Author Topic: of swords and sorcery  (Read 7673 times)

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Re: of swords and sorcery
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 06:20:20 AM »
That's much better. :)

And I'll be here to try and limit the ragetasticness. So it hopefully shouldn't be a problem from this point forward.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
  • Techpriest of Beasts Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 06:24:22 AM »
That's much better. :)

And I'll be here to try and limit the ragetasticness. So it hopefully shouldn't be a problem from this point forward.
Thanks, but I'm making no promises depending on how Lantz reacts.

Really, the behavior he's shown on BL has been nothing short of mindbogglingly childish, deleting threads for no reason other than someone took the time to point out the flaws in his story or ideas.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 06:35:43 AM »
The best thing to do if he reacts childishly is to ignore him. I know it's not the easiest thing (anger makes it hard not to focus on whatever caused it in the first place, after all), but unless you can trust yourself not to rage, it's best to try and hold back if you can.

I don't know if you're doing these things already, but honestly, if it's getting to you, it helps to either vent to a friend in private or even just type out the stuff that makes you rage out on a word doc or a blank pm or whatever equivalent you prefer.

...If I sound patronizing at all, my apologies in advance, I'm trying to be helpful, not annoying. ^_^" 

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »
The best thing to do if he reacts childishly is to ignore him. I know it's not the easiest thing (anger makes it hard not to focus on whatever caused it in the first place, after all), but unless you can trust yourself not to rage, it's best to try and hold back if you can.

I don't know if you're doing these things already, but honestly, if it's getting to you, it helps to either vent to a friend in private or even just type out the stuff that makes you rage out on a word doc or a blank pm or whatever equivalent you prefer.

...If I sound patronizing at all, my apologies in advance, I'm trying to be helpful, not annoying. ^_^"
Oh no problem, its just I suffer from the 'OH SHINY' problem more than most. Plus releasing rage on Lantz is therapeutic.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
Your presence is not constructive. It never has been Arch and you know it. You violated the rules on bl in the discussion, it is clear to me that you are only here to be disruptive. I do not wish to hear your opinions on my work as they are not intended to help. Other people may have points but the discussion is over on bl, I'm not looking to discuss the work here or anywhere else with you involved Arch. I will not answer your questions or comments further. Now please do everyone a favor and leave me and my work alone.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
While I'll definitely speak up if he keeps including the insults, even hand out punishment if I have to, but he has the right to post in here so long as he tries to control his anger about how he posts.

Alice, sure he has the right to post, but he doesn't have the right to do so solely to troll Lantz, which is what he is doing here.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
Your presence is not constructive. It never has been Arch and you know it. You violated the rules on bl in the discussion, it is clear to me that you are only here to be disruptive. I do not wish to hear your opinions on my work as they are not intended to help. Other people may have points but the discussion is over on bl, I'm not looking to discuss the work here or anywhere else with you involved Arch. I will not answer your questions or comments further. Now please do everyone a favor and leave me and my work alone.

Wow ignoring legit criticism in a well written post that explained my problems with it and suggestions on how to fix it. Truly the act of a genius.

Or not. Seriously Lantz, when people have an issue with a story usually it's a good idea to listen to their complaints and attempt to address them. As Ergast said in the BL thread, either
a) Everyone is misunderstanding everything (Unlikely due to Occam's Razor and simple probability)
or
b) You're dodging criticism

I tend to think you're following the second philosophy much to your detriment.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:29:27 PM by Arch-Magos Winter »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Magos, you are not making "legit criticism", you are just bashing him. You have, so far, basically told him to delete the entire fic, re-write the character and start again. And, you're not doing it in a nice way, either. If you don't like the fic and have nothing useful to contribute, then just go away and leave him alone.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
Magos, you are not making "legit criticism", you are just bashing him. You have, so far, basically told him to delete the entire fic, re-write the character and start again. And, you're not doing it in a nice way, either. If you don't like the fic and have nothing useful to contribute, then just go away and leave him alone.
At this point, it's honestly the best thing to do, and I don't know how I could put it any nicer. I also offered advice on his formatting and shit in one of my posts along with other recommendations (Find a better beta, work on your formatting, and actually take critique instead of dodging it.)

If tough love is the only way to get Lantz to improve then that's what you need to give him.

So no, I'm not just bashing him, and if you think I am I have several bridges in New York that I want to sell you for cheap.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
Well, with regards to the beta, that would be me.... Honestly, I don't think I'm that great either, but it's better than nothing.

And, if you don't like the fic and Lantz isn't going to listen to you (both of which are clearly true at this point) then why are you even in the thread? You're not helping anyone at this point, you're just annoying Lantz. I think it would be better if you just keep away and leave him to it.

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
Well, with regards to the beta, that would be me.... Honestly, I don't think I'm that great either, but it's better than nothing.

And, if you don't like the fic and Lantz isn't going to listen to you (both of which are clearly true at this point) then why are you even in the thread? You're not helping anyone at this point, you're just annoying Lantz. I think it would be better if you just keep away and leave him to it.
Because the 'Don't like, don't read' attitude kills criticism.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
Lantz does not want your criticism and you are being seriously impolite about it. There is nothing more you can say that can help the fic, so why are you even here?

Arch-Magos Winter

• The Machine Prophet
  • Servant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »
Lantz does not want your criticism and you are being seriously impolite about it. There is nothing more you can say that can help the fic, so why are you even here?
Because watching trainwrecks is fun.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »
That doesn't mean you have to post.

If you are posting just to piss Lantz off then you should not be posting at all. And, right now, I do not see anything remotely constructive coming from you.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
While I'll definitely speak up if he keeps including the insults, even hand out punishment if I have to, but he has the right to post in here so long as he tries to control his anger about how he posts.

Alice, sure he has the right to post, but he doesn't have the right to do so solely to troll Lantz, which is what he is doing here.
He was at first, but for now he's behaving... well, mostly. And he did say some legit criticism after I told him to tone down the insults. Again, if he goes too far, I'll act.

That said, Magos, this
Because watching trainwrecks is fun.
is something I'd rather you avoid. Constructive criticism is more than fine, as is your comment about the "don't like, don't read attitude (which has quite a bit of truth in it), but stuff like that quote is getting a bit close to trolling territory. I'd rather avoid having to start handing out warnings.