Author Topic: The BMW2 Production Thread  (Read 20293 times)

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
The BMW2 Production Thread
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
Howdy folks this is a thread for the discussion of the BMW2 project, a project dedicated to the production of a sequel on the game Battle Moon Wars!

We hope to bring an enjoyable experience one that follows a similar style to what BMW did but with a much better and enjoyable story.

I am the head of this particular project, with DP as the writer, and on the coder side of things we have Cherrylover but we can't do this alone!

At the moment we are currently trying to find Artists, Spriters, and Coders for this project, if anyone thinks they can help feel free to speak up!

If you have any questions or such feel free to ask.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
Re: The BMW2 Production Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »
Hmm, we certainly need artists and spriters, but I'm not 100% sure if we need more coders just yet. It depends on how hard the coding task is, and how divisible it is. Still, if people want to get involved I don't have a problem with that.

Also, for the benefit of those who haven't read the thread on BL, you should explain the idea a bit more.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
I have questions.

Q1) I've been wondering why the working title is battle moon wars 2 when it has nothing to do with the first game aside from the Super robot wars game play style.

Q2) do you guys have an itemized list of the resources you need for the game

Q3) What type of Srpg are you guys planning? A BMW clone or will it be structurally different?

Q4) what or whom is the main focus of the story?

Q5) In terms of customization what are your  plans regarding character appearance?

I have more but this should do for now.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »
Sure, the project like I mentioned is a indirect sequel to the previous BMW, though we don't have the story completed, the idea is to follow the DAA conflicts after the events of Tsukihime essentially making this what Tsukihime 2 might have been like.

Of course being a BMW game it would have a giant crossover setting with multiple Type Moon games such as FSN, Tsukihime, KnK, Fate/Zero, and possibly more.

The idea is to follow the same type of gameplay as the previous one which is a turn based rps type game very similar to that of the Super Robot Taisen series, but with an enhanced engine fixing things and making other things better.

Nice timing their Lantz lol, anyway other questions, for resources we don't have an exact list but some of the things we need include either updated or redrawn sprites of all the old BMW characters, new attacks for all characters, maps and missions which can't be done till we get a working engine, overworld sprites for all characters, and gameplay music, so as you can see we have a lot we need to work on.

For character appearances at the moment the main one is Altrouge but of course Shirou and Shiki will reappear though what we want to do if possible to give options that allow the player to choose which story Shiki or Shirou went with.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:30:40 PM by Milbunk »

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
So a tech updated clone with minor differences is the specifications  for the out set then? A bit disappointing if I'm honest. Srpgs have a bar set and BMW is way behind the curve.

Milbunk

• Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
Well the main reason the bar is set so low for us is that we don't have many people to help us out as we'd like, if we could get more then that may change hopefully.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
Well, Lantz, what sort of thing are you suggesting here? Bear in mind that we have to actually be able to write it....

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
As far as I can tell you guys aren't completing things in a sensible manner. You need a basic story mock up first and build from that.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
Actually, I think they do have a story, although I've not yet seen it. I think they're keeping it fairly secret, though, at least for the time being.

Also, that's actually completely wrong. The game engine isn't likely to depend too much on the story, and will take longer to write, so having at least some basic game engine there to begin with is helpful. Sprites and the like are a bit different, but even then you need the people around to work on it from early on.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
Without a story mock up you have no details on environments for the engine to use, for that matter while a test area could be used  another question arises regarding the mapping of the game graphically speaking. Is it sprites in isometric perspective or. Sprites on a 3d environment?

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »
Well, the game engine shouldn't need too many of those details, really, and those it does need should be fairly easy to change. The perspective is something that would be a bigger issue, but even then I would expect a game engine to start with more basic graphics and then work upwards from there, if we write our own rather than using theirs.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »
Yeah, story and game engine things tend to be pretty separate for the most part. The main impact the game engine has on the story is how the story is to be told, which is mainly connected to the limitations of whatever engine you're using. But yeah, it's usually not a bad idea to get the engine stuff established first using more basic assets before increasing the complexity, because your game's engine is its heart more often than not.

As for BMW, it definitely has its flaws, but it isn't a horrible game, certainly. It's can be pretty fun when the Battle Masteries aren't completely stupid (there's a few of those, yes. That one stage where you have to position Ciel in just the right place in order to keep that one girl from being killed, I hate you so much). Plus the item/skills/stats system suffers from being somewhat confusing and not explained well enough, and the lack of points and how certain points are shared between certain sets of things can be a bit frustrating. However, it has its fun moments, and has the potential to be really fun if it's cleaned up and the flaws are addressed.

And I can serve as an artist if we absolutely can't find/afford anyone else. I don't think I'm that awesome at it, but I have the benefit of being free of charge, and it's better to have a mediocre artist than no artist at all. Still, if we can find someone willing to do this that's far more experienced than I am, that'd be good, but at least I can serve as a fallback if all else fails. I'm not a spriter though (though I can do some recoloring and minor tweaks if need be), so we'd still need that even if we end up using me as an artist.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

lantzblades

• Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 07:35:10 AM »
So effectively you guys don't care about artistic design. This is at least what got about it from what you've said.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
...Huh? We're saying that the engine and other nontechnical aspects such as story and art design tend to be somewhat separate or at least at first, not that we don't care about how the game looks or its aesthetics. ...I wouldn'tve suggested finding an artist better than me if at all possible if that was the case. :P How'd you reach that conclusion? 

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
So effectively you guys don't care about artistic design. This is at least what got about it from what you've said.

No, we do, but if the engine is written remotely sensibly then it should be largely if not entirely independant of the art.