Author Topic: The BMW2 Production Thread  (Read 20283 times)

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: The BMW2 Production Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 03:41:34 AM »
Well, depending on what we intend to do with the game engine, help with the coding would probably be quite useful. I can't really write a game engine by myself.

Right now, we're still working on getting an engine sorted. The original BMW engine limits what we can do quite a lot, but we don't have an obvious replacement, and writing one from scratch is certainly not a one-person job. So, if you have any suggestions or ideas on that it would be helpful.

ZidanReign

• Maximum Shitposter.
  • Spiritron
  • I did it. I killed God.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 04:00:42 AM »
thanks, while my history with you isn't entirely the best, i look forward (hopefully) to see this project go somewhere again with its revival, if serious, ill be sure to put in my part on promising to help

i'll be on the lookout for game engine codes, currently my best hope is the SRW fangame project Super Robot Wars Eternity (they've got a demo in the works and the final game soon to be released i think) and the promise of the release of their creation tools after said game release
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:03:30 AM by ZidanReign »
Asian people's eyes are squinty due to generations of staring disapprovingly at their offspring.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 04:05:46 AM »
Hmm, yeah, we did come across that before, but all we could find was an abandoned engine. If they're intending to release their tools (or, even better, the source code) when they release the game that would make it a lot easier for us.

The main problem with the BMW engine is that we can't edit it, and it doesn't allow for things like branching routes. The key is finding something that we can edit, if necessary. If that's not possible, though, then we need to do as best as we can at working with what we can get.

ZidanReign

• Maximum Shitposter.
  • Spiritron
  • I did it. I killed God.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 04:10:20 AM »
ill back whatever you find/decide on (or what i can find) and learn what i can if needed

otherwise, i'm just a grunt for you to call on when needing a little extra help in any part of the game development besides art
Asian people's eyes are squinty due to generations of staring disapprovingly at their offspring.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »
Ok I would like to give an apology first off, I've been silent about this for way too long and that's not a good thing. If I truly want to get this to work out I need to communicate more and that's what I'm going to try doing. But I can't do it alone I'll need help.

Therefore I'll ask, is anybody who is reading this interested at all about a second Battle Moon Wars game?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
Well, I'm still up for helping, but I do have a job now, so I will have less time available than I did before.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »
Of course, I understand that. Currently I believe our first more important action is to focus on recruiting people, we need to gather interest and see if they may be willing to help out with whatever skills they are able to use. We need perhaps a second writer. (DP is our first.) more programmers to help you, more spriters, more artists and such.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2014, 06:57:21 PM »
Well, we definitely need some artists, and I think I'll need some help programming it, yeah.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2014, 10:47:30 PM »
I am interested but not in a number two. A spiritual successor perhaps but by no means a sequel. BMW was flawed and it's system could use updating in general.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2014, 10:55:04 PM »
What do you mean by "the system could use updating"?

The issue we have is that we need a game engine. There is no way I can write one on my own, and the only one we can find that comes close to what we need is the BMW engine itself. So, we are somewhat stuck in that respect.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
The question is, what is the nature of the fight scenes in the game, further by updating I mean that it was raw as far as srpgs go.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
We have to look at things realistically now, not what we wanted the game to be. After a lot of searching and searching we've decided that the best type of engine to use is the one that the original game used. It already has the core of what we want in our game as well as including the possibility for a little leeway when it comes to things we'd like to try, we just need more people to help us with that.

Xamusel

• Number XV of the Organization
  • NPC
  • Placeholder avatar until I can get something else
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
Hmm... I'm still willing to help. I also think that lantz has a point, in as far as this being a spiritual successor instead of an outright sequel, for a number of reasons that he didn't cover.

For starters, I'm pretty sure that the Type-MOON community is, as a whole, not quite willing to have a BMW2, especially since the first one, to my limited knowledge, didn't work the way it should have.

For another, this project is what should set the English speaking community apart from the native community, in that the game made as a fan project should fill in any and all plot holes from the originals (like, for instance, Shirou's use of Excalibur in HF Normal).

Those two reasons come to mind almost immediately... I'm sure I can come up with more later.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
The interface was made of some serious fail Mil, I mean even keeping everything else (which is bad imo because active standby sprites rather than static ones eats up time and resources pointlessly) the interface for the menus was garbage

Kat

• Moon Cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 11:07:56 AM »
For another, this project is what should set the English speaking community apart from the native community, in that the game made as a fan project should fill in any and all plot holes from the originals (like, for instance, Shirou's use of Excalibur in HF Normal).

Hire a moonreader and a loremaster to make sure you don't tarnish the canon in the process.