Author Topic: Favorite Type-MOON Character(s)?  (Read 13628 times)

Saber

• King.
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Type-MOON Character(s)?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 12:23:45 PM »
Saber (Arturia) and Shiki Ryougi.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
Any reason for those?

The Man With All The Cute Boats

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
  • This is too lewd for me, Sir
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
Any reason for those?

Liking things isn't always driven from reason.

For example, my favorite character is Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi, sexy bastard that he is. You call him a dick all you like and be completely right, but he knows what he wants and goes for it, has a strong sense of what's right and wrong (even though his standards of both are slightly different) and at the end of the day he has his priorities straight(Protect waifu).

Gotta respect that.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »
That's not entirely true. There might not be any rational reason for why you like them, but there is usually something that causes it (as with your example).

Of course, if the reason is just "dunno, I just like them" then fair enough. I'm not demanding anything, just trying to get some discussion.

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
A success then, as we've now had a discussion about people liking characters.

And now for another character I like, Ayako Mitsuzuri, due to a combination of her attitude and circumstance: She's a complete casual in a supernatural and dangerous area, who is literally a stone's throw away from it all (her bff is Rin, she's in a club with the Matous, is friends with Shirou), and if she were to find out, she's a hardheaded individual with a good head on her shoulders, a healthy and strong attitude and talent in martial arts. She could easily be part of a story on the supernatural side, even without fighting the big fights. So much potential to her.

And I have a thing for those archery gi and neck-length hair. Hm-hm.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
Honestly, Ayako doesn't seem like she's particularly fleshed-out as a character, although I guess she does have potential to be more than she is if someone wanted to include her. Certainly she has a lot of connections, particularly in terms of stuff related to Sakura and Rin. She's probably one of the relatively few people who would reasonably be able to notice Rin's relationship with Sakura is more than she lets on, for example.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
I like the dynamic she has with Rin- their friendly rivalry/antagonism makes for an interesting friendship. Plus I find the possibility of her being with Lancer that's presented in Hollow Ataraxia kinda fun. :) Plus she's level headed, smart, capable, and can defend herself, these are all good things. Honestly, having something that follows her character would be pretty interesting. 

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

• L-lewd
  • Administrator
  • Sentient NPC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »
Honestly, Ayako doesn't seem like she's particularly fleshed-out as a character
There's a(many, actually) reason I love etrian odyssey: the story is scarcely told, but strongly where it is. It's the same with Ayako: we don't know her life story, but when on screen she presents herself in a clear way, to the point where we can understand her character in the few encounters that she gets.

And really, what's to flesh out? She's an ordinary person. Probably just has ordinary people troubles.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2013, 08:14:35 PM »
Well, I mean more in terms of her personality. We get some detail, but nothing like what we get for the more important characters.

KAIZA

• Best Oni
  • Administrator
  • NPC
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
Oh, Ayako; she's a favorite of mine. I'll admit though, most of that is because of all the Ronpaia doujin featuring her. But, even from what we got in the VN I still found her very likeable.

And the looks, of course. She looks damn good.

Saber

• King.
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
Any reason for those?

Mainly their roles, personalities, powers. Saber has quite the dignity that I like and somehow I can relate to her personality, I suppose. However, other people like her mainly because she is the most popular character out of Type-Moon.  Unfortunately though, her route is quite 'unfair', I was always expecting much more focus on her character back then.
And I find Shiki an extremely unique  and complex character.

Liking things isn't always driven from reason.

For example, my favorite character is Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi, sexy bastard that he is. You call him a dick all you like and be completely right, but he knows what he wants and goes for it, has a strong sense of what's right and wrong (even though his standards of both are slightly different) and at the end of the day he has his priorities straight(Protect waifu).

And I agree with that. Usually people like characters that are popular just because. The design also plays an important role. There are characters with a totally empty personality, yet they are able to become popular just by their design. Also, the anime plays an important role, mainstream popular anime tend to make their main characters popular enough.

I have seen people that never played x game for example and they like x character because he/she looks strong, has good looks, etc.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 01:42:42 PM »
Mainly their roles, personalities, powers. Saber has quite the dignity that I like and somehow I can relate to her personality, I suppose.

Yeah, fair enough.

Personally I can't, really. I dislike the concept of Chivalry (to me it was just an excuse for the powerful to ensure that the wars they caused would have as little effect as possible on them, not to mention extremely sexist, especially the more modern concept of it) and I'm not too fond of Saber's overly-honourable and lawful nature, either. She seems to follow rules just because they're rules, and to me that is idiotic.

However, other people like her mainly because she is the most popular character out of Type-Moon.

I'm the opposite, honestly. A large part of why I dislike Saber so much is because of her popularity, and how she always hogs the limelight and appears everywhere. Especially when Sakura is largely ignored.

Unfortunately though, her route is quite 'unfair', I was always expecting much more focus on her character back then.

What do you mean?

I thought her route focussed on her a reasonable amount, honestly. Not as much as HF does on Sakura, no, but more than UBW does on Rin. And, Saber does get some character development outside of Fate, too.

And I agree with that. Usually people like characters that are popular just because.

Really?

I find the opposite. If a character is popular they tend to be disliked for that. Although, there is a certain hive-mind aspect that comes about sometimes, particularly with regards to attacking less-popular characters (Sakura on 4chan and various other places, for example).

The design also plays an important role. There are characters with a totally empty personality, yet they are able to become popular just by their design. Also, the anime plays an important role, mainstream popular anime tend to make their main characters popular enough.

I have seen people that never played x game for example and they like x character because he/she looks strong, has good looks, etc.

That seems like a bizarre reason to like a character, honestly, but I guess that people don't have to always justify it....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »
I think when it comes to liking a character for a design alone when they don't yet have a personality, part of it may be that the design itself kinda gives the character some personality. It may be the potential of what the design could be more than anything that draws people to it. Though then, sometimes people just like a thing because they like a thing.

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

lantzblades

• Black King of the round table
  • Alter Ego
  • GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
Top three Kohaku, Ciel and Saber, in that order

Saber

• King.
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »

Personally I can't, really. I dislike the concept of Chivalry (to me it was just an excuse for the powerful to ensure that the wars they caused would have as little effect as possible on them, not to mention extremely sexist, especially the more modern concept of it) and I'm not too fond of Saber's overly-honourable and lawful nature, either. She seems to follow rules just because they're rules, and to me that is idiotic.

I do not think she had that many options though, especially as a King back then. Such ages were different and of course the modern ages are entirely different. And she is an idealist pretty much.

I'm the opposite, honestly. A large part of why I dislike Saber so much is because of her popularity, and how she always hogs the limelight and appears everywhere. Especially when Sakura is largely ignored.

Acceptable. Very popular characters can also annoy me, especially when people care only about them. I believe part of why Sakura is the least popular out of Saber and Rin is because she is not a 'fighter' (except when she goes all yandere in HF) and because she is quite ignored in the first two routes.

What do you mean?

I thought her route focussed on her a reasonable amount, honestly. Not as much as HF does on Sakura, no, but more than UBW does on Rin. And, Saber does get some character development outside of Fate, too.

It focused a lot on her relationship with Shirou and sadly her route wasn't that exciting. Also, as a reader, you were expected to have knowledge of Arthur's legend. It would be good enough if they could add part of her background in the route.

Really?

I find the opposite. If a character is popular they tend to be disliked for that. Although, there is a certain hive-mind aspect that comes about sometimes, particularly with regards to attacking less-popular characters (Sakura on 4chan and various other places, for example).

I have noticed though that people like to put mainstream characters in their favorites, for example Lelouch, Light, etc. Perhaps that gives them some sort of image that they are fond of 'good' characters, even if majority of those characters are overrated.

That seems like a bizarre reason to like a character, honestly, but I guess that people don't have to always justify it....

It is. Or they like a x character because he/she has a lot of merchandise that they can purchase.

I think when it comes to liking a character for a design alone when they don't yet have a personality, part of it may be that the design itself kinda gives the character some personality. It may be the potential of what the design could be more than anything that draws people to it. Though then, sometimes people just like a thing because they like a thing.

I am not sure how a design would give a personality. Of course, if a designer makes a cute-looking character, most of the times you can assume that the certain character will be naive. I suppose I can give an example. But I have noticed that most of the times, a character is liked due to the design.