outside of screenshots next to portraits like you're doing with certain portions already.

This looks interesting by the way, and you're doing a good job. :) Keep it up.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

GabrieliosP

• 達淳 - Tatsu x Jun
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
Thank you for thinking I'm doing a good job. This part had a lot of screenshots because it introduced many characters. Once the story goes  on and most of the characters are introduced, the screenshots will mostly be to show where they are and all dialogue will be next to portraits.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
No problem. :) And ah, OK, that makes sense. You're probably good as is then. :D

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:57:30 PM »
Hmm, interesting. Not sure what's going on just yet, aside from him randomly getting a persona, but I assume that will be explained eventually.

As for the images, you might as well use the full size. The board shrinks them anyway.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Quick question, but are you going to get Reiji Kido, the secret character?

Note that I am refraining from revealing anything on him myself... I don't want to spoil anything for you all.

GabrieliosP

• 達淳 - Tatsu x Jun
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »
This part is pretty much filler. The plot itself will start at the next update, when shit finally hits the fan. In this part we'll get introduced to many NPCs of minor importance to the story and well as trigerring some flags to some minor events.

When we left out heroes, they did a mysterious ritual that makes one see their own future as a joke, but called forth the spirit of a girl and were knocked unconcious by lightning. Afterwards, they met with a man in a butterfly masks that gave them Personas in response to their strong will and said that they'll need this power soon.

Part 2: Exploring the School: Meet the NPCs

Mysterious voices without images. We are waking up, thus we cannot see yet.

Indeed. It's rather extraordinary.
Think he's seeing it now too?

We've been brought to the infirmary. Makes sense.

: Ahaha, welcome to the infirmary. You sure look cute when you’re asleep.

> Natsumi Yoshino
St. Hermelin’s High nurse. She doesn’t seem to be a very good cook.

In Revelations, her name was Beverly.

That may not seem relevant, but it's part of her character. Poor lady can't get a stable boyfriend because she can't cook.

A mysterious wild Teacher appeared! Forgive the Pokémon pun...

: I was so scared when I heard you’d collapsed!

> Saeko Takami
Homeroom teacher for Naoya and the others. Very popular with the students.

In Revelations, her name was Smith.

: I’m sorry you had to deal with my students, Natsumi.
: C’mon, taking care of students is her whole job! What’s so bad about us…?
: Now, now, Masao! I want you to think about what you’ve done! Anyway, Eriko and Ayase told me what happened. No helping out for you today! Instead, go get yourselves checked out at Mikage Hospital and head home!
: So you think something’s wrong with us, too?
: Oh, not like that. I can tell by looking at you that you’re perfectly sane. But I’m worried you might have gotten hurt while collapsing, so go see the doc.
: So there’s something that can faze you, Ms. Saeko… Alright, we’ll go.
: Speaking of Mikage Hospital, wasn’t a student in your class staying there?
: You mean Maki, right…?
: Yes, that’s right. You should visit her while you’re there. She’s been laid up there for over a year now… I’m sure she’s lonesome.

And now we finally get to move our character and our objective: go to Mikage Hospital to see if there was something serious ('cause a school infirmary isn't that well equiped). Normally one would think to call an ambulance or giving the students a ride to the hospital, in the chance something happens along the way... but this is a game, an old one, and it's an excuse to let the player familiar with the town map when we get to it.

First things now, let's check the infirmary and talk to everyone in here. And lucky us, there's a box with a medicine inside near our bed. Looting school property would be wrong, but who cares? There's always time for looting in RPGs. And now the conversations:

: What were you doing, anyway? I asked you to prepare for the sports festival. We only have a month left and nothing’s ready yet. Should we just cancel it this year…?
: I know I couldn’t take being cooped up in the hospital for an entire year. Let’s go cheer her up!
: Mikage Hospital, huh? That’s kind of a long walk from school. It’s way to the northeast. You leave the school, head north… And go all the way to the 3rd ward, then take a right at the Mikage Ruins. Eh, if we just wander around, we’ll get there sooner or later.
: It seems we have no choice in the matter. Better to get it over with.
: I put a new plant there. What do you think? Livens up the room, doesn’t it? They say plants grow better if you talk to them. Give it a try, Naoya.

The nurse is talking about the purple plant at the corner of the room. We can only save the game in trees like that. Having seen all there is to the infirmary, let's explore the school.

When exploring, the dungeons are on a first-person view. Feels like you're exploring them yourself. This is actually a common characteristic of all Megami Tensei games, but Persona stopped it from the second game onwards. Anyway, the school is divided in three floors for classrooms, faculty office, etc. and an external building for the gym and sports clubs.

This is the Teacher's Lounge, we need to speak with a teacher to trigger a flag.

Male teacher: Hey, I hear someone keeps coming in and out of the open room on the second floor. Are you the one doing it? Hmm?

Done. And now let's talk to the others while we're here. Aside from our party of fainted ones, seems like Elly and Ayase are also here.

: Eriko and Yuka didn’t faint, so they don’t need to go to the hospital. Why were we the only ones…? Thinking about it, the ones who didn’t faint had played “Persona” before… Meaning Yuka, Eriko, and Hidehiko.
: It seems you’re being mistaken for someone else, Naoya.
: A guy who keeps goin’ into the open classroom on the second floor… You know anyone like that?
: I told Ms. Saeko about what happened. Brown seems to be already gone home… And I don’t think Ayase could explain it coherently, do you?
: Hidehiko took off, so me and Eriko explained everything to the teach! Man, Hidehiko sure works fast at times like these.

There's also the classroom in which we were when all of that happened, but we can't enter it. Going to the second floor, we enter the Home Economics Room. There's an auto-event in there.

Female student: He obviously ran off with his girlfriend! C’mon, it’s been two months already!
Other student: That’s a lie! That Chisato bitch tricked him! Everyone knows that girl is bad news!

In Revelations, Yosuke and Chisato were Bruce and Selina.
Let's talk to our party members and the two girls, now that we can move.

Female student: Yosuke was popular with the girls, but no one’s seen him in two months.
Other student: Wasn’t Yosuke best friends with Maki? If you’re visiting her, ask her about it!
: I was surprised too when Chisato started dating Yosuke. It was so sudden… Chisato never acted like she cared about him before. Actually, I always thought Ma—Hey, shouldn’t we get going?
: It’s true that not even I think Chisato has an especially attractive personality. It seemed as if she was dating Yosuke to show off as much as anything.
: Yosuke’s handsome and a nice guy, I hate to admit it, but he’s hard to beat!

A couple disappeared two months ago and one of them is best friends of someone we're going to visit. One doesn't even need to be genre savvy to know there's something else behind it. Let's get out of here.

Still on the second floor, we go to the cafeteria. No events here, but let's talk with everyone inside.
: Was it a vision? Is there really a girl waiting for me to rescue her? W-Wow… that’s awesome…

> Kenta Yokouchi (Nickname: Toro)
His love of food had made him physically strong, but emotionally fragile.

"Toro" is a kind of fatty tuna. His name in Revelations was Chunky.

Well-informed student: Dude, guess what I saw! Toro asked out Ayase and was rejected on the spot! I hear he’s still following her around, though.
: I believe I’ve asked this before, but shouldn’t we be going to the hospital?
: Toro’s got balls, man! I mean, asking out Ayase!? Dude… I wouldn’t go after her in a million years!
: I hate guys who see someone who’s serious about something and just make fun of it.

Moving on...

Another auto-event in class 2-4.

> Yuko Himeno
Maki’s friend. She works part-time to support her family.

In Revelations, her name was T.J.

: Um… I hate to ask, but… Could you tell Maki I’ll give back that book next time I go visit her…?

- Sure
- No way

Another choice here. Doesn't affect the storyline but influences some of the dialogue later on. Of course, we chose "Sure".

: U-Um, thanks. I’m sorry to ask you to go out of your way like that… It was a really good book, so I wanted to read it again before I return it…
: That good, huh? What’s it called?
: U-Um, “Gate to Paradise”…
: Whoa, that’s deep! I didn’t know Maki was into that kinda thing…
: If you enjoyed it that much, why not simply buy your own copy?
: W-Well… It’s kind of expensive… and my brothers and sisters need new clothes.
: Nanjo, you moron! Don’t you know she works part-time to help her family out?
: Alright, well, we gotta get goin’, but we’ll be sure to pass on your message!

After that we're kicked out of the room. Nothing more to see here, we move on.

Let's talk to everyone in order to activate another flag, first out party members:

: Hey Naoya, you gotta hear the stupid junk this guy is spouting.
: Say, what about the hospital? Weren’t we going there for a checkup?
: What’s Masao’s beef with that guy? I don’t see what the fuss is about.

And now to the student in here to activate the flag:

Serious student: Don’t you think derelict buildings should be torn down? Places like that only attract hooligans—
: Haha! “Hooligans”? Seriously? What a poindexter!
Serious student: Won’t you pipe down!? As I was saying, wouldn’t it attract hooligans? I’d certainly hate to see that happen.

Now to the last event of the second floor, the abandoned classroom the teacher told us about. Without talking to him, the door would stay locked and we wouldn't get this scene, which by itself is a flag for a later event:

: Huh? Reiji…? You’re Reiji Kido! What’re you doin’ here?

> Reiji Kido (Nickname: Reiji)
A quiet loner who transferred to St. Hermelin High six months ago.

In Revelations, Reiji was named Chris.

Reiji wordlessly walks out of the room.

: Hmph. The standoffish sort, I see.
: Look who’s talking…

Flag activated. Let's talk to everyone before proceeding.

: Reiji transferred here soon after the SEBEC Building was constructed… Oh, but we still have to get to the hospital.
: I wonder what he was pondering at a place like this…
: What a gloomy Gus! But hey, for all we know… Maybe he’s the kinda guy who secretly practices magic tricks at home.

Now we move on the third floor. There's just one NPC to meet here. He's in the library.

: Eeeheehee… I’m investigating the seven mysteries of St. Hermelin High. Want to know what I’ve learned? Eeeheehee… maybe some other time…

> Tsutomu Kurouri (Nickname: Devil-Boy)
He’s an expert in the occult, but frequently has incorrect information.

In Revelations, his name was Kain.

Now let's talk to everyone else before moving on.

: What a shabby collection… The library at home is much better stocked.
: Those two of there are making fun of Devil-Boy… But I prefer Devil-Boy to them. At least he doesn’t act all high and mighty.
: What’re we doin’ at the library? Let’s hurry and see—I mean, get checked out!
Library committee student: You see that guy over there? The one they call Devil-Boy? He tripped and fell again today during PE. It was frickin’ hilarious! He can’t even do a single push-up! What a lamer!
Male student: The way I see it, there must be demons who get along well and those that don’t. If demons who hated each other met up, I’m sure it would be disastrous.
Other student: They call him Devil-Boy, but the stuff he’ll tell you is a load of crap. I know much more about the occult. Though I could never tell the uninitiated.

Let's get down to the first floor and see the courtyard.

: It’s been part of my daily routine, ever since I was a girl… …Praying to the guardian deity that everyone grows into fine adults.

> Principal Ooishi
The principal of St. Hermelin High. She adores children and flowers.

In Revelations, her name was Kotter.

Let's talk to everyone.

: Our principal’s a cool lady… but she can get a little too lovey-dovey.
: This megalith shard… It’s a very precious cultural artifact. Who built it? For what purpose? It never ceases to fascinate me.
: I have part-time work today. Let’s hurry to the hospital and get this over with.
Female student: Ms. Ooishi is so kind. She loves flowers so much, she cares for them as if they were her children.

Before leaving, let's check out the stone.

> Hiremon Stone
This megalith was excavated when the school was first built in 1963. It’s made of thamatite and possesses an abnormal magnetism. Legend has it that a heavenly being known as Hiremon dropped it from the sky to be Mikage-cho’s guardian stone.

Almost over with the school, guys. Let's go to the access between the main building and the gym.

: If you want to get outside, the school gates are there for a reason! Our school’s swarming with degenerates like you! Ooishi is far too lenient! Now get outta here! I’m going to call a specialist and have this blocked off!

> Vice-Principal Hanya
Known as “Hamya” among the students, who despise his extreme strictiness.

In Revelations, Hanya was named Dean Harding, and his nickname was Darth Harding.
Let's talk to everyone before procceeding.

: What’s the matter? Are the school gates closed? If we don’t hurry, visiting hours at the hospital might end.
: Tch… Isn’t there one decent teacher here besides Ms. Saeko and the principal?
: Ugh, it’s Hamya. I hate that guy… Cheese it, Naoya!

Mark's statement deserves some explanation. In the Japanese version, they call Hanya "Hannya", a demon from Japanese myths. Here, they call him Hamya, a reference to how cops are called "pigs" in some slang. That's why Masao tells us to "cheese it". Leaving this asshole aside, let's go to the external building and enter the fencing club room.

> Tamaki
A transfer student who joined the Fencing Club. She’s always arguing with Tadashi.

In Revelations, her name was Tammy.

Also, Tamaki is a cameo: she's the protagonist of the game Shin Megami Tensei: if... (True Goddess Reincarnation: if...), loosely based on the French movie of the same name. The game was released for the SNES in 1995 and got a Playstation port in 2000. Sadly, no version of this game is translated, but there is an active translation project.

: Sheesh, Tamaki, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

> Tadashi
A lazy member of the Fencing Club who quarrels with Tamaki every day.

In Revelations, his name was Tad.

He's also a cameo: both his name and appearance are of the game's story writer.

: What did you say!? I’m gonna rip this trash off the walls right now!
: Hey! What’re you doing to my goddess!?
: “Goddess” my ass, you pervert! You’re the perviest pervert ever to perv!
: Arrrgh! You hag! You’re a haggity hag who hags all hagging day!

Events over, let's talk with everyone before getting the hell outta here.

: Honestly, the idiots populating our sports club… It’s all a bit too much.
: Leave ‘em alone. You know how some people are… They fight ‘cause they care.
: What a half-ass job… If you’re gonna bomb a wall, you gotta do it with more style.
: *gasp* *gasp* Yeah? I’m kinda busy here.
: *gasp* *gasp* What is it? I’m a little busy here.
Male club member: *sigh* These two are like this every day. I’m surprised they’re not tired of it.
Female club member: Tamaki’s a transfer student, but she’s good enough to place in tournaments. But she never wants to talk about her old school… Did something happen?

Let's leave this goddamned school! To the front entrance we go!

: There’s a reason it’s said that one’s youth passes quickly.
: That Nanjo pisses me off so bad… I’ll find a chink in his armor someday.
: Masao and Kei are both such children.

After that, we're ejected from the Entrance Hall.

A wild Old Butler appeared!

> Yamaoka
The Nanjo family’s butler. He’s taken care of Nanjo since the heir was an infant.

In Revelations, his name was Alfred.

: Y… Yamaoka…!
: Oh, my! Master Kei is leaving the premises with a crowd of friends! I’m… I’m so happy to see this…!
: Master… Kei?
: Y-Yamaoka! I’ve told you time and again never to call me that! You dummy!
: Did you just call him “dummy”? Hahaha!
: N-No, I, ah… Oh, be silent, Masao! Look, Yamaoka, I don’t need a ride today! Just… go back without me!
: Oh, my! Will you be going out in the town with your chums, young master?
: I’m only going to the hospital! And stop calling me that!
: The hospital!? Heavens! I do hope you haven’t hurt yourself, young master!
: Srnk… Ahahahahah!
: Enough, let’s be on our way, Naoya! Yamaoka… do NOT follow us!

After that we're sent to the city map. The city is separated in six parts:

- St. Hermelin High: The school we were just now.
- Yin & Yan: A shop. Yukino words part-time here. Later on, we can buy weapons here.
- Alaya Shrine: A shrine. We'll visit this place in the future.
- Kaneda Mansion: A mansion where a NPC lives. She's not relevant to the story in any point, so let's leaver her alone (she's kind of a bitch anyway)
- Himeno Residence: This is where Yuko (the girl who borrowed a book) lives. Nothing relevant here too.

- Doctor's Office: We can heal here, but it costs money.
- Abandoned Factory: We'll visit this place in a few.

- Subway Entrance: Connects to the other side of the city.
- Joy Street: A mall. We're going there in a few.
- SEBEC Building: A branch of the company SEBEC (Saeki Electronics & Biological & Energy Corporation). According to the NPCs, it was built six months ago. Before that, there was a haunted mansion in that place, so people say that the SEBEC building is cursed for destroying the mansion. The manga also points out how the SEBEC logo looks like an egyptian cross and is a reference to the evil god Sebek.
- Agastya Tree: Another of the purple trees. We can save the game there, too.

- Subway Entrance: Connects to the other side of the city.
- Mikage Sun Mall: Another mall.
- Doctor's Office: We can heal here, but it costs money.
- Historical Society: A museum. We'll visit this later on the game.

- Agastya Tree: Another of the purple trees. We can save the game here, too.
- Mikage Police Station: Self-explanatory.
- Mikage Ruins: Later on this will be our designated level-grinding place.

- Mikage Hospital: Our current objective, but that will be the focus of the next update, because we have sidequests to do now.

Now let's go to the Yin & Yan at Joy Street and talk to a NPC:

Reiji’s mother: Oh, do you go to St. Hermelin? That’s the school my son attends… His name’s Reiji Kido. Do you know him?

- Yeah.
- No, I don’t.

Reiji’s mother: Oh, so you know him? Ah, you’re in the same class? I see… so you must know isn’t very outgoing… It may be selfish of me to ask this, but could you make friends with Reiji?

- Sure.
- No way.

Reiji’s mother: Ah, truly? Thank you! Please feel free to come visit him at home sometime!

We talked to Reiji's mother. Now to our party:

: Are you finished here? Can we be on our way to the hospital now?
: For all Reiji Kido’s an oddball, his mother seems nice.
: So that’s Reiji’s mom… She seems so classy. A pretty far cry from mine… Ugh.

Still on Joy Street Mall, let's visit the casino:

: What’s the matter, Naoya? Have you suddenly cottoned to gambling?
: Masao’s pals are weird as ever.
: You know, I like the slots too, but we should play after out checkup!
Gambling addict: Dammit! I’m broke again! After all my losses, the next one who plays this machine oughtta win big… Wait, are you up next? Aww, this sucks!
Overly cheerful man: Heehee… You guysh are Mark’sh friendsh? Heeheeheeeee! Loksh like you guysh ain’t the onesh!

Blonde man: Dude supposedly has a scar on his head. He shouldn’t mess with the Tailors!
: Just ignore those guys. They’ll get bored and wander off before long.

Guy with a scar on his face at the Abandoned Factory? Sounds like Reiji. In case you haven't noticed, this was a flag. Let's visit the Abandoned Factory.

: Hm…? Masao, is he one of your “crew” as well?
: Say what!? Huh…? So you’re the dude with the scar on his head… What’re you doin’ here?

Reiji silently walks away.
: What’s that supposed to mean? Hey, wait a sec!
: I wonder what he’s wandering around for…

Before finishing this part, let's visit the SEBEC Building:

: This ain’t a playground for brats like you. Hey, toss these kids out!

> Takeda
Kandori’s right-hand man who carries out SEBEC’s illegal operations.

In Revelations, his name was Tiny.

: Kandori…!

What business does the scion of the Nanjo family have with us?

> Takahisa Kandori
The ambitious branch president of SEBEC. Sinister rumors circulate about him…

In Revelations, his name was Guido Sardenia.

Also, according to some NPCs, he's a St. Hermelin High alumni.

: I didn’t come here for you. I’m only tagging along with these people.
: Aha… Then these must be the young master’s school friends. You accompanied them to a sordid place like this? Quite a friendship indeed…
: Cease calling me “young master”. I never gave you permission to use that name.
: You little--!
: Calm down, Takeda. It seems the Nanjo family lacks discipline… Well, I’ll allow it. But Nanjo… I will teach you the proper form of address to your betters.
: Nanjo’s an insufferable dick, but you’re a hell of a lot worse…!
: Tch… It’s about time, Mr. Kandori.
: Yes. I’ll be right there. Now then, the time has come for me to ask you all to leave.
: Heh! Let’s go, Naoya!

After that we're ejected out of the SEBEC Building. Now that we've done all of this mostly useless things, we can move on the real story. This part was long because I wanted to put it all in one big update.

TO BE CONTINUED. . .
Next time: Plot ensues.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 02:18:22 AM »
I'm glad you covered the appearance of Kandori and his subordinate Takeda... that was completely missed by me on my playing the game!

Er... now that I'm curious:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Will you cover the Snow Queen Quest as well as the main quest?

GabrieliosP

• 達淳 - Tatsu x Jun
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:27:47 AM »
I'm glad you covered the appearance of Kandori and his subordinate Takeda... that was completely missed by me on my playing the game!

Er... now that I'm curious:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Will you cover the Snow Queen Quest as well as the main quest?

Yes.

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 02:36:28 AM »
Thanks for being clear about that. I'll patiently wait for both this part and the other one to be complete.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
Hmm, do you get any indication in-game that you're meant to walk around the school talking to everyone before heading to the hospital, or were you solely doing so from experience? If it's the second, it seems like it would be quite easy to miss a lot of stuff.

Also, I have some comments.

That may not seem relevant, but it's part of her character. Poor lady can't get a stable boyfriend because she can't cook.

Lol, what? The 20th Century seems to have bypassed the authors somewhat....

Normally one would think to call an ambulance or giving the students a ride to the hospital, in the chance something happens along the way... but this is a game, an old one, and it's an excuse to let the player familiar with the town map when we get to it.

Really?

I wouldn't expect to have an ambulance called in those circumstances, although someone driving them might be plausible. Ambulances are for emergencies....

First things now, let's check the infirmary and talk to everyone in here. And lucky us, there's a box with a medicine inside near our bed. Looting school property would be wrong, but who cares? There's always time for looting in RPGs. And now the conversations:

Heh, yeah, RPGs don't really seem to have much of a concept of "theft". But, then, if you're busy saving the world then, honestly, I think you're fully entitled to  say "fuck you" to property laws. I think that not dying is somewhat more important....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:22:15 PM by Cherry Lover »

Xamusel

• NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:20:14 PM »
Er, Cherry, you forgot the beginning of the quote tag there. Just something I thought you might want to know.

...then again, given that you pretty much copy-pasted the whole thing and made sure to correct it by now, I don't have anything to say about that right now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:57:37 PM by Xamusel »

GabrieliosP

• 達淳 - Tatsu x Jun
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 09:58:14 PM »
Hmm, do you get any indication in-game that you're meant to walk around the school talking to everyone before heading to the hospital, or were you solely doing so from experience? If it's the second, it seems like it would be quite easy to miss a lot of stuff.

I did it from experience. Yeah, all of that stuff is missable, but we'll get to meet all of those NPCs sooner or later so it's just an early introduction to them. Everything in here apart from the scene at the infirmary and meeting the butler is optional.

Lol, what? The 20th Century seems to have bypassed the authors somewhat....

Yeah, but Japan is still to this day a very traditional country. They're getting better, but Japanese still have some sort of prejudice against women who can't cook. But then again, Natsumi lives entirely off convenience store's pre-made lunches and pretends to cook them to her suitors.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
I did it from experience. Yeah, all of that stuff is missable, but we'll get to meet all of those NPCs sooner or later so it's just an early introduction to them. Everything in here apart from the scene at the infirmary and meeting the butler is optional.

Ah, OK, so you wouldn't lose out on much by missing it?

Yeah, but Japan is still to this day a very traditional country. They're getting better, but Japanese still have some sort of prejudice against women who can't cook. But then again, Natsumi lives entirely off convenience store's pre-made lunches and pretends to cook them to her suitors.

Yeah, I guess. It's more of an issue with Japan as a whole than with the authors of this specifically.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:51:59 PM by Cherry Lover »

GabrieliosP

• 達淳 - Tatsu x Jun
  • Data Fragment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
No, aside from being introduced to the characters only when they start having relevance to the story, which is some cases might make them look like the authors pulled a character out of nowhere because it was convenient to the plot.