Author Topic: Type Moon Personality Quizzes  (Read 10582 times)

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
Type Moon Personality Quizzes
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »

Besides running the forum, I can provide avatars for people as well~
This is my mod voice. ...Most of the time anyway.

Willy Vereb

• Spiritron
    • View Profile
Re: Type Moon Personality Quizzes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:55:59 PM »
Tohsaka Rin
Archer
Archer
Tohno Shiki

Those were my results.

LostHanyou

• The Hero DSM Needs
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »
I was thinking of making a personality quiz for Fate/Stay Night, and at least make it better than the ones I've seen.

I'd go about it by categorizing different characters as a certain brigg-myers type and having questions that are more typical of an organized personality quiz (so none of that "what is your favorite color?" stuff), and maybe a few fun questions at the end.  However, it's pretty difficult to categorize characters with any certainty.

Stuff like Rin being INFJ and Sakura ISFJ was the idea.

I'd appreciate any input on the idea and maybe suggestions on how certain characters would be typed.  Having a lot of trouble thinking of what Shirou would be, for example.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:25 AM »
I think it's a good idea. :) I'd have to have you specify the type of Brigg-Myers type of personality quiz and do some research into it before I gave you input on types and correlating them to certain characters, but I'll definitely try to help you how I can. Would you like to continue using this thread for developing the quiz, or would you like a separate thread?

LostHanyou

• The Hero DSM Needs
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
We could probably just keep it in this thread since it's relevant to the topic.

Here's a very simple overview of the types http://www.personalitypage.com/html/high-level.html

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:43:02 AM »
Well, it's an interesting concept, although you'd have to actually get the characters to fit the types first. Also, I suspect that would throw up some odd results, because it doesn't take into account things like morality.

Also, I'm not sure you'd find characters to fit all of the types, honestly, or at least not characters that would make sensible matches. For example, I'm not sure who would be INTP or INTJ, since those character archtypes don't tend to show up very much in fiction of this form.

Shirou seems like he's probably INFP, at least initially. He's generally pretty introverted and he definitely tends to act more on emotions. The N and P part I'm not quite so sure about, though. I think I'm mainly going on the description....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:46:27 AM by Cherry Lover »

LostHanyou

• The Hero DSM Needs
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:09:44 AM »
Yeah, I don't expect there to be a character for every type, at least if I'm trying to be as true to the characters as possible. 

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 04:15:11 AM »
Yeah, I think that's an issue you're going to have here. You can't really just fit the characters neatly to the categories, and nor does fitting those categories necessarily mean you're that good a fit to a particular character (as an example, a generally caring person who is INTP wouldn't fit well with a villain who is INTP). Plus, of course, you need to devise a test that actually gives the personality in a reliable way....

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »
Yeah, probably something a bit more flexible that goes more by the character's personalities than trying to match Brigg-Meyers exactly. I actually used the site you linked to find the Keirsey Temperament Sorter, which uses the same personality sortings and seems to be pretty similar in terms of its examination (plus it was free to get the basic results, so there was that too :3). Analyzing my results, I actually seem to be between INTP and INFP, leaning far more towards INFP. I actually have taken the test before it turns out- I actually got INTP as my result the first time, but got INFP when I took it tonight, and I wondered if it was a bit off. So I took the test again and got INTP again.

The reason I bring up my own results is to demonstrate that the test can be somewhat malleable with the results, and that the results may not always fit perfectly (INFP actually fits somewhat well... except for the whole "Ignores logic and facts" thing. I like facts and logic. They make sure I'm halfway right when I say things about stuff).

So we may need to make sure we set it up so the results are less likely to change so quickly, and also make sure the results are able to correlate to each character so that it's truly a test to see which character a person is the most like.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:43:21 AM by Alice »

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
Well, yeah, the problem is that people don't generally fit neatly into categories. Even the people making the tests know that (that's why the full version gives you a "scale" rather than a simple number).

For example, I am generally INTP, like you, but sometimes I am very definitely ruled by emotions, even to the point of ignoring facts on occasion. In particular most of my explosions on BL and the arguments I had with the admins come more from that side, and the way I talk about people like Altima and DP is also very emotional rather than logical. Similarly, I usually fit with being introverted, but sometimes I can be more outgoing, and I can also sometimes be judgemental.

I would say you are like me. Generally INTP, but if you're stressed out or unusually emotional you end up more on the feelings side.

Your basic point is right, though. Whilst the test is useful as a basis, it is not as simple as placing people in a particular category and assuming everyone in that category is the same. Two people in the same category can be radically different, whereas two people who are in slightly different categories can actually be very similar. It's also not always even obvious which category characters fit in.

The main point of doing an actually good "which character are you?" test is to leave out the stupid questions like "what hair colour would you like to have?", and to not associate characters with abilities they use but which don't really match their personality. For example, picking "darkness" as your favourite element in the first test makes you closer to Sakura, because that's the element she uses, but personality-wise she doesn't fit with that at all. Similarly, my favourite colour says relatively little about my personality (although it does say a certain amount about my political beliefs), and certainly doesn't imply I match up to Rin just because I also like the colour red.

LostHanyou

• The Hero DSM Needs
  • Spiritron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Yeah, I see what you mean.  It would be odd for someone to get Kirei for example just because their type is similar to his, despite not being as morally...  "Ambiguous" as Kirei.  While the previous tests have stupid questions, you probably won't get Kirei unless you clearly state you don't really care about other people.  That's kind of an issue with the personality types not going into morality,  since any type could theoretically be good or evil.

Using types as a basis would certainly make the test seem more objective and less random, but without going into rationale and morality, you couldn't really say "Yeah, I'm like this character in particular."  Not sure how to make a balance between questions of personality (dealing with types) and questions of morality though.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
We'll figure something out. :) Probably including questions of both types may help, but I'm not for sure on that. For now though, it might help to establish how to strike a balance between going off of personality and using a basis of types like Brigg-Meyers, what types of questions we're going to be using, and how to make sure that we're maintaining characterization for the results in the process.

Cherry Lover

• The Maintainer
  • SE.RA.PH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
Well, I think the main point of doing a sensible test is to ask questions that are actually related to the character's personality, rather than "do you like archery?" or "is your favourite colour red?" Something like Brigg-Meyers can help with that, but the overall idea should be to match the person with the character they most closely match overall. Which means ignoring superficial traits like hair colour and, to some extent, weapon choice (particularly when that "choice" is forced on them by circumstances or abilities) and focussing on things that are genuine indicators of your personality.

It might be a good idea to write out a test and then have people see how they think a given character would respond to it. That would give a useful indicator of who would match with what. Although ultimately someone is going to have to make a final decision on how to allocate points to each question.

Also, if we do make such a test I think we should give percentage matches rather than simply "this is the character you most match". It makes it look a lot more plausible to people (particularly those on the boundary), and it's also more informative.

Alice

• Administrator
  • Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »
I think that all sounds reasonable. So who wants to start? :)